4 speed Traction
  • Register
  • Help

4 speed Traction

I am currently installing a ID19 gearbox and engine into my Traction. Mel Carey has a good conversion available anyone know of any others? I am refering to the method of chopping off the inboard discs and installing traction compatible output shafts. also I just wanted to start a new thread as I'm quite happy with my Belingo with the back still on!

Advertisement
    Mark McKibbin

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Fantastic,

someone wants to talk about something interesting for once

Basicly Mels 4spd conversion is extremely good. It uses only the original gearshift (there's no 2nd lever), and nothing looks butchered. How ever, being Mel Carey, everything he does seems to be exteremely good, but quite expensive. What do you expect though, if they put great time & effort into perfecting something it aint going to come cheap

If you aren't a member of the Traction lists at yahoogroups I strongly recommend you join it. I'm a member of the CX, BX, Dseries-L, DS/ID, GS, Traction, Xantia, lists, the traffic is 100+mail a day subscribed to all these groups. But hey it's all fantastic stuff, anything boring just get the 'del' key used. (it's a well worn key that one). I'm also a member of the XM, C5, and a couple of other groups. I was a member of the 2cv group for about 2days, but the shear volume of traffic forced me to un-subscribe.

Once you have joined the traction list (goto <a href="http://www.yahoogroups.com" target="_blank">www.yahoogroups.com</a> and search for TA-L). Have a look through the groups mail archives, I'm sure you'll find a enormous amount on 4spd conversions. Also send a mail to the group asking for suggestions, especialy on the driveshaft issue!

I think my father has a couple of special tools for the traction front end. He'll be needing them shortly though, so I doubt he'll be in a hurry to lend them out right now. Maybe in 6months time though (yeah he takes a while to get around to doing stuff ). Through Mel Carey you can hire the tools required, he's the car club rep. for them.

good luck!
    Shane L.

<small>[ 26 April 2002, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: DoubleChevron ]</small>
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO
    What Shane may not have realised, is that you do not need to receive all those emails. You can select from a couple of options. One is a Daily Digest that is all the posting condensed into one email (much quicker) or No Email.

My 2 cents approve
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!
    If youre going for a d engine and 4 speed gearbox, why not got the whole hog and put in modern driveshafts as well. There are known conversions using Morris 1800 universals, and range rover ones. An engineer in england is/was producing splined ends to go into a splined brakedrum to prevent keyways shearing. If youre going for a demon engine, this may be worth considering. Arthur Greaves in melbourne is worth talking to if you want an alternative viewpoint than mel's.

petermelb:
    If youre going for a d engine and 4 speed gearbox, why not got the whole hog and put in modern driveshafts as well. There are known conversions using Morris 1800 universals, and range rover ones. An engineer in england is/was producing splined ends to go into a splined brakedrum to prevent keyways shearing. If youre going for a demon engine, this may be worth considering. Arthur Greaves in melbourne is worth talking to if you want an alternative viewpoint than mel's.
    Thanks Peter I will give Arthur a ring, I have given the driveshafts to Mel who will have them a "Cut & Shut" with new CVs still with old tapers and keyways, I just thought 1800 CVs were not that good to start with I think Mel uses something newer. Greg McKenzie in NZ uses Nissan Maxima shafts that have the same bearing OD as Tractions so you end up with a Nissan hub that are adapted to the drums with a drilled plate. Even better you could leave the ventilated Discs on! And Shane I have used the CCOCA tools I just wanted some of my own.
    Mark McKibbin

Thread Information