1969 ID19 question
  • Register
  • Help

Default 1969 ID19 question

Hi all,
    I've had to do a lot of largely unexpected work on my recently acquired ID (should have looked more closely before I bought it I guess ) and have managed to learn a LOT about the mechanical layout of these cars. . . .
    One thing, however, that I cant find is the cylinder block coolant drain plug - where does it hide?
    Thanks for your help, guys.

Advertisement
    Peter and Sophia
    Jarrahdale, WA
    1970 ID19B

OK, I may have found the drain plug, tucked away up near the starter motor - does this sound correct to anyone?

AND. . .another question. . .my car had been filled with transmission fluid instead of LHM at some stage - I've read a fair bit about the potential long term dangers of using trans fluid elsewhere on the forum so I plant to replace it with LHM.
    Now, I've drained the system to the best of my ability (I had to replace the steering rack boots, so I've go it all out of the rack and I've drained the suspension cylinders and return lines as well as the tank) but obviously there will be some trans fluid in there that I cant get out.
    To get the rest out, I was planning to pour LHM directly into the suction line of the HP pump while running the car through a few suspension and steering cycles as well as bleeding the brakes; and continuing this until the fluid that drained out of the tank was green. . .does this sound reasonable? Is there likely to be any nasty incompatability problems between the new LHM and the old trans fluid (I have no idea what type of fluid has been used) while the flushing is in progress?

Thanks for your help!
    Peter and Sophia
    Jarrahdale, WA
    1970 ID19B

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I think on the long stroke motor it's below the inlet manifold, you'll probably have to unblock it.

On the short stroke motor (same as a CX) my faultering memory places it above the starter motor .... I've just checked my engine piccies, but it's well hidden behind the manifold/turbo/wastegate.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Hi
    Looking at my parts book the drain plug is below the dipstick on the long stroke engine and just above the breather.
    Im not sure where it is on the later engines,
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Helmut

Thanks both Shane and Helmut. . .the drain plug did turn out to be jammed sort of behind and just below the starter motor - pretty much impossible to get at. But with a strategically bent-and-ground-back ring spanner, it finally came out and the block was drained and flushed.

Now, for another stupid question from a D newbie. . .how 'directly below' the access hole in the scuttle panel should the no. 4 spark plug be? I noticed on our car that the plug is slightly behind the access hole. I could still get the plug out easily enough with a plug socket and solid extension bar but the access hole and plug hole in the rocker cover are certainly not in direct alignment.
    Does this suggest that my engine mounts are worn and the rear of the motor has dropped, or is this a 'normal' D trait?

Thanks for all your help and advice,
    Peter and Sophia
    Jarrahdale, WA
    1970 ID19B

Thread Information