BX questions
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: BX questions

Icon14 BX questions

I am looking at buying a BX and was just curious about the visiblity. As there are few BX's in Tassie, I can't go and test drive one so I have to get a feel through your eyes. Is the BX known for a blind spot with the rear pillars? Do they feel similar to the 405 for driving position and ergonomics? The car is for my wife and she has driven her mum's 405 and likes it so if the BX is similar with no huge blindspots, it should be fine for her. Ta!

Advertisement
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

I have never had any problems with visibility on my Bx's, even on my GT which has 'blacked' out rear side panels.

Dave

Regardless of some of the silly rot that has been said about the BX at times, they have very few flaws as regards their driving.
    Possibly the best overall vision of any car I've ever driven; it's almost impossible to see the bonnet, almost akin to riding a pushbike. Rear pillars as Dave says are virtually non existent when you're in the driving seat.
    Actual driving is great as they feel light but very firmly fixed to the road. As a comparison to a 405; we have an Mi16 and a mate of mine has a 405 that I work on occasionally and I would compare a 405 with the Xantia in feel. The BX is a much more 'lighter' feeling car that you'll find you'll get away with more in than the 405 in emergency situations due to the hydraulic suspension.
    Don't ask me why, but some of them seem to have an awkward driving position that can affect women more than men. Shane's wife had a problem with it in the Tri they had and mine couldn't cop it in the Trs yet she has never complained in the 16V or the TZi. When I sold the Trs (a few years ago now) I sold it to a woman and again this issue arose so I had to find a solution so as to make the sale. I suggested raising the rear of the runner on the drivers seat as a possible solution based on my wifes description of the problem. Last I heard, the buyer had done a further 60K klms over a couple of years so it obviously worked OK and depending on the model, may need doing to the car you buy.
    Shane will consistently rubbish Tri seats, yet I have a BX Tri wagon that my wife reckons has the best seats of any car we've ever owned and we have owned CXs as well as a variety of BXs and a Xantia, so it obviously varies from car to car and person to person and can be sorted if need be.
    Overall, my son who owns the Mi16 prefers the driving position and driveability of the BX over the Pug.
    As a practical design, you'll be pleasantly surprised at just what a brilliant design they really are once you get one and use it as it was designed to be used.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yeah the seats must vary from car to car. We had a BX16trs and I don't remember having any problems with it's seats. The BX19GT's and BX16valves have bloody fanstastic seats as have the TZi's from memory ... The 19TRi I have the seats 'looks' good, but have zero lower back support. For the driver the fact the accelerator sits very high greatly increases the discomfort. In ours I ended up fitting a Renault Fuego seat (Ang reckoned it was great with that seat in there).

I may be just spoilt as I've driven/riden in a series of DS/GS/CXs/R16's since I was a kid. The Xantia leather seats I find not great either, they aren't bad in the way the BXtri seat was. The passenger seat has little lower back support and both Ang and I find it uncomfortable after a period of time. The drivers seat is much better with the lower back support adjustment, however after a couple of hours I find my bum gets numb from the hard seats.

IMO none of the modern cars I have here(since the poogoe takeover) are remotely good compared to the earlier cars. However I've sat in quite a few BX's that are very good. The seats with the problems appear to be the ones with the rotary knobs on the front of the lower cushion.

I find it strange Alan likes the BXtrs seats, he has big back problems, yet finds them quite comfy (maybe the younger generation just has no idea what uncomfortable really is ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

G'Day mate
    I could perhaps forseeably take you for a ride or let you drive my car, but probably not for the next few weeks, it'll depend on what sort of time frame you had in mind. I need to get a few things fixed and weekends are really the only time I have.
    My opinion is the seats are excellent, except my driver's seat is noticeably worn (the foam is slightly collapsed). It's still very comfy, but the passenger side is nicer. Lack of lumbar support is noticeable but not a problem, the seats are quite supportive regardless. It would be nice though.
    Ergonomics are mostly pretty good but the accellerator pedal position is very high, a right pain in the heel for a long drive. The first thing you'll notice is the reclined driving position, true italian style!
    Visibility wise, I rate it quite good compared to many modern cars, but the most noticeable aspects are:

Rear view mirror too high to make the best of seeing out the rear window,

It's also too low to allow for optimal view out of the expansive windscreen, The screen is huge but the rear view mirror is too...

The low angle of the windscreen means the A pillars stretch out quite far and hence you'll be moving your head a lot to see past them.

The Rear C pillars are not really a problem, mk 1 BXs and some later ones are darkened but still translucent so visibility would be moderately better with these.

If your interested in taking it for a drive, just say so and I'll try and arrange it, but I'm sorry I can't promise anything.
    , Andrew.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

To add a bit more to the seat comfort bit ... MattG called around in his Xsara VTS last night... Now THAT car has some seriously supportive seats .... Obviously I didn't sit in them for any length of time but they certainly have my approval, especially given there better seats than I've sat in than any other modern Citroen (feel more supportive than the XM seats too).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default Bx

Thanks for the help. I have yet to decide what to buy but would like to take you up on the offer AJ. I will let you know when I have a chance as well. I start a new job this week and still working on my new workshop in my spare moments. Thanks again, Dan.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Thread Information