My automatic
  • Help

Thread: My automatic

Default My automatic

I just spoke to David at FC about my car. I have a new LHM return line to solve my LHM woes and he checked out the transmission.

FC do use a D2 ATF, so that isn't the cause of my lumpy gear changes. He also said the difficulty changing into top is normal and that it was one of the things that frustrated him about the cars when they were new. At 60k's they couldn't make up their mind what gear they wanted to be in.

Maybe it was changing differently before because the ATF was old? I guess that will remain a mystery. I'm more concered now about finding the $456 to pay for the return line! 4 hours labour apparently - be glad when I know things well enough to do such stuff myself!

Advertisement

Sorry what car was this?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Sorry what car was this?
    Sorry, BX 16TRS.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

We used to have a BX16trs auto. The gearbox will change into top with a thump at exactly 58km/h if your gentle with the throttle, the most likely reason it can't decide on a gear is the motor is wwwwwwwaaaaaayyyyy to gutless to pull 4th at that speed. So you'll have to ram your foot down forcing kickdown .... at which point you back off, so it's thumps back into 4th (full lockup) and so on the cycle goes.

The fix is simple, do NOT use [D]rive unless your doing at least 80km/h. Lock the shit of a gutless thing it 3rd gear for all around town driving. Only select [D]rive -- ie: 4th once your onto the freeways.

Sounds like you need an octopus. If you buy a set of axle stands and spend a few hours under it yourself. I doubt it's a difficult job (Gee's I'm doing Dave out of bussiness saying that ). I've never done an octopus, but I certainly wouldn't be to concerned about attempting it.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Sounds like you need an octopus.

I've never done an octopus, but I certainly wouldn't be to concerned about attempting it.

seeya
    Shane L.
    Hey Shane, what on earth is an octopus?

Roger

PS I wouldn't mind a tame octopus on hand for a lot of tricky Citroen jobs though . . .

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

CX's and BX's have a series of return lines that meet at one point. They branch out into a heap of locations (usually torturous bloody routes to ensure there 'interesting' to replace). It's comonly refered to as the octopus due to the way the pipes run everywhere like tentacles I guess. You can't really replace any one leaking line, so the whole octopus has to be replaced.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

You can't really replace any one leaking line, so the whole octopus has to be replaced.
    Sounds like a nightmare to me.

If its the same octopus (there are two bunches from what I can "Feel" under my car) as in the 16v, it is certainly an "interesting" placement hidden by height corrector, subframe and power steering. Return lines to the res' are fine to get at but where all the bits from the car meet........ That said, it can be done (well I intend to in the next month, so I HOPE it can be ).

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

An octopus is a DIY job on any BX which requires time more than skill. It's the kind of job that has "Sid" the local grease monkey under his hoist in his washed once a week overalls open to the waist exposing a hairy beer gut and splattered with grease, mud and scars from welding mishaps, greasy sneakers (used to wear thongs until WH & S got onto him) hair thinning on top and multiple abrasions to the scalp from barking his nut on exhaust pipes, bringing any who come within hearing distance to look under it to tell them what a **** of a job it is working on French cars and why he only ever does it for regular customers who to quote him 'must have more money than sense' but never admitting that if he used common sense it isn't all that difficult.
    If you take them out one at a time, get the (new) octopus alongside the old, get someone up top to pull various pipes until you find one, tie the new one to the old, cut off the old and drag the new one through and attach where it goes.
    When you get to 8 stop counting. If you have more than 8 you're in big strife because that's why they call them an octopus and just so nobody gets caught as many have before; there's 2 octopus/octopii (?) one bigger than the other so be sure you order the right one and if it looks way different to the one on your car, 'tis possibly the other one!!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    just so nobody gets caught as many have before; there's 2 octopus/octopii (?) one bigger than the other so be sure you order the right one and if it looks way different to the one on your car, 'tis possibly the other one!!

Alan S
    This is true for the CX aswell, as I found out not long after I bought my turbo. Weird thing was we ordered in an octopus, and it was wrong, so they looked on the shelf, and the right one was in stock all the time! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Thread Information