Gti.t2 Now Officially Adopted
  • Register
  • Help

Icon14 Gti.t2 Now Officially Adopted

The CX had its medical yesterday and passed with flying colours although with all the excitment she was a little lubed up on the chassis with a slight weep from the new oil filter , but I think she was just enjoying the occasion .Now officially West Australian .
    I hope she doesn't get too jealous as I start to seriously dis-robe the DS to find all her nasty little secrets.
    Lots of thanks to everyone so far inc all on the forum and Mr Geoffry and his expertise, now to blow out those cob webbs

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Fantastic news !!!

You certainly deserve a good reliable run out of that car after all the work you have put into it !!

Did your rear arm bearings come out easily or were they welded in place due to being lubricated with salty water like mine

There a lot of fun to drive, just don't lose your license I love overtaking cars in mine, I had to overtake 3wank tanks stuck behind a medium rigid truck yesterday .... I wasn't half moving when I merged back infront of the truck

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default Easy peasy

All work has been quite simple gave the bearings to Chevron Down Under to do and got the grease nipples put in for durability hopefully she will be doing a bit of gravel work
    I think the biggest problems with the car has been lack of use, less than 10,000mile in the last 14 years from the paper work 4 things left to do
    1. ABS no light no work??( detective work I think)
    2. Rear A/C got the unit just have to fit and plumb it
    3. Alternator dodgy diodes when hot and so much power drain
    4. good tyres and wheels
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Do you have a decent wiring diagram for the ABS? Chances are that the ABS wasn't working, and the bulb has been removed to disguise it.
    Mine didn't work, and it turned out to be dodgy wiring to the relays. john s
    Look at the bulb first though! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

If you send the CX over my way I'll fix the lack of use bit for you Mine certainly doesn't complain about lack of use

Infact it's just about to roll over 140,000miles, still doesn't use a drip of oil or coolant between changes and I've never need to top the oil up. This car was a demonstrator when new (so most likely has had the living sh!t thrashed out of it in it's early life ).

Infact the modern Xantia needs topping up between changes and actually uses oil unlike the old tractor technology motor in the CX I probably add 1litre of oil to the Xantia between 10,000km changes.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Default They are top motors

Yet to test the Cx on oil consumption but the BX16v having done nearly 220,000k when oil is changed it looks almost brand new and level stays constant but I am kind I change oil and filter every 5000k 16v motors are not cheap and for $30 of oil and a filter its good insurance. Only problem with the BX getting a bit notchy on the 1-2 and 2-1 gear change but when the box dies I've been told the xantia box is better and stronger . Contrast the oil to my old utes 2500mile and its like black treacle only good for fence posts
    Re the ABS the wires all look a bit dodgy ie where they flex on the arms etc just like the pad wear wires all the sleaves gone and wire inside fractured at least their not coax well lots to do

Would you believe I cut through one of the rear ABS wires on my CX when I put new tires under it's bum ... The tyres must have been marginally wider and rubbed against them

Anyway, if you remove the spare tyre, unbolt the guard under it you will find a very corroded looking ABS unit with very dodgy wiring connectors. I strongly suggest you tidy this up before replacing ABS wiring

The alternator isn't bad to get off, just make sure the captive nut on the main retaining bolt is captive. There a bugger to remove if the nut is spinning. If you run into problems I may have a diode/regulator plate here that will fit your alternator. I have no good alternators though, I think I'll opt for 'replacment' if anything happens to mine.

My CX isn't air-con'd. It will be interesting to see how yours works out. IMO it's pointless fitting air-con to my car when the demister fan in the dash barely moves any air. The speed setting I'd prefer to call a 'loudness' setting. Does yours move much air ?? Mines bloody hopeless, most of the air comes out in the footwell with the demister off, or the winscreen with the demister on. Very little comes out of the main vents.

One evaportor in the dash would probably be plenty if we could just get some airflow through it !!! I'm bugger if I know how that's possible (short of hacking a hole in the firewall and running a tube up from the nose "DS" style ).

good luck !!
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Default A/c

The A/C on mine is climate control and works perfect in the workshop but as soon as the car is outside with heat pumping thru the windscreen the heat of the dash almost cancels out whats wafting out of the vents, seems to work much better with the windows down and on fresh but as you say lots of noise for not much air .Hopefully with the rear unit installed and judicious parking under trees it might work . Iv'e got lots of foil backed foam insulation that I'm going to line the front of the boot with and maybe inside the doors and will be removing all the exhaust sheilds and painting them with reflective paint or replating them .It will be interesting .I think the black black interior just adds to the hot hot atmosphere . If all else fails I might just have to try the old bags of ice in the boot trick at a $1 a bag quite cheap really and it will keep those frogs legs nice and chilled

UFO

Greg Churm of CCC NSW has a CX 2500 Prestige with dual air and he now complains that it gets too cold. I think Mark P in his 2500GTi has a similar problem.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

It could be worth your while chatting to Chris Stewart ... He's done a lot of work in regards to the heat problem ... And I think he's local to you

http://home.iprimus.com.au/hobbier/chris/index.html

IMO the series II car are nowhere near as hot inside as the series I, yet there ventilation is even worse (is that possible ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Icon12 1 down 3 to go

alternator fixed dodgy connections on diode plate resolder and good as new maybe
    now for the a/c got the rear unit in just have to sort out the plumbing and wiring that will be interesting with the climate control electrics
    Printed of the workshop manual that Shane so generously sent me the CD of Geeze its big almost 700 pages
    now to find a file big enough to put it in .
    Anyone got any s2 mudflaps front and rear for a CX

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL
    Anyone got any s2 mudflaps front and rear for a CX
    You don't much choice there, but to look at ebay either france, or england, and look for either CX, or citroen VISA, or C15van, as they are the same mudflaps. They do pop up from time to time, and are the same front and back, but you will need a fixing kit for the back. (the kit is the hard part, as it's very rare) I've just bought new 2 pairs, and the kit for mine, and sorry, I'm not letting them go!!! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Default Thanks Smiffy

If you come across anymore please let me know
    Question re door cappings ,on mine the aluminum section is different on some of the doors Drivers door brushed aluminum on the others coated with dull silver paint that scratches of with your finger nail ? Whats it supposed to be

What do you mean by "door capping"... If you mean the window surrounds it should have the GTi 'blackout' treatment....

Hmm... lets find piccies ....

--If you look down the side of the car, the upper door trim are chrome painted mat black (ie: chrome with peeling black paint).
    --The window surround is matt black and not painted (so it doesn't lift)
    --The strips in the door middles are black rubber
    --The gutter trim is black (good 'cos it doesn't go yuk like the chrome look trim)
    --The rear window surround is metal with a mat black tape on it (the tape is curled up on mine).
    --Door handles are black ... plastic.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Default Door Cappings

I'm talking about the internal cappings with the aluminum inserts with the little engraved chevron in it .Each one seems to have a different finish as previous The outside stuff is all as you say but mine has'nt been sun eaten yet
    that tow bar is tourturing me still cann't get one anywhere except maybe UK
    Last edited by ARCHRIVAL; 30th November 2005 at 04:23 PM.

OK I get it now. I just couldnt' think of chrome anywhere on the doors. they are perfect on my car and I assumed they were stainless that always looks like that (a bit like CX/DS bumpers and trim bits).

If some fool painted them, possibly all you need to do is remove the paint

It would only be a few hours work to fix the outside black trim on these cars when painting them ... And yours has only just been painted !! (lucky bugger ).

seeya,
    Shane L.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information