Going for a pint with buttercup bob!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Going for a pint with buttercup bob!

Hi gang, I'm off for a pint with buttercup bob on saturday night. Are there any messages you want me to pass on?
    I bet he will be glad to be leaving this EXTREMELY COLD country soon.
    We have a hard frost every night, and where I am just now, freezing fog with it! Trust me, it really ain't pleasant at all! Oh, and don't forget all that lovely salt on the roads, which we need, or you wouldn't be able to move!
    You lot might be envious of us Brits getting cars for next to nothing, be there is a price to pay, and the weather is it! I hope this winter isn't going to be like 1982, when we had minus 26ļC!!!!!!
    john s

Advertisement
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Fellow Frogger!

Give Bob my congatulations for a mammoth effort and tell him we'll keep the home fir-- I mean fans humming. ---- Gilberthenry

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    Hi gang, I'm off for a pint with buttercup bob on saturday night. Are there any messages you want me to pass on?
    I bet he will be glad to be leaving this EXTREMELY COLD country soon.
    We have a hard frost every night, and where I am just now, freezing fog with it! Trust me, it really ain't pleasant at all! Oh, and don't forget all that lovely salt on the roads, which we need, or you wouldn't be able to move!
    You lot might be envious of us Brits getting cars for next to nothing, be there is a price to pay, and the weather is it! I hope this winter isn't going to be like 1982, when we had minus 26ļC!!!!!!
    john s
    Hey Smiffy i am interested in the alcohol content of your super ale/larger tap beer. As you poms seem to be drinking pints all the time do you fall over a lot or do you drink your pints slowly because the aforementioned weather does not warm your beer when its sitting around.

Fosters is 4.9% but unafordable as a dayly drink and is hard to find in the local bottle'o and can only be found on tap at your more trendy botique bars. When I was a lad all we drank was Fosters as it was the beer of the time and a reasonable price no dearer than VB 4.9% or Reshes DA, Pilsener or Tooheys, but now its gone international aussies don't drink it, over priced and over rated.

I recon our best beer is Coopers ale at 5% , it tastes kinda like home brew without the stuffups (I think as we speek Lion Nathan is trying to buy it out) half a doz of these will see you on your way to being, to quote Floyd "comfortably numb".

Cooch

This post in no way condones the excessive consumption of alcohol and urges the reader to apply self restraint and consume alcohol in moderation.

As far as "lager beer" like fosters, and castlemaine 4X goes, you're speaking to the wrong bloke here, as I think they are tasteless piss!!
    Now, REAL beer on the other hand like McEWANS #1 champion ale, is 8%, and goes down like gravy!!
    I like Youngs "christmas pudding" ale. It's only sold in winter, and tastes just like, err, christmas pudding!! That is 6%. Most decent beer is about 4.5, or 5%, but to be honest, I don't care about that, it's all about taste!
    When I was last in Oz, I found VB to be very bland, but tooheys old was very nice, in fact, I got my mate who was in england this summer to bring some with him, so I could drink it while watching the cricket!! john s

I was manning the 2CVGB stand at the recent Classic Motor Show (the big autumn thrash at the National Exhibition Centre, that grandly-named collection of tin sheds surrounded by several thousand hectares of featureless tarmac near Birmingham Airport...) and was able to have a chat with Bob while admiring Buttercup on the Citroen Car Club stand. Top bloke!
    ...and this, from one who runs a 12 year old XM as his 'sensible' car...

Er Cooch,

ye olde Cooper's Ale weighs in at a slightly heavier 5.8%, which is why it renders one a little more comfortable a little faster and adds so convincingly to waistline plushness.

cheers ed ge

longtime Cooper's Ale fan and obstainer,

did you used to get those Foster's longneck sized tins you had to open with the triangle tinny opener?, or how about the the can and a half tinny (the first one with a ring pull)?, for when you only wanted to get half pissed.

So you got three choices:

can - for a social drink
    can & a 1/2 - if you only wanted to get half pissed &
    longneck tinny - when you bloody well knew what you wanted.

And three choices of beer too:

Melbourne Bitter
    Carlton Draught
    Foster's Lager

I don't think many people drank the headache in a green tin back then.

A bloke really only needed three choices back then:

Good
    Bad &
    Desperate

Or was that:

Good
    Ok &
    Bad..........?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Pick the one that lives in Adelaide. Anything with a Coopers label is *good*, even there homebrew is excellent. Slowly there starting to break into other markets once people realise what [email protected] the VB's/XXXX/etc... are.

As for having a beer at the local pub ... Anyone with Guiness on tap get the big thumbs up from me

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I think Bob will need to wash his car after today, I woke up to really heavy snow!!! By the time I'd cleared the windows on the CX, I had to do it again, it was coming down so fast! Funny thing though, by about 10 am, it was all gone, and melted away...and in true British efficiency and style, the roads were not gritted
    This pic was taken friday morning just outside the historic city of bath, to give you an idea....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going for a pint with buttercup bob!-snow-.jpg  

UFO

So that would have been a very cold Bath - ha ha ha ....

Tell Bob that Craig and Deb say THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU AND THANKYOU.

He will know why.

We woke here this morning to a cold bleak windy and raining morning - by early afternoon it was over 22deg and sunny. Although tomorrow is supposed to be coldish and wet again.

If Bob does not already know, he will have lots of GREEN at home when he gets back - and it won't be LHM. The drought has broken big time.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Well, it was good catching up with Bob, he tells me he was going to go down to the tip of cornwall. The place is called "lands end" (i know it well, as the family on my mothers side is from there) It's just aswell he didn't, as he would still be there, stuck at a village hall, with all the other stranded motorists, and their cars abandoned on the road miles away!
    Bob needed to be on his way in a hurry tonight, as he has a lot of re-packing to do. so we didn't go for that He's had fun all the same! He tells me in the couple of months he's been in europe, he's clocked up nearly 12,000 MILES in buttercup However, I went out with docchevron1472, and had my favourite christmas pudding ale, which was very nice! I'll give bob a ring in the morning to make sure he got to southampton ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going for a pint with buttercup bob!-bus-001.jpg  

UFO

Christmas Pudding in a bottle - BLISS!

Alan - you'd better work on this one for next year.

Smiffy I may have a car you can drive to Dubbo too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Christmas Pudding in a bottle - BLISS!

Alan - you'd better work on this one for next year.

Smiffy I may have a car you can drive to Dubbo too.
    Cool, I would have gone by train, but I'd much rather go in a CIT, as part of a convoy perhaps....
    I'm looking foreward to it already. Mind you, my credit card isn't! john s

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    Cool, I would have gone by train, but I'd much rather go in a CIT, as part of a convoy perhaps....
    I'm looking foreward to it already. Mind you, my credit card isn't! john s
    Don't even think about a train trip. With the number of Cits going from Sydney you will be certain to get a ride somehow. You may have to refrain from lighting up though.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    You may have to refrain from lighting up though.
    I wouldn't dream of doing that in a non-smokers car!!! In any case, with all the bans coming into force here soon, it is only a matter of time before I quit anyway, as it will be just too difficult to continue smoking. john s

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Er Cooch,

ye olde Cooper's Ale weighs in at a slightly heavier 5.8%, which is why it renders one a little more comfortable a little faster and adds so convincingly to waistline plushness.

cheers ed ge

longtime Cooper's Ale fan and obstainer,

did you used to get those Foster's longneck sized tins you had to open with the triangle tinny opener?, or how about the the can and a half tinny (the first one with a ring pull)?, for when you only wanted to get half pissed.

So you got three choices:

can - for a social drink
    can & a 1/2 - if you only wanted to get half pissed &
    longneck tinny - when you bloody well knew what you wanted.

And three choices of beer too:

Melbourne Bitter
    Carlton Draught
    Foster's Lager

I don't think many people drank the headache in a green tin back then.

A bloke really only needed three choices back then:

Good
    Bad &
    Desperate

Or was that:

Good
    Ok &
    Bad..........?
    Yep Ed big tins for a big thirst I think from what's left of my memory Carton draft came in big tns as well. you also had other efforts from the brewers to sell their wares like the keg stubbie the KB dimpled cans. oh remember that sh!t Sydney Bitter. ooooooh Coopers Ale is mothers milk but to dear as a regular drink.

Oh Shane, that black stuff will kill you.

Cooch

Quote Originally Posted by Cooch Goodwin

Hey Smiffy i am interested in the alcohol content of your super ale/larger tap beer. As you poms seem to be drinking pints all the time do you fall over a lot or do you drink your pints slowly because the aforementioned weather does not warm your beer when its sitting around.

Fosters is 4.9% but unafordable as a dayly drink and is hard to find in the local bottle'o and can only be found on tap at your more trendy botique bars. When I was a lad all we drank was Fosters as it was the beer of the time and a reasonable price no dearer than VB 4.9% or Reshes DA, Pilsener or Tooheys, but now its gone international aussies don't drink it, over priced and over rated.

I recon our best beer is Coopers ale at 5% , it tastes kinda like home brew without the stuffups (I think as we speek Lion Nathan is trying to buy it out) half a doz of these will see you on your way to being, to quote Floyd "comfortably numb".

Cooch

This post in no way condones the excessive consumption of alcohol and urges the reader to apply self restraint and consume alcohol in moderation.
    You are a civilised man. When I was a student in Adelaide, Coopers was 43c a bottle (26 fl oz) and Southwark, distinctly poorer than Coke as it doesn't even work as soldering flux, was 42c a bottle. No contest. I agree with your opinion, obviously.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Pick the one that lives in Adelaide. Anything with a Coopers label is *good*, even there homebrew is excellent. Slowly there starting to break into other markets once people realise what [email protected] the VB's/XXXX/etc... are.

As for having a beer at the local pub ... Anyone with Guiness on tap get the big thumbs up from me

seeya,
    Shane L.
    You are also a civilised man!! But how do you rate Guinness compared with the rich glory of Coopers Stout?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Nothing can emulate Guiness with it's creamy mouth feel (I think they gas it with Nitrogen instead of C02 to get it creamy like that).

I actually haven't tried Coopers stout... There homebrew stout is a bloody good drop though... I've probably got over 100long knecks of varieties of homebrew coopers here... The homebrew is very faithful to the taste/mouthfeel of there commerical brews (really there homebrew is bloody great stuff ). Everytime I make a homebrew that's not Coopers I'm dissapointed (unless it's a costly import).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Nothing can emulate Guiness with it's creamy mouth feel (I think they gas it with Nitrogen instead of C02 to get it creamy like that).

I actually haven't tried Coopers stout... There homebrew stout is a bloody good drop though... I've probably got over 100long knecks of varieties of homebrew coopers here... The homebrew is very faithful to the taste/mouthfeel of there commerical brews (really there homebrew is bloody great stuff ). Everytime I make a homebrew that's not Coopers I'm dissapointed (unless it's a costly import).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    No argument about the Guinness mouth feel (and my father came from Dublin so I'm educated!!!). But you should find some Coopers Stout and compare the flavours. I don't say it's better, but it is different and rich. Personally I use both shamelessly!!!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

My mum tells me that when she was pregnant with me back in 1969, my grandma used to virtually force feed her with guiness!!!
    Maybe that's why I turned out like this? john s

Thread Information