1968 2CV 'fourgonette' van
  • Help

Default 1968 2CV 'fourgonette' van

I am seriously considering purchasing a 1968 2CV fourgonette van, and will be inspecting it this weekend. Does anyone have any specific advice on what I should be looking out for (aside from rust, of which there appears to be little or none!). And does anyone have any resource/reference website I can turn to to check out vehicle ID and engine number? Looking forward to your responses.

Advertisement

Without a doubt check out Peter from 2CVAustralia's website @ www.2cvaustralia.com He is a 2CV guru & great bloke as well. He is always happy to help a fellow 2CV'er. Good luck with the purchase!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by LOCAM
    (aside from rust, of which there appears to be little or none!).
    Really check it for rust. They hide it very well as I have found with mine.
    Check for any irregularities in the rails of the chassis, like folds, bulging, concaves.
    Of course you can buy a new galvanised chassis if need be!
    Only simple things have bitten me on the bum so far, so if you know a bit about cars, it's just standard "look over" proceedure on a very simple motor vehicle.

Keep us updated

My Dyane had a totally rotted out footwell, just by where the door is. 2CV cars do exactly the same thing, so if the car has rubber floor mats, be sure to pull them up and look at the floor properly! good luck, john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Default 2CV fourgonette van

I inspected the van yesterday. It is in remarkably good condition, except (you guessed it) for areas of rust. At least the owner was upfront about it. The problem is in the footwells, on both sides. There is also a small amount of bubbling under the right front side of the windscreen, and what appears to be surface rust only in a couple of other areas (bottom of glove box/shelf, one corner of rear box section).

How big a job/problematic is replacing the footwell sections? Does not appear too complicated (I would have to find someone who can do it), but am I missing something?

Will think about it some more ... !

Go to this link for floor panel pricing to help with your decision:
    http://www.mrloos.com/2cvaustralia/c...ea534ff23888be

Also, if you wouldn't be wanting to do the work yourself, get in contact with the store owner of the website above & he may be able to help.

Can someone help me out with vehicle ID and engine numbers, as follows:

and

The fascinating thread on the 2CV chassis replacement (for which many thanks) has me more than slightly nervous (!). Not being an expert on these things ...

AM

oh, and chassis number 207816 ...

Not sure what you want to find out with the numbers (I'm still not 100% sure mine's an '86 model yet, my numbers don't help).

This website gives a rundown of models & when they came out, with what.
    http://www.2cvstuff.com/2CV_models_2CV.html

If the van isn't pricey & is/ or has been registered in Aust. before you can't really go wrong if you are prepared to do some work yourself.

I only see a van for sale in WA for $12,000 & one in QLD for $9000 at the moment. Yours is a 68 so neither of these so I'm guessing it was in a local rag or you know someone....

Thanks. I am trying to establish the authenticity of the vehicle, I guess, but having trouble locating a source for relevant numbers etc.

As to location, the van is in Bangkok, Thailand (I now live in neighbouring Laos), so no it has never been registered in Australia. If I purchase it I would intend to import it when I return to Australia in a couple of years time.

I have a picture but am having trouble attaching it to this message. You can see it on cars for sale at www.2cvaustralia.com (I found, ironically, after being referred to the website by zykra). Asking price is US$5,000.

Seems I have been beaten to the chase by someone in Melbourne who also purchased a Traction 11BL (also from underneath me) from the owner a couple of months ago. So if you see a new Traction and/or 2CV van at the next CCOCA or CCCV event you'll know where they were shipped from ...

Don't dispair!
    When you get back look for one locally & save yourself the headache of getting it imported/ complied/ registered in Australia.

Thread Information