BX headlights
  • Help

Thread: BX headlights

Default BX headlights

Hi All,

Advertisement

after doing 2 trips to Adelaide and back over the holidays I'd like to improve my night vision.

From looking at previous posts some Philips Visionplus globes look to be the go, but if my reflectors have dulled over the years they might not do much good. What sort of money am I looking at for a new set of lights, assuming I can get them?

In Camira-land (previous car) the reflectors are notorious for goig dull and many people get them re-chromed. I've never done this, anyone had experience with such work and can recommend a place in Melbourne?

Thanks,
    Trevor

Buy BX headlights out here and they'll try to hit you up around $275 each, buy in the UK about 20 UK pounds so importing isn't all that bad an option if they start talking stupid prices.

I've found brighter lights due to oversize bulbs can set off another heap of problems both electrically as well as from other drivers so I have used a formula for readjustment that I have used for years and everyone who drives in my cars all say the same thing that the lights are as good as any they've ever seen in any car.
    As this usuually sets off a pile of arguments from a few on here who claim it to be illegal or that it doesn't work even though they've never seen mine in action, can I suggest you first try the search facility as I'm sure you will dig it up.
    If you can't let me know and I'll go looking as I'm pretty busy at present.
    I do most of my driving over distances and on country roads so I have had plenty of time to perfect the system.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Ok, thanks Alan, I'll do some more searching. Quick off the mark, as usual, beginning to think you hang out here 24x7!

Found the post on headlight adjustment - this is how I have it set up already. The car had a minor bingle that knocked the drivers side lamp out of its mounting when I bought it, so fixing it up and pointing them in the right direction was one of the first things I did. The off-to-the-left-and-higher on-the-left idea seems to be something us country night drivers have discovered independently.

My problem is an uneveness of light so the reflectors are probably next on my list of things to check.

Our BX's drive the F3 and / or old pacific hwy almost every day of their lives so night vision is important....

I have upgraded the globes and fitted relays between the plugs and the incoming wiring to protect the elctrical circuits.

I have installed Hella PLUS 50 – Premium Xenon Halogen Globes

They are fully ADR complient and supposedly do not draw any greater current but I fitted relays just in case while I was at it...

Have had no problems in over 40,000klms on BXTri and 20,000klms in BX Tzi...... in fact can't even remeber replacing a globe.
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Quote Originally Posted by tlampre
    Hi All,

after doing 2 trips to Adelaide and back over the holidays I'd like to improve my night vision.

Thanks,
    Trevor
    Eat more carrots???
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Eat more carrots???
    Some HAD to do it eh?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Eat more carrots???
    I would have, but the kids never get car sick...

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by tlampre
    Hi All,

From looking at previous posts some Philips Visionplus globes look to be the go, but if my reflectors have dulled over the years they might not do much good. What sort of money am I looking at for a new set of lights, assuming I can get them?

In Camira-land (previous car) the reflectors are notorious for goig dull and many people get them re-chromed. I've never done this, anyone had experience with such work and can recommend a place in Melbourne?

Thanks,
    Trevor
    If all else fails, try a set of these...

Driving Lights

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    If all else fails, try a set of these...

Driving Lights

Cheers
    Chris
    Greenblood's been taking pics under the influence of red wine again!

(BTW - this ADSL is so cool! I can provide smart a*** answers in a much faster time frame now )
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Greenblood's been taking pics under the influence of red wine again!

(BTW - this ADSL is so cool! I can provide smart a*** answers in a much faster time frame now )
    That's art Craig.... 'course you wouldn't know that, even if it bit you on the ar....

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Trevor,

I seem to remember that the BX headlights say not to fit more that 55/60 watt bulbs into them. I suppose that is because larger wattage ones produyce more heat that might melt the plastic!

So rather than fit 90/130 watt bulbs as I have in previous metal headlight cars, I opted to try 60/90 QI globes and have been running these for the last 2 BXs without any problems.

As the Citroen self levelling suspension gets around the full boot effect lifting the low beam in a conventionally suspended car, I always adjust my lights up much higher than other cars can. And the high beam output has always been fantastic. If the low beam is too high, then the high beam will be in the trees rather than punching straight down the road.

If you decide you need new headlamps, then it would be best to order them from GSF.

Good Luck,

Ken W

There are/were a pair of brand new BX headlights on eBay in the UK -freight costs vary so it's worthwhlle hunting around or buying a stack of other bits (eg through GSF car parts) that you might need as well to make it cost effective.

Having said that - I've just brought a 16V clutch kit off eBay (an EBC remanufactured one) and it worked out at about half the price including freight I was quoted here for the clutch kit alone.

Have you fitted relays? I fitted relays as it was a bit like driving by candle light when I first giot the BX. I've now fitted 55/100s which made a significant improvement to high beam. I bought the globes in the early '90s so they have lasted quite well ;-)

Cheers,

Chris

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah
    There are/were a pair of brand new BX headlights on eBay in the UK -freight costs vary so it's worthwhlle hunting around or buying a stack of other bits (eg through GSF car parts) that you might need as well to make it cost effective.
    Yes, I've seen the ads. Got quoted 55 quid to ship them. A bit dear at the current exchnge rates.

Have you fitted relays? I fitted relays as it was a bit like driving by candle light when I first giot the BX. I've now fitted 55/100s which made a significant improvement to high beam. I bought the globes in the early '90s so they have lasted quite well ;-)

Cheers,

Chris
    I pulled the globes out yesterday for a closer look. The LHS was a normal 55/60 and the other a 55/100. It was looking a bit fried - still working - but getting too hot perhaps. I've replaced both with a pair of Narva 50-plus 55/60's. These appear to be similar to the Phillips Visonplus globes, 50% more light for the same power rating. Went for a spin to Ballarat and back last night and the visibility was excellent, even on low beam. A very even pool of light. I reckon the over-rated bulb was on the way out giving me a blotchy spread of light.

So, I'm happy now.Thanks for all the advice.

Regards,
    Trevor

Thread Information