My new CX
  • Help

Thread: My new CX

Default My new CX

Just went and picked her up 1982 CX 2400 Pallas 5 spd. Came complete with heaps of bits and pieces including Haynes BOF Brand new Height Corrector, in original box, 3 or 4 oil filters 20 litres of LHM and still to come what sounds like a sphere tester. The description is a hydraulic jack with a bit welded on to it, a heap of brake tube and two pressure gauges. Car belonged to a long time friend who came to do some drain work for me and noticed the other two CX's and said my father in law has one of them which you could probably have as he is in a nursing home after a stroke. He since died and the process of getting rid of stuff is under way. With the heavy rain storm on Monday I noticed that the storm water drain in front of my garage was blocked. Mate came round again and we picked up the car this arvo. I will post some pictures later.

Advertisement
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thats good stuff Neil,
    I hope it's a good one. How are you going to run so many froggie beasties?
    Cheers...George 1/8th

Yikes! Nobody told me they accumulate over time!

There is a guy that lives 3 hrs from me that has a 2200 4 sp. Pallas that's been sitting around for about 4 years and is now sitting in a paddock. The problem is getting it from A to B and getting the brand new windscreen (still wrapped up) at the same time as it wont fit inside a CX. It also comes with a bootload of spares including 15 spheres! He want's 100 bucks for the lot and at one stage I had thought of towing it on a car carrier with my car...but that's not such a good idea for obvious reasons. I called the RTA and they said I need a blue slip or a pink slip, but perhaps I should have a look first as he said it drove well for the 30 k's to drop it in the paddock the other day.....but 260k's? He reckons it needs a battery and an alternator strap as well as a wheel as the rear tyre is flat.

It sounds like Neil's acquisition may be a little easier!
    Andy

It was easy, took the battery out of the cruiser as I was thinking it was a cmatic and would need some electrickery started up easily enough a bit of cranking time and I was glad it was hooked up to the big N70zz battery. It jumped straight up in the air and according to the LHM gauge when on stilts had plenty of green juice. However the buzzer was screaming all the way home, so I will top her up today and see if we can remedy the stuck indicator. She ran out of rego in May last year when the old fella went in to the home, so I slapped a set of old plates on it and drove it the 5mins home, really should pump up the rear tyre that is a bit flat, and then check it thoroughly, and give it a wash.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Andy N
    Yikes! Nobody told me they accumulate over time!

There is a guy that lives 3 hrs from me that has a 2200 4 sp. Pallas that's been sitting around for about 4 years and is now sitting in a paddock. The problem is getting it from A to B and getting the brand new windscreen (still wrapped up) at the same time as it wont fit inside a CX. It also comes with a bootload of spares including 15 spheres! He want's 100 bucks for the lot and at one stage I had thought of towing it on a car carrier with my car...but that's not such a good idea for obvious reasons. I called the RTA and they said I need a blue slip or a pink slip, but perhaps I should have a look first as he said it drove well for the 30 k's to drop it in the paddock the other day.....but 260k's? He reckons it needs a battery and an alternator strap as well as a wheel as the rear tyre is flat.

It sounds like Neil's acquisition may be a little easier!
    Andy
    For $100 it sounds worth the trouble, even if it turns out to be a parts car.
    Yes, they really do breed, I have 3 CX's, and 2 ZX's (ok, they don't really count) "You can never have too much crap" as my best mate chris says, with 5 BX's and an ambulance and a bus!!! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

congratulations Cruiserman,

you sound like you are collecting all the CX's worth having left in Australia. First that imported 4spd, now a 5spd. Is it a CX2400 GTi 5spd ??? There was only a dozen or so of them imported, they were a carby 2.4litre 5spd. Ferdi in Melboune had one for years (possibly this is it ). His was a very nice, extremelly well looked after car.

The jack is a sphere pressure tester. They are the best sort as they are small and compact. All you need to do is screw the sphere on the top, tighten the screw that usually allows the jack to lift and pump the handle. Within a dozen or so pumps the guage will stabilise at a pressure, this is the pressure left in the sphere. If you have to pump forever and then suddenly the pressure rises infinatly, the sphere has a ruptured membrane (ie: is dead flat). You then just "lower" the jack to release the pressure and unscrew the sphere. Two pressure guages on it though ???? You have lucked out and got yourself a sphere regasser as well as a tester have you. Is there a wierd looking attachment that looks like it could grab the sphere filler cap under pressure. ie: clamps with the use of an 'O'ring to the top of the sphere, while at the same time unscrews the filler plug. Maybe this is what you mean by a big bracket ontop of the jack ?? They have a regasser attached to the top of the jack (lucky bugger ... I've been after one of them since I was about 15years old).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    congratulations Cruiserman,

you sound like you are collecting all the CX's worth having left in Australia. First that imported 4spd, now a 5spd. Is it a CX2400 GTi 5spd ??? There was only a dozen or so of them imported, they were a carby 2.4litre 5spd. Ferdi in Melboune had one for years (possibly this is it ). His was a very nice, extremelly well looked after car.

The jack is a sphere pressure tester. They are the best sort as they are small and compact. All you need to do is screw the sphere on the top, tighten the screw that usually allows the jack to lift and pump the handle. Within a dozen or so pumps the guage will stabilise at a pressure, this is the pressure left in the sphere. If you have to pump forever and then suddenly the pressure rises infinatly, the sphere has a ruptured membrane (ie: is dead flat). You then just "lower" the jack to release the pressure and unscrew the sphere. Two pressure guages on it though ???? You have lucked out and got yourself a sphere regasser as well as a tester have you. Is there a wierd looking attachment that looks like it could grab the sphere filler cap under pressure. ie: clamps with the use of an 'O'ring to the top of the sphere, while at the same time unscrews the filler plug. Maybe this is what you mean by a big bracket ontop of the jack ?? They have a regasser attached to the top of the jack (lucky bugger ... I've been after one of them since I was about 15years old).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Not sure yet, I havent got all the bits but will over the next few days I guess. I dont know if it is a GTi it is a 2400 carbie model. Car was originally from QLD. It has new front spheres, 2004 and rears 2002 aircon works Just had 1800$ spent on it prior to hospitalization (owner not car). The stop brake failure light is on as is the oil light. Engine oil is clean and well up the stick and I put some more LHM (which was bright green in the tank) into the car. Buzzer is still going and lights still on. Oh well time to paint the house and earn points for fiddling time.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

You may find the oil pressure wire is off the switch and touching the back of the engine block (or is leaking ... change immediatly if this is the case).

With the car on low dunk your finger in the filler hole and see if you can feel LHM, if you can't give the indicator a couple of firm taps with your finger, you'll probably find with the car on 'high' it'll suddenly plumet to "No Fluid " so top up as normal (ie: car on high).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Bit low on LHM still, I will pick up the 20l of fluid and top her up. Found in the boot a box of books which included another haynes book of fairy tales, a two folder factory manual, some mag articles which I will scan and upload and 2 autobook 742 ID, D, Ds manuals, an original DS sales pamphlet, and the two folder factory DS manuals. The CX was a replacement for a written off DS.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

sounds like quite a find you lucky bugger!! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Oh dear...

Neil you realise the DS manuals are no good without a car ....... I'm thinking you'll end up with a DS as opposed to those manuals finding another home (gee's you got the 'disease' bad) ... And none of them are even registered to drive are they

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Can we have a photo of the jack posted... i just thought of something. It may actually be a regasser not a tester. If you screw a sphere to the top of it, and "jack the sphere up" until it seals firmly agaisnt the gassing valve you could gas different sized spheres ....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

UFO

Oh dear...

Neil you realise the DS manuals are no good without a car ....... I'm thinking you'll end up with a DS as opposed to those manuals finding another home (gee's you got the 'disease' bad) ... And none of them are even registered to drive are they

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hmmm, Neil needs a D Special to go with those manuals perhaps? Will I need to change my sig file again?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Can we have a photo of the jack posted... i just thought of something. It may actually be a regasser not a tester. If you screw a sphere to the top of it, and "jack the sphere up" until it seals firmly agaisnt the gassing valve you could gas different sized spheres ....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    The "jack" is being delivered tomorrow along with other misc stuff. Ill chuck up a photo of it and the car later in the day.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Cruiserman,
    If you do not see yourself acquiring a DS and hence are prepared to sell the DS books, I would be interested in buying them for a reasonable price. Please PM me if interested.
    Cheers,

Thread Information