CitroŽn GS Birotor Wankel - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: CitroŽn GS Birotor Wankel

DS

Said car as seen by me in 1988 here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdrive34/2641872526/ and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdrive34/3074248236/

and then recently in Tasmania here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdrive34/4498886414/ and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdrive34/4517408234/

The car was in no way rotting away. I've never seen a pic of it in a back yard and how could a pic of a car in grass ever lead anyone to think the car was rotting away?

I drove that car once and it was a hoot. 7000rpm and away you went!

WHat is the car Leigh Miles has in Melbourne? I think its a LHD in brown or gold paint? http://www.flickr.com/photos/2204342...in/photostream

Advertisement
    Last edited by DS; 3rd May 2011 at 10:51 PM.

Citroen Birotor (Wankel engine) for sale For Sale (1975) on Car And Classic UK [C596810]

Time to re-activate this thread? An Ambitious asking price. A quote out of "The Castle" comes to mind....
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I wonder where that amazing Australian birotor is these days. Last we heard on here was it wasn't running due to engine issues. ( something weird not to do with the apex seals from memory). Hopefully it's back on the road buzzing around somewhere
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Chris,

I'm not sure whats 'Picky Picky' about my reply on the RHD Birotor. I cringe at the miss-information that is often posted at Aussie Frog's Citroen Forum.....it appears that the motto is 'Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

I would have thought that 'Thanks for filling us in with the correct info" might have been more appropriate, after all, I built the RHD Birotor, so I should know!

Greg Fienberg
    PUTTY
    I'm with you Greg!
    Cheers Gerry

Re-reading this entire thread .... We need to get a Wiki or similar setup with Gregs amazing knowledge stored somewhere, it's being lost in the forum over threads such as this!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    JohnW likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

This is as it was, when first put back on the road.

I'll find some more.

Citroën GS Birotor Wankel-gs-birotor.jpg
    Armidillo, Jinandfonic and jwyers like this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlaloum View Post
    Yep....

And of course the biggest flaw in the CX, is the agricultural engine with it's rough idle - such a smooth car, to be saddled with a 1930's engine....

David
    Whilst we all agree that the rotary would have been highly desirable. I feel that you do the inline four CX engine quite an injustice. It is hardly a 1930s engine. That description refers to the engine of the Traction Avant, carried over into the DS 19/ ID19. At the worst the CX engine can be described as a 1960s engine being almost identical to the D series engines of that period.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

And now...
    Stationary due to water leak into rotor. New motor still in the box...just need to find some time - too many projects!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroën GS Birotor Wankel-20170312_172916.jpg  

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '71? Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Nice! Is it the ... er ... Now I"m lost. Is it a split engine block ... Maybe you can get the area welded up so there is still one more rotary engine in existence ... especially if the rest of the motor is fine!

You have every desirbable model there made by Citroen by the looks of it ( if you remove the XM and add in an SM and Big 6 ).
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian Bear View Post
    Hi
    Yes I see one here later I was searching. Only one in the world? If he is going to sell this one, he will be almoust rich!!! I can tell that my mother owned a CitroŽn Birotor once with a semi-automatic gearbox. It was very few of them and they where wery, wery expensive. More than twise of an ordinarly GS. It was imported though. I heard that CitroŽn bought many of them back and scraped them. For now we having one in Sweden. If it a GZ or an GS I dont know. Myself had a BX 19 TRZ. A very, very good car.
    CitroŽn GS Birotor 1
    The ones Citroen bought back, was the M35, me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    The ones Citroen bought back, was the M35, me thinks.
    If you read this thread from the start, Greg gives a really good overview of how this car "exists"

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Chris,

.......I cringe at the miss-information that is often posted at Aussie Frog's Citroen Forum.............
    PUTTY
    Mercy, Fake News on AF! Has someone told Tronald Dump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick56 View Post
    Mercy, Fake News on AF! Has someone told Tronald Dump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you have a look that message was posted 12 years ago ( Wow, how long have I been on here )
    JohnW likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Nice! Is it the ... er ... Now I"m lost. Is it a split engine block ... Maybe you can get the area welded up so there is still one more rotary engine in existence ... especially if the rest of the motor is fine!
    That's the plan This is the dead motor which came in the boot. It looks like it suffered a similar fate.

Citroën GS Birotor Wankel-pic1.jpgCitroën GS Birotor Wankel-pic-2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    You have every desirbable model there made by Citroen by the looks of it ( if you remove the XM and add in an SM and Big 6 ).
    Poor un-loved XM Probably the most reliable citroen I've had. Many man years as the daily commuter, but now the paint has gone off and a power steering pipe has rubbed through the hydractive pipe from the strut to the middle sphere. Any one want to save it?

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '71? Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

That could be from sitting ... I reckon a machine shop could clean that up and supply a slightly bigger gasket/seal for it without any problems So the orange area is where it's leaked coolant into the combustion area ( er, chamber ... um... whatever you called "bit" the rotor spins in ). Wow I suck at rotaries But to my eyes that looks like an easy fix ?
    Dave Rogers likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Hi Guys

It's a bit sad to see that something like the lack of good coolant (and changing it) has stopped such a great car?

It was rebuilt with a brand new engine, and was sold with another new one in a crate. The old engine was there as well.

Citroen made a huge error in building this car as a GS, as there was so little of the GS left in the car, except the silhouette. It was really a smaller CX. The Birotor still didn't resolve any of the GS,s major shortcoming which was a total lack of ventilation

What they did to change the body, and reinforce it for the extra power, made the car extremely heavy. I remember thinking at the time that our '75 G special was somehow a nicer car. It didn't have the power of the Birotor, but in some ways the engine was much sweeter.

Unfortunately, with such a heavy body, the car was slow to accelerate, and there was little action under 3,000 revs.

It was also cranky re stalling and restarting, and the fuel consumption around town meant it veered left at ever petrol station it went past.

And as with both the CX & GS semiautomatics, for me, they were nether one thing or the other, trying to be both, but falling short.

Citroen's rotary engine program was a sad time for Citroen, and I'm sure the Birotor must have been the most expensive care in history to hit production and sell so few.

It also obviously impacted greatly on the development of the CX, and the reason it was released so under developed. But its also a credit to Citroen that they were able to adapt the DS short stroke engine to fill the gap.

To think that the CX25GTI turbo was really an engine that had it roots in the Traction of 1934, show what a talent Citroen has been.

Memories!!!!!!

Best regards,

Greg.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Hi Guys

To think that the CX25GTI turbo was really an engine that had it roots in the Traction of 1934, show what a talent Citroen has been.

Memories!!!!!!

Best regards,

Greg.
    There is nearly always a lineage of development in engines for most manufacturers. However apart from the fact that the engine is a cast iron block, wet liner four cylinder with detachable balance weights on the crank there is otherwise very little in common between a 1911 cc TA motor and a CX motor.
    Cheers Gerry

[QUOTE=andrewj;1508402]That's the plan This is the dead motor which came in the boot. It looks like it suffered a similar fate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	94524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	94525QUOTE]

You know, when you look at a Wankel casing and the shape and the holes and the need to be strong and.... What an incredible job to bring the concept into fruition. We have CAD everything now, but not then......
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

So, what does a CX really need, apart from ventilation and insulation? Torque and power. Heavy car. To get it to work with a Wankel, it would need to be a bloody big one. Let us not discuss fuel consumption......

It's easy to criticise with hindsight though. NSU didn't quite make it work profitably either.

Anyway, to topic, let's hope that slightly corroded engine can have some key components retrieved. Hen's teeth territory.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

So what, if anything, will we see you in at Cit-In, Andrew? It seems like the Birotor is a job too large to be finished in time.

Glad to see you now have a garage for some of the fleet at least.

Pics of both the Australian Birotors are on the site in my signature line (I will update the website with Greg's name, and details on a couple of other GSs, when i get the time.)
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Hi Jerry,

I think you misunderstand my meaning of having its roots in the 1934 Traction engine. You would not be identical to you Grandfather, but there would be a direct lineage to him?

The original Traction engine of 1934 was pretty advanced for a mass produced engine of that time. Wet sleeve cylinders & overhead valves.

The DS of 1955 was to be fitted with a flat six engine. When cooling problems couldn't be solved in time for the Ds's release, it was the Traction engine that was used as a substitute. It was substantially modernised with an alloy, cross flow head and modern slipper main bearings. It also had more modern engine mounts.

In 1965 the engine was completely revamped with a shorter stroke and a five bearing crankshaft added. And while there was a new block, it still kept wet sleeve cylinders, the location of the camshaft remained the same is did the operation of the valve gear, fuel pump, hyd pump & oil pump drive. The housing for the rear distributor drive also remained, as did the location of the starter motor. The drive for the camshaft was still with a chain, in a similar location. In short, it operated on exactly the same principals as the long stroke engine.

When the Rotary engine destined for the CX went pear shaped, it was the DS engine that was used to fill the engine bay, but this time located east west, and turning in the opposite direction.

The engine was subject to some major changes, the sump was redesigned, and an external oil filter added. but basically the design and layout followed the changes that were made in 1965 for the DS. Even the rear distributor drive was still incorporated into the block but with a welsh plug to fill the hole.

It was further modernised with the addition of diesel versions and capacity increased to 2.5l, and a turbo added, but it still followed the same operating principals as the DS engine before it, and the Traction engine before that.

I've found that manufacturers rarely make radical changes, it too expensive. The tend to modify what they already have. Modernisation of a given part is generally progressive.

While there are no parts from a CX engine that fit the Traction engine, the CX engine shows a direct path of evolution, going directly back to '34.

If you don't agree, well that's fine.

Best regards,

Greg
    Last edited by Greg; 15th March 2017 at 02:51 PM.
    We Have:
    We Had:

So in effect Greg, you are saying exactly what I said, in that 'there is a lineage of development'. BTW I know all of that about the reasons for reinstatement of existing power plant designs when experimental technology failed to prove its worth! The D with a flat six would have been amazing. The traction with the V8 would have been amazing. And the CX with a fully developed tri rotor rotary engine would have been amazing. But would they have been successful commercially?
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Have never owned a Citroen but on our way to the Cit-in in Gayndah [ forgotten the date ] we were lucky enough to be stopped at Ban Ban Springs when we heard a quite incredible sound. What was it ? A blue GS howling at well over 100kph. A memorable sound almost unmatched to this day. Thank you. Thank you.

It really is frustrating that Citroen went "so far" in certain developmental directions, and made no progress in others.

I'd say that most Citroens were underpowered (in terms of low speed work, cruising was always brilliant), the BX16v was the first Citroen that I drove that really showed what they could do engine/performance wise. And why I bought the Activa.

Greg is on the money ... why did they fail so badly at basics, like fresh air, (let alone air con!), when they could do wonderful things with suspension, brakes, steering ...most (older) Citroen engines are "tradesmen like," they do the job with little sparkle or finesse.

For me, the 21 and the 23 motors, (esp. with 5 speed boxes) brought the D into line as a decent package to drive.

The GS was always lacking in low end speed/torque and should have been an exemplary small car, (and again, some fresh air would have helped). It didn't need a Birotor, but it did need, say, 1300cc - 1600cc with some grunt to make it a better city car. Still a wonderful model, and like too many Citroens, never was sufficiently developed.

The CX was another car that came close towards the end of the run, to being "sorted."

I dunno whether the buying public would have embraced them more favourably had they been more competitive in those areas.
    Greg likes this.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    A blue GS howling at well over 100kph. A memorable sound almost unmatched to this day. Thank you. Thank you.
    A flat chat GS is quite phenomenal.
    Can you fathom a 1200cc VW at 100MPH (not kPH)?

Our GS1015 3 speed convertisseur traversed the Hay Plains at about 100MPH.
    You flatten the pedal to the floor, redline the tacho, and max out the speedo, and sit there for as long as you can.
    Yeah, baby.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread Information