Very harsh C6 review... (but reality...)
  • Register
  • Help

Default Very harsh C6 review... (but reality...)

http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-te...dex-intro.html

Advertisement

407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Idiot test driver
    However, this conclusion is probably a matter of personal taste and a by-product of so much time spent in stiffly-sprung German cars with huge alloy wheels and rubber-band tyres.
    Quite. I seriously doubt that the descendant of the DS, CX and Xantia Activa is going to handle as badly as he thinks -- just 'cos he can't feel every bump through his backside...

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Quite. I seriously doubt that the descendant of the DS, CX and Xantia Activa is going to handle as badly as he thinks -- just 'cos he can't feel every bump through his backside...

Chris
    Hmm. Funny because he sort of put in that disclaimer then proceeded to rip it to bits. Complained it was floaty at speed. Sounds to me he didn't try very hard to get to know it...
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Icon10

That is still one hot car!!
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Still doesn't justify the price.... $60-70k yes... 80-100k no...

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga

agreed, pricey but a nice way to spend money if you didn't need it!
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

I would be cruising down George street here in Sydney in C6 all day and all night. That would be the sight to see

The xm was a $100k 15 years ago, i think its cheap. I geuss you could buy a $60k Statesman that will rust in about 8 years, from my experience anyway.

Back to the road test , he gives the comfort & equipment 6 stars and still bags it.

Wait until it is $10k, and then buy one. That's what I did with my XM: having told myself when they first came out that I would buy one of them one day, I finally did the deed this year. It should be just nicely run in for the next owner by the time C6's are $10k.

Roger

What a pile of 8o11o(£$...

"Closely-related 607?" Apart from the different platform, dissimilar suspension (607 still has struts, doesn't it?) and the 2.7HDi motor... yep, it's almost exactly the same car.

FFS...
    ...and this, from one who runs a 12 year old XM as his 'sensible' car...

Fellow Frogger!

My main interest in the C6 is the fact that they've gone back to mutilink (double wishbone ?) suspension at the front, something that we havn't seen since the CX, and which has been sorely missed IMHO, and is something of a light at the end of the tunnel for me when I thought were were bound to be condemed to McPherson strut Hydropneumatic suspension for ever after...

My question is, will this design approach remain only in the large top end exclusive models such as the C6 or have they finally realised that McPherson struts were a big mistake, and will they therefore trickle down double wishbone designs back into the cheaper models that most of us can afford.....

After all, hydropneumatic suspension itself "trickled down" in simplified form from the DS to the GS.

First person to get some solid technical info and/or pictures on the design of the suspension, especially the front suspension gets extra brownie points

As for the shape.... well..... the basic shape I like as it is reminicent of the CX, but the detailing ? Urgh.... I don't think I would want to be seen driving one

Regards,
    Simon
    Last edited by Mandrake; 26th November 2005 at 06:39 AM.

Default Tester Bias

Hi folks,

yeah the channel4 reviewer obviously didn't spend very long in the car...

As has been observed by most of us, the fact that our butts don't get hammered by each ripple in the road doesn't mean that the cars don't handle well - and we have all noted our ability to leave most "falcodores", and "Toyobishis" behind on long distance curvy roads. (The more curvy and bumpy, the further we leave them behind... )

Seems to me that most car reviewers equate dynamics/handling with behaving like a go-cart/track racing car - minimal wheel travel, glued to the ground, you can feel every detail of the tarmac.... Great Fun! - for an hour or 2 on a racetrack - but who the hell wants that on a long trip or in daily driving.

Citroen's have always been the Queens of the Grand Tourers, and the descriptions of the handling, dynamics and suspension behaviour - mostly described in uncomplementary terms - makes me think Yum! a real Citroen....

Bye for now

Quote Originally Posted by robo
    The xm was a $100k 15 years ago, i think its cheap. I geuss you could buy a $60k Statesman that will rust in about 8 years, from my experience anyway.

Back to the road test , he gives the comfort & equipment 6 stars and still bags it.
    That's because the journo is English. Have you ever heard an Englishman rave about a French car.......it doesnt happen
    I think the price will be approx $90K, look what you get in a BMW or Merc for that much. Not much.

Not sure about that... what about the Merc E280? V6 170kw... 90k.

You even get a heated steering wheel

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by dlaloum
    Hi folks,

yeah the channel4 reviewer obviously didn't spend very long in the car...

As has been observed by most of us, the fact that our butts don't get hammered by each ripple in the road doesn't mean that the cars don't handle well - and we have all noted our ability to leave most "falcodores", and "Toyobishis" behind on long distance curvy roads. (The more curvy and bumpy, the further we leave them behind... )

Seems to me that most car reviewers equate dynamics/handling with behaving like a go-cart/track racing car - minimal wheel travel, glued to the ground, you can feel every detail of the tarmac.... Great Fun! - for an hour or 2 on a racetrack - but who the hell wants that on a long trip or in daily driving.

Citroen's have always been the Queens of the Grand Tourers, and the descriptions of the handling, dynamics and suspension behaviour - mostly described in uncomplementary terms - makes me think Yum! a real Citroen....

Bye for now
    My thoughts exactly. Seems he got what he expected, and what he was expecting wasn't what he wanted. Ride comfort seems to be given less and less kudos, and its a shame that softness is no longer a desirable characteristic. Thing with oleopneumatics is that you still get stability and a remarkable degree of body control even with a plush ride. They might roll, but they generally don't pitch or wallow or lurch off line. Perhaps it just takes a bit longer to get into the groove with them.
    John

This is the sort of reviewer that would bemoan the lack of Citroen uniqueness in say a Xsara,complain about the badge engineering & lack of character in modern Citroens. He then tests the C6 & complains about how Citroens aren't like German cars, are too oddball with hydraulic suspension to apeal to the masses & dismisses their latest offering. Its one or the other feller! Personally, give me plush ride and handling that comes with oleopnuematics
    Xantia SX 1997
    Toyota Spacia 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Davide Perinet
    That's because the journo is English. Have you ever heard an Englishman rave about a French car.......it doesnt happen
    Ergh.....so many bullshit assumptions flying around.

It seems the reviewer actually owns a Xantia.

Farah AlKhalisi, Deputy Editor
    A founder member of the 4Car team, Farah started out in the motoring media at Emap magazines, researching and writing for consumer titles such as Parker's Car Chooser. She has a strange fetish for estate cars, station wagons and vans and has owned a variety of revolting old bangers and hopeless cases. She has recently traded in a much-loved Saab 900 Turbo for a load-lugging Citroen Xantia, but is hanging out for a W124-series Mercedes-Benz TE. Or a VW Transporter.
    Why is it so hard to interpret this review? I think she makes a clear and concise point with the C6. In a day and age where quite a number of manufacturers are able to combine a good ride with outstanding handling dynamics it seems Citroen has a different focus with the C6: an outstanding ride with mediocre handling and dynamics. Thats not necessarily a bad thing really, I'm sure there is a market for those that *just* want a superbly comfortable car.

I think this car will sell, but not well. The same sort of people that could justify $90K on an XM will buy this car. It's the sort of gent that will buy a large Citroen regardless. He probably wouldn't even look at a Lexus/BMW/Mercedes so it doesn't matter one iota that they are better cars - they don't even enter the equation.

Hey I was reading this magazine 'Test Drive' from the UK. Can't find a link to the story, but they gave the C6 5 stars out of 5. Raved about the space, comfort and sublime ride and praised the handling - sharp, high limits, great stability esp at high speed and gentle transition to understeer at the limit.

As usual, opinions are polarised.
    John

Default New C6....

I want one, I want one...

The only problem is that it would upstage my CX.

Damn. Maybe that idea of waiting till they get down to $10,000 is a good idea.
    If I keep fit I might live long enough.
    Cheers....George 1/8th.

Thread Information