xantia fuel cap flap cover won't unlock
  • Help

Default xantia fuel cap flap cover won't unlock

Does anybody have any ideas? It just happened today . The fuel cap cover flap won't unlock. I've tried locking & unlocking several times but the fuel flap remains firmly locked & unresponsive to the central unlock command. Do I have to access the lock & switch by removing internal panels or is there some other way I can disable it & get to the tank cap ?

Advertisement

UFO

I suggest that you read the owner's manual. I am pretty sure with the XM there is a way to manually activate it - and that may include removing a panel in the boot.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Let us all know how you go - I've been waiting for that to happen on ours too

Good Luck

Ken W

Default xantia fuel cap

I jacked the car up, took off the rear rh wheel & had a decko. Could feel but not see. Prised off the motor connectors & gave them some spray with an electrical cleaner to no avail. I then read the owners manual for my pug 405 (no xantia owners guide). sure wenough it referred to an emergency lever under the rh hand boot lining near the tank. I pulled off the lining & felt a little lever which i duly pulled to no avail.

Next step was blunt persuasion. I levered the cap with a variety of blades then levered the offending lock bolt. It gave & bent & my flap came free with only minimal internal scuffing. it's still useable if ever I'm silly enough to put one of those locking assemblies in again.

I unscrewed the nut in the fuel filler recess which holds the whole lock assembly in place. It came free fairly easily & I withdrew it down into the wheel space . Yes , there is a lever which is accessible from the rear rh interior but it's not push/pull. It rotates because the locking bolt is on a worm drive & screws out & in when locking & unlocking. Here's me thinking it's sprung like any other lock .

Anyway, it was all gunked up so I'm living without it. Maybe this should go in technical fixes or archives. Nowhere Have I found the knowledge that you rotate the emergency interior lever rather than pull it. This must be yet another bureau de bastinado special.:

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by kellyo
    This must be yet another bureau de bastinado special.:
    Ah, so you have read your "Chevrons"!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Yes, from back to front.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyo
    . Yes , there is a lever which is accessible from the rear rh interior but it's not push/pull. It rotates because the locking bolt is on a worm drive & screws out & in when locking & unlocking. Here's me thinking it's sprung like any other lock .

Anyway, it was all gunked up so I'm living without it. Maybe this should go in technical fixes or archives. Nowhere Have I found the knowledge that you rotate the emergency interior lever rather than pull it. This must be yet another bureau de bastinado special.:
    I must check my owners manual. Any chance of posting a photo of this lever and where it is located?

thanks for the information
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

After I took it out I binned it & the bin has been emptied. It sits up behind the rear right hand interior trim almost directly in line with the rear of the fuel tank flap. It is integral to the lockshaft which shoots out to lock the flap. If you remove the carpet & a bit of the rear plastic you can reach up and feel a small knob. I tried pulling it but it didn't work. i think that if I had rotated it I could have wound the stuck lock shaft back into the plastic motor casing where it sits when the car is unlocked.

Thread Information