Luciern Bianchi`s DS
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Icon5 Luciern Bianchi`s DS

What ever happened to the DS that Bianchi was driving in the 1968 London to Sydney Marathon? Did it get shipped back to France or was it retired here in Australia?

Advertisement
    To Ride Is Human To Glide Is Divine

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Macoustra
    What ever happened to the DS that Bianchi was driving in the 1968 London to Sydney Marathon? Did it get shipped back to France or was it retired here in Australia?
    I've often wondered! And what about the other 2 that didn't crash?

I hope someone can answer this one - there was a replica made in France, but it was destroyed in a garage fire about 2-3 years ago.

If you want photos, I have two from the Flinders Ranges.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

A dodgy French guy did some work on my DS about 15 years ago, he worked out of a used car lot on Nepean Hwy in Melb. "on the golden mile"

He told me he was a mechanic for Bianchi's team and that he had ended up with the wrecked car, don't know what he did with it.

Mark..

I have an exact Vitesse 1/43 model of that car:approve

Dan
    1970 ID20 SUPER
    1971 DS21 IE non PALLAS,5 Spd
    1973 DS20 SUPER Singapore model but now an Aust resident(Rebuilding)
    Late 1994 Xantia VSX 5speed (for sale)
    1966 R10 round eye (sombody want to buy?)

Icon5 Bianchi DS

Thanks for the input everyone. Strange that such a famous and well publicised event and the vehicle just disappears. Did one of the local dealers grab it, and rebuild it as an Ampol ralley car? A shame if it ended up as scrap at sims metal, sent off to japan and comes back as a corolla or a datsun.
    To Ride Is Human To Glide Is Divine

Thanks for the input everyone. Strange that such a famous and well publicised event and the vehicle just disappears. Did one of the local dealers grab it, and rebuild it as an Ampol ralley car? A shame if it ended up as scrap at sims metal, sent off to japan and comes back as a corolla or a datsun.
    And there were three of them, not one. All three seem to have disappeared?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Default Lucien Bianchi's DS.

As I understand it overseas rally cars compete in Australia under a bonded ? system meaning that all cars, parts, wheels and tyres damaged or otherwise had to be accounted for and returned to their respective countries.
    The alternative possibly meant destruction or the bond was forfeited.

Any claims of a rally car with history ie the Bianchi DS being still in the country would need suspicious regard?
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 28th January 2006 at 01:52 PM.

UFO

For any froggy in NSW who goes to their respective club meetings in the hall at Five Dock, you will notice there is a pic of the Bianchi car moments after the crash with both of the guys still in the car. There is no way that the car would have been rebuildable.

However, never let an internet forum hose down any chance of a rumour running rife. I'm sure that some of us could claim that a wheel nut or hubcap on their car may have belonged to a friend of a cousin of a great aunt who once may have owned a DS or a 2CV that Bianchi may have overtaken one day somewhere on the outskirts of Paris. Waddya reckon? A guy at the pub told me. True!

Actually a guy from Namibia who has $35m in a bank account that someone left behind when they were carelessly murdered/died in a plane crash/disappeared mysteriously/was secreted out of the country during a civil war, looked it up for me on his database and when I sent him bank account details he verified the facts for me - and conveniently emptied my bank account. Roolly!

I think that the more likely suggestion is that the entire car was shipped back to France and quietly wrecked.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    For any froggy in NSW who goes to their respective club meetings in the hall at Five Dock, you will notice there is a pic of the Bianchi car moments after the crash with both of the guys still in the car. There is no way that the car would have been rebuildable.

However, never let an internet forum hose down any chance of a rumour running rife. I'm sure that some of us could claim that a wheel nut or hubcap on their car may have belonged to a friend of a cousin of a great aunt who once may have owned a DS or a 2CV that Bianchi may have overtaken one day somewhere on the outskirts of Paris. Waddya reckon? :
    Well, as a matter of fact I have a piece of one of those DS21s from the Marathon, knocked off in front of me on a large rock. It wasn't Bianchi's car though.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Tadpole

More importantly did anyone string up (correct me if i'm wrong) the 18 year old in the mini, on the closed road, heading the other way, who hit him in the first place???

I've never seen a picture of the car after the crash - that is serious panel damage...

Chris

UFO

According to legend the brown paper bag and its contents were provided to the driver of the offending vehicle before the collision occured. Allegedly some high ranking members of the constabulary were not happy about the way the race was being run with unlimited speed on public roads - even though the roads were supposedly closed to the public for the race sections.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    According to legend the brown paper bag and its contents were provided to the driver of the offending vehicle before the collision occured. Allegedly some high ranking members of the constabulary were not happy about the way the race was being run with unlimited speed on public roads - even though the roads were supposedly closed to the public for the race sections.
    ... back to your previous post re urban myth and the internet

My true recollection of the crash was that two off duty police driving a Mini on a closed section of road collided with the DS, they had no official duty and no right to be on that section of the rally. It was also suggested that they might have had a few This of course now becomes hearsay as once again as far as my memory takes me, the incident was very much veiled and the actual facts were few and far between.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    ... back to your previous post re urban myth and the internet

My true recollection of the crash was that two off duty police driving a Mini on a closed section of road collided with the DS, they had no official duty and no right to be on that section of the rally. It was also suggested that they might have had a few This of course now becomes hearsay as once again as far as my memory takes me, the incident was very much veiled and the actual facts were few and far between.

Cheers
    Chris
    My true recollection was similar but involved the police chasing the mini up the closed road in the opposite direction to the approaching rally. I'm still maintaining my rage!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Fellow Frogger!

I dont know what happened to Bianchi's DS but a friend of mine in England had one of the support DS in his garage in guilford in the 1980's, I'm not sure if he still has it but very likely. The owner of the car is Fred Annels, one of the original citroen gurus, his son Barry is also a citroen expert and very much involved in the citroen car club, maybe someone from the uk club will know more, I will ask the question on their forum
    Cheers
    Helmut

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It would have been repaired. Front end crashes in DS look horendous as the front flattens right back to the suspsenion mounts (where the frame is much stonger). This whole area is crumple zone as is quite easily replaced. A good pit crew could have had that car back on the road in a day given the parts.

-All that would be needed is the bent crumple zones spot welds drilled out (removing it)
    -The new crumple zone/panel carrier spot welded on
    -New guards, bumper, bonnet (possibly radiator, but only if spare was under the bonnet, not in the boot).

Seriously I've drilled the crumpled front end of a DS wreck, and it would be a quite simple task to repair the heaviest of front end hits (as long as the massively strong area where the front suspension mounts isn't bent).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    It would have been repaired. Front end crashes in DS look horendous as the front flattens right back to the suspsenion mounts (where the frame is much stonger). This whole area is crumple zone as is quite easily replaced. A good pit crew could have had that car back on the road in a day given the parts.

-All that would be needed is the bent crumple zones spot welds drilled out (removing it)
    -New guards, bumper, bonnet (possibly radiator, but only if spare was under the bonnet, not in the boot).

Seriously I've drilled the crumpled front end of a DS wreck, and it would be a quite simple task to repair the heaviest of front end hits (as long as the massively strong area where the front suspension mounts isn't bent).

seeya,
    Shane L.

I don't think so, have a look at the windscreen pillars and the roof!
    The car had lightweight aluminium panels this may have been a reason for the amount of damage suffered.
    Graham

OMG

I'd never seen that picture before ... The fact they survived is a true testiment to the sheer incredible strength of the DS hull. Definate absolutey total writeoff... The whole structure is twisted and demolished. I've NEVER seen so a badly damaged DS before Usually they flatten back to the front suspension mounts demolishing the front end of the car (that's what happened with the one we have, and several others I've seen pictures of).... But that one It's a miracle anyone walked away from such an impact. Maybe it picked the little mini up sending it over the roof (that's how it got so damaged

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

VIP Sponsor

OMG

I'd never seen that picture before ... The fact they survived is a true testiment to the sheer incredible strength of the DS hull. Definate absolutey total writeoff... The whole structure is twisted and demolished. I've NEVER seen so a badly damaged DS before Usually they flatten back to the front suspension mounts demolishing the front end of the car (that's what happened with the one we have, and several others I've seen pictures of).... But that one It's a miracle anyone walked away from such an impact. Maybe it picked the little mini up sending it over the roof (that's how it got so damaged

seeya,
    shane L.
    Including the people in the Mini!!
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Including the people in the Mini!!
    Graham
    That's for sure, the massive front crumple zone on the DS probably saved them too ... If it was any other 60's car (what's a crumple zone ) the mini's passengers would have been toast.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I looked at the photo and then read this first post of yours, then I ROFL'ed

I take it you THEN looked at the picture?
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    I looked at the photo and then read this first post of yours, then I ROFL'ed

I take it you THEN looked at the picture?
    Bit of bog here & there and she'll be as good as new ..... The bootlid might even be ok without bog
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Bit of bog here & there and she'll be as good as new ..... The bootlid might even be ok without bog

A roll of tape and a piece of wire thats all you need to fix a DS!!!

(oh man its so hard to type with a broken coller bone sorry lads!)
    Dan
    1970 ID20 SUPER
    1971 DS21 IE non PALLAS,5 Spd
    1973 DS20 SUPER Singapore model but now an Aust resident(Rebuilding)
    Late 1994 Xantia VSX 5speed (for sale)
    1966 R10 round eye (sombody want to buy?)

There are a lot more pix of the accident, and the rally cars, on the DS 50th DVD that Citroen gave to the Car Club last year, including one of the the injured Bianchi? being loaded into a Renault 16. They must have been taken just after the accident - but oddly I don't remember seeing the Mini in them .

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Default the mini

I have a video of the London to Sydney marathon done by Castrol I think with John Laws doing the voice over. It has the actual footage of them lifting lucien Bianchi out of the car and into the Renault 16, as they pan from the D to the reno you can see a very bent Mini heavily hit in the r/h front in the back ground.
    SAD SAD SAD to see

On the brighter side they give a great rap of the d's performance across Australia, with some good footage of the car to boot.

cheers wayne

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information