DS worth 20 grand ?!?!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon5 DS worth 20 grand ?!?!

hmm... looking at cars on car sales i've now seen DS's that have been listed at $15k + honestly do these cars sell or are people dreaming ?? nothing agains D's, i'd love to own one one day and it would be my first choice if I bought a citroen but I didn't realise that they were that colectable yet

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    I didn't realise that they were that colectable yet
    Are you kidding?? Here in England, the prices for DS and ID would horrify you!
    About 2 years ago, an unrestored Chapron Decapotable sold at auction for AU$ 175,000!!!
    The going rate here for a scruffy, but sound car, is AU$ 4,600, and this can easily go upto AU$ 28,000 depending on model and condition.
    john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

hmm... looking at cars on car sales i've now seen DS's that have been listed at $15k + honestly do these cars sell or are people dreaming ?? nothing agains D's, i'd love to own one one day and it would be my first choice if I bought a citroen but I didn't realise that they were that colectable yet
    Well lets see, first take a mechanically sound saught after DS .... Spend $10grand on getting it a perfect paint job, $10grand on fully retrimming it's (huge amount) of leather interior ....... Ummm, were upto $20grand already and have only done the 'visual' parts of the car.

For an excelllent DS, IMO $15000++ isn't a lot of $$$. Infact there wouldn't be many DS's that are in very good condition worth less than that (even the lowly DSpecials are worth upwards of $8000 if in excellent condition).

Someday the world willl wake up to what an incredible peice of history the DS's are and they'll suddenly be out of the price range of most of todays enthusiests

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Well lets see, first take a mechanically sound saught after DS .... Spend $10grand on getting it a perfect paint job, $10grand on fully retrimming it's (huge amount) of leather interior ....... Ummm, were upto $20grand already and have only done the 'visual' parts of the car.

For an excelllent DS, IMO $15000++ isn't a lot of $$$. Infact there wouldn't be many DS's that are in very good condition worth less than that (even the lowly DSpecials are worth upwards of $8000 if in excellent condition).

Someday the world willl wake up to what an incredible peice of history the DS's are and they'll suddenly be out of the price range of most of todays enthusiests

seeya,
    Shane L.
    don't misread me shane, I believe in all honesty that a DS will become fairly colevtible given a few more years, but I just hadn't realised they were that colectable yet.

but that said there are certain amounts of work you will do to any car in restoration/performace upgrades, and just because you spent the money doesn't mean the next silly buger is going to be game enough to pay what it cost you to restore it, and I would asume this would be more the case with a D, when it's such a niche car
    Last edited by orestes; 23rd November 2005 at 01:48 PM.

Icon12

don't misread me shane, I believe in all honesty that a DS will become fairly colevtible given a few more years, but I just hadn't realised they were that colectable yet.

but that said there are certain amounts of work you will do to any car in restoration/performace upgrades, and just because you spent the money doesn't mean the next silly buger is going to be game enough to pay what it cost you to restore it
    I think Shane is saying is exactly that - when I purchased mine the previous owner had reciepts for around $20,000.00 seriously... the car had a complete mechanical overhaul rebuilt 23 motor, five speed gearbox installed, complete repaint, new upholstery, carpets etc., air-con fitted, aftermarket sunroof (vinyl slide type) and a host of smaller items. Of course I paid nothing like the dollars invested, I bought at auction from a deceased estate.

Sadly mine is somewhat of a bitsa, it started life as a humble Dspecial, it's a great car but not a car purists would see as desirable - on todays market it may sell for around 10-15.

A good original D should now easily command double figures, hopefully these cars will not be sold to the next silly buger (sic) but to genuine Citroen enthusiasts to be maintained and appreciated for what they are.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

. Of course I paid nothing like the dollars invested, I bought at auction from a deceased estate.

Lucky find, that just shows how much they are worth somepeople never will be pesuaded to sell no matter what the offer

Sadly mine is somewhat of a bitsa, it started life as a humble Dspecial, it's a great car but not a car purists would see as desirable - on todays market it may sell for around 10-15.

We nevr could afford a Pallas ,21's,23's etc . It was always a bitsa or a cleane eg of a special my rich uncle could afford to at the time, an you just cant go wrong with a special for maintanance, engine gearbox package bomb proof theres really not that much power difference maybe tow and man they can tow! every holiday around Aus was either with a caravan,fully loaded trailor or a broken Renult 16 on the back my uncle who had a bricklaying company built houseing comission houses in some of the remote places of Aust in the 70's he had stories of passing........ Landcruises,Fords,Holdens..... stranded in the bush with colapsed suspentions (imagine this big grey shark with wheels going by with a 28foot caravan on the back ) Growing up I aways preferred the Deesse better than any citroen in our family and I do beleive they are underated for value.

A good original D should now easily command double figures, hopefully these cars will not be sold to the next silly buger (sic) but to genuine Citroen enthusiasts to be maintained and appreciated for what they are.

My uncle bought his brand new at the time (1970) for $5600 a Ford GTHO sold for $4800 brand new. And yet you see them sold today for $70 000+ how do you justify that for a stone age peice of junk .

Dan

Default I know where to find a good one!

Well along these general thoughts, perhaps there is hope for those who aspire to own a top of the line D at an reasonable price after all. Check out my post in cars for sale, if you are genuinely in the market for what I consider to be an absolutely top shelf D series in a more affordable price range.
    Cheers,

Fellow Frogger!

In the UK and Europe the D special, DS pallas etc etc are common as muck but the early ones, i.e. first and second nose are very rare and suddenly becoming much more desirable (maybe the 50th anniversary had something to do with raising the profile) The value of these are increasing rapidly and outpacing easily the prices of even well restored 3rd nose cars.
    At any rally it is the early cars which get the attention, in particular ones which have not been restored but which are sound and original.
    As you are lucky enough to love in lovely dry Australia, I would start looking in barns for solid early cars before people wise up there as well!! (OK spare parts for the early ones are a major problem, even in Holland)
    Cheers
    Helmut

So here we are 6 years on and it is common for a good DS to command $30,000. I wonder what the next 6 years will bring?

Default DS Prices

Thought this would be of interest based on the conversations
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS worth 20 grand ?!?!-img00305-20110820-1509.jpg  

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by redbackracing View Post
    Thought this would be of interest based on the conversations
    That looks to be this car?

http://home.btconnect.com/centrevill...le.html#anchor

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

It's all relative isn't it? Time goes by and some more cars dissapear and the demand increases. Many owners probably keep their D's for a long period, put alot of money into them, I don't have any qualms with them appreciating, they're not cheap to maintain or restore so the market is going to reflect this, owners will want a decent price for their cars. If they're not in good condition or plagued with rust then anyone with some understanding won't be spending much on one. I think some prices appear a bit gonzo but then buyers should be patient and do the homework. You're still going to be forking out to enjoy regular use of a car that at youngest is over 36 years old whichever way you look at it.

It's tiresome that an outstanding example D at $30K might be regarded as a bit pricey. Dear oh dear - ah well...it's always been this way I suppose. What on earth has a Healy (3 times that) Falcon GT (4 times that), pint sized mini cooper S - well again in excess of that - tired and scrappy 911...well in excess....mustang...any clapped out one you can find(could go on and on)....got over the D? Design....cultural significance? Hardly. Keep 'em a secret. See if I care.

Tim

Default Ds

Here is the link to that DS so you can see just how beautiful it is.
    http://home.btconnect.com/centrevill...le.html#anchor

Chatting to Darrin in the UK he maintains its worth every penny it's just on perfect.

I have my D Special in more and more pieces as I try to get it looking as good.

I had one of the guys who knows DS's put a value on my DS23 and his words were, "its rust free and very tidy" he would put it up for sale at $30k+ .
    Its NOT for sale and gets used as a semi daily drive (no rainy days) otherwise it's being pampered and growing in value.

In the last 6 months I know of more than 10 DS's that have been scrapped and it's getting harder to find a good rust free one, so the price of a rust free DS is going to go up and up.

Look after your "D" it's like your superfund.

Got to love those D's.

Enjoy
    Colin
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1975 DS23 IE Pallas Auto
    1972 D Special 4Sp
    1/2 a DS23 Auto
    www.ds23.com.au
    Had a 1974 D Special 4Sp (by now reborn as a Toaster)

cars ain't no investment they are an addiction and entertainment,( a bit like women)
    anybody who tells you otherwise is just yanking their own chain, ie aston db6 1984 $40000 2011 $200000 residence inner city Perth 1984 $40000 2011 $1,200,000 which is the investment and the property has been gathering rent for all that time while the car has been gathering license fees insurance repairs and dust! but still got both
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

DS

They were collectable in the 80's and have been ever since. If only I'd bought Cabrios back then!
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

A friend of mine just advertised his beautiful black restored DS23 for 30k and sold it straight away and couldn't believe the amount of calls he had on it.

Should have asked more
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    A friend of mine just advertised his beautiful black restored DS23 for 30k and sold it straight away and couldn't believe the amount of calls he had on it.

Should have asked more
    I'm still kicking myself for not buying that tatty but sound DS21 bvh you had there a few years back .... Why didn't we all fall over ourselves to get to that car

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I'm still kicking myself for not buying that tatty but sound DS21 bvh you had there a few years back .... Why didn't we all fall over ourselves to get to that car
    I even drove it, and still didn't buy it. Still, I have enough cars to keep on the road at the moment. Probably too many, actually.

Roger

Default DS prices

I think most good DS's change hands without being advertised, that's my experience anyway. Based on some of the comments here, some of you would be very surprised to know what good ones actually go for.

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    I think most good DS's change hands without being advertised, that's my experience anyway. Based on some of the comments here, some of you would be very surprised to know what good ones actually go for.
    Do tell, no-one's listening

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

seeya,
    Shane L
    That car is still around and still tatty. Its at the panel beaters in Melton and is half stripped but still drivable. The owner is still in the UK and is suppose to be sending money over every month to have it restored but hasn't for a long time now. Paul the beater is talking about getting rid on it if he doesn't come good with some cash soon.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    That car is still around and still tatty. Its at the panel beaters in Melton and is half stripped but still drivable. The owner is still in the UK and is suppose to be sending money over every month to have it restored but hasn't for a long time now. Paul the beater is talking about getting rid on it if he doesn't come good with some cash soon.
    I need another project right .... Actually I'll get Roger to buy it and store it here .... And I'll just drive it as soon as he's looking the other direction

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

It might make a good donor of BVH parts to convert my 23.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    It might make a good donor of BVH parts to convert my 23.

Roger
    Did you read my mind ?? I was thinking of building it into a DS21ie pallas hybrid ... by picking and choosing the best bits from both that car and the DS21ie I have here... If it's hull is better I'd move the injected donk over into it ... or more it's bvh bits to my car.

Give me 12months to finish and paint and ID19 first though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information