Quick paint job anyone ???? - Page 11
  • Register
  • Help
Page 11 of 11 First ... 7891011

Shane I hope the perspex sheet is large enough!!

David.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Yeah they do nothing except keep leaves and crap out of your ventilation tower (snow .... Where ??? Haven't seen snow for a llloooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg time ).

They make no difference to interior ventilation (which is a common misconception)... I remember years ago when my father first got the CX wagon (our first CX) he made up a big metal scoop for the bonnet to see if there would be any difference... Even with a big air scoop it made neglible difference It does look good on the turbo with all it's plastic trim though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I agree completely - looks good though!

Nice job you've done.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I always thought the plastic thingy on the bonnet, was more like an air scoop, to help the airflow through ventilation system. At that point on top of the bonnet there is virtually no airflow at all. john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    I always thought the plastic thingy on the bonnet, was more like an air scoop, to help the airflow through ventilation system. At that point on top of the bonnet there is virtually no airflow at all. john s
    Hey Smiffy,

seriously they make bugger all difference ... I'll demonstrate at the Cit-in if you like

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hey Smiffy,

seriously they make bugger all difference ... I'll demonstrate at the Cit-in if you like

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I'm sure they don't, but you can still demonstrate, as I've never been known to turn down a ride in a CX
    I'm finally sorting out those dashboard pockets this week. I'm getting a coinbox for my car, and will get them for yours at the same time. Bugger that they cost £13 for each lid, but if they aint available, anywhere, what can you do?
    Luckily for you, I have most of it in stock already so there are only 2 items I need to buy in. john s

Shane, your car looks wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by gibgib
    Shane, your car looks wonderful
    Almost every panel has at least one bit that you would probably fix. As a daily driver I give is a 20/10 ... As a show car like your doing your 2cv I'd give it a 2/10 and redo a lot of it to try and get as close to perfection as possible. It's just to difficult with a car that gets used everyday and is guaranteed to have doors bashed into within a week

I'm happy with it, it's exactly the sort of finish I was after, far from perfect, yet still looks clean and tidy and looks quite good unless your really looking it over and being picky

Someday she'll be relegated to 2nd car and kept garaged and out of the weather... At that time it'll be treated to the best possible finish I can get (even if I have to hire a booth and have someone shoot it in 2pack for me ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    I'm sure they don't, but you can still demonstrate, as I've never been known to turn down a ride in a CX
    I'm finally sorting out those dashboard pockets this week. I'm getting a coinbox for my car, and will get them for yours at the same time. Bugger that they cost £13 for each lid, but if they aint available, anywhere, what can you do?
    Luckily for you, I have most of it in stock already so there are only 2 items I need to buy in. john s
    Thanks Smiffy,

let me know how you go

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Icon12

Shane that looks sensational

...ya' must be thrilled, fantastic that you have been able to do all the work yourself, welding, panel work, painting and keep the car on the road as your daily driver. All this and keep a bloody good visual and text record of procedures, best thread on AF bar none, great acheivement

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Well Guys,

She's getting close to finished now

The new windscreen surround insert is to be put in, the rubbers on the window edges, the door put back together (inside) clear windows for the spoiler (which Vivid is kindly getting for me ), rubbers under the headlights, fuel filler flap ............. ie: lots of little bits 'n' pieces, but she's finally getting there slowly. It needs a really good clean as there is runoff from the sanding everywhere and lots of external detailing (coming from me who never washes cars ).

seeya,
    Shane L.

I've been following this thread with a bit of intrest shane, the CX is coming up good, and i'm sure once you get the roof sorted out it'll look really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdave
    We do?
    Welding new metal in is the only real way to repair rust, anything else is a bog job. Are cars made of bog? Not many.

Good paint on a properly prepared surface is a pretty good start, also fixing leaks and water traps, goldseal type rustproofing and seamsealer help too.
    But it isn't really worthwhile if you have another boot lid.
    ofcourse car's aren't made of bog, for minor repairs bog is a much sounder, and safer soloution then new metal. Ofcourse if there was holes the size that you could poke your fingers into, etc.. you would have to replacer with metal, as bog, or fiberglass for that matter is simply not strong enough, but for minor repairs on areas that aren't going to get a lot of stress I would much rather use filler then new metal

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    ofcourse car's aren't made of bog, for minor repairs bog is a much sounder, and safer soloution then new metal. Ofcourse if there was holes the size that you could poke your fingers into, etc.. you would have to replacer with metal, as bog, or fiberglass for that matter is simply not strong enough, but for minor repairs on areas that aren't going to get a lot of stress I would much rather use filler then new metal
    Orestes, if you would like to discuss this further you are welcome to PM me. It does not really belong in this thread.

I was just thinking, about the difference in meaning of words...to an aussie, bog is filler, but to an englishman like me, bog means toilet!!! john s

I simply don't believe it;

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...76&postcount=7

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Little f**ker.... That seriously sucks.

I had that happen once to my Rover, but I know who did that ...(long story involving country rednecks )

Must have been a hard kick to bend a CX panel like that - hope he has a serious limp!!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Was just saying to Shane I had my Fuego door 'ROCKED' (very big rock) parked in the middle of Ballarat one night on one of our visits. If only they had just broken a window, nothing to steal in it

very grrr, what a pain! Back to the workshop.

So you banging out the dents, or going to try and source a panel? Or is sourcing another panel not an option?
    Much paint left?

David.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    Was just saying to Shane I had my Fuego door 'ROCKED' (very big rock) parked in the middle of Ballarat one night on one of our visits. If only they had just broken a window, nothing to steal in it

very grrr, what a pain! Back to the workshop.

So you banging out the dents, or going to try and source a panel? Or is sourcing another panel not an option?
    Much paint left?

David.
    It's only a dent ... There is no other Series II front guard in Australia that I know of I'll try but I seriously doubt I'll have the time to fix it in the next few weeks. I still have the fuel filler flap to spray putty and paint... Possibly I could drop the bumper off and get it ready for spray putty/primer at the same time .... Doubt it though.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

I simply don't believe it;
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...76&postcount=7
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    he'll be back, go there a few times & see who's around...
    Find the kid with the right shoe prints, if there's more than one, then kneecap the lot of the little F*****rs

ghad that annoys me!

Maybe mould up some fibreglass ones? there's a little project.

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    he'll be back, go there a few times & see who's around...
    Find the kid with the right shoe prints, if there's more than one, then kneecap the lot of the little F*****rs

ghad that annoys me!

Maybe mould up some fibreglass ones? there's a little project.
    Hi Guys,

the dent is easily repairable (it's not really big). Everycar I've ever painted has been damaged within weeks of it being finished in carparks. I guess if I get a unique looking car and make it really, really shiny I've gotta expect it's going to attract attention I remember years ago when I was a little kid, my grandfather and father painted the DS my father bought (the first Citroen we have ever owned). They spent weeks in the shed getting it right ... Looked really nice. Within weeks of it being finished someone in my fathers carpark at work hit the rear guard on it. They damaged it so extensively the guard had to be removed so the car could be driven home. It was the first and last car my father ever bothered to paint.

This one annoys me even more as it was deliberatly hit with great force to dent it (most likely jumping from a skateboard at speed). If i leave my cars looking like [email protected] they never get touched Yet as soon as there painted someone nudges them in carparks. At least with carpark scrapes there not deliberate damaged, it's just the morons that park next to you can't drive for sh!t... It's not done out of malice though.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

You know when I get mine done, if this happened to me, I'd happily deny this kid the oppertunity to become a man
    john s

Ahh thats not cool Shane - Hope it gets fixed as soon and easily as possible!

Ive seen my mate do his R12 - sand it back, pull the whole car apart, sand it some more etc etc and its a shiteload of effort - certainly does look like one awesome job you have done there!

BTW - Wanna come and give my car a quick respray one weekend - its got some car park battlescars (not caused my me ofcourse )

Joel
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Page 11 of 11 First ... 7891011

Thread Information