BX hydraulic pump on Xantia.
  • Register
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default BX hydraulic pump on Xantia.

Any ideas as to whether a BX hydraulic pump will fit a Xantia?

Advertisement

Graham

Which model Xantia?
    The I know the VSX hydractive ones have a multi-cylinder pump - something like 6 cylinders to drive the powered steering and only 2 for the rest, in which case a standard BX pump would not suit. Perhaps someone else can add to this?
    Regards, Andrew.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

Without looking up the technical jargon, I think you'd have to be lucky as the Xantia on some models runs what is called a 6/2 pump but I do believe on some models it may be interchangeable.
    On the CXs there was a conversion that some did that allowed the power steering to run more efficiently at low revs due to the amount of pressure it required al low revs and the ability of the BX pump to supply at that lower rev range.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Xantia in question is non hydroactive 1994 SX 1800
    not sure which pump it has
    thanks for the input
    Alpine

The BX pump drives off the gearbox end of the cam whereas the Xant pump is mounted in the altenator area, so no. Also the Xant pump has 2 outlets, the BX has one and a different pulley.
    The bloke with too many BX's

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    The BX pump drives off the gearbox end of the cam whereas the Xant pump is mounted in the altenator area, so no. Also the Xant pump has 2 outlets, the BX has one and a different pulley.
    Both the BXs I have pulled apart have had the pump near the alternator. These were TRi and TZi. What sort of drive system would be used from the gear box end??

Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ajpolden
    Which model Xantia?
    The I know the VSX hydractive ones have a multi-cylinder pump - something like 6 cylinders to drive the powered steering and only 2 for the rest, in which case a standard BX pump would not suit. Perhaps someone else can add to this?
    Regards, Andrew.
    As I've mentioned in another thread the two output pump was introduced together with anti-sink in 1994 regardless of VSX or other model designations. So only 1993 or early 1994 models will have the single output pump. (The changeover occured in December 1993 for manufacturing date according to the Citroen manuals I have, but cars sold up to mid 1994 could sometimes have the old system until they used up stock)

Because of this the single output pump is pretty rare on Xantia's. So far I've only seen one.

Regards,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Both the BXs I have pulled apart have had the pump near the alternator. These were TRi and TZi. What sort of drive system would be used from the gear box end??

Graham
    I can only refer to CX systems, but the old pumps on those were driven like a fuel pump using a an arm on a cam lobe and the pump bolted to the block.
    If you can access a specs of both via service manuals, that might be your best guide.
    My Xantia has a pump fitted that is poles apart from the BX pump right down to the location and mounts used. In this instance, 'twould be a braver soul than I who tried to fit one to the other.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I can only refer to CX systems, but the old pumps on those were driven like a fuel pump using a an arm on a cam lobe and the pump bolted to the block.
    If you can access a specs of both via service manuals, that might be your best guide.
    My Xantia has a pump fitted that is poles apart from the BX pump right down to the location and mounts used. In this instance, 'twould be a braver soul than I who tried to fit one to the other.

Alan S
    That would be very brave indeed I think Alan!!!! Less subtly, "just don't even think more of doing it!"

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    On diesels perhaps? Or do they put the gearbox on the other end of the engine in the UK?

All BXs I have seen in Aus have the pump on the alternator end.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS

Graham

Ah yes, sorry I forgot this is the position of the pump on the diesel
    Its driven off the gearbox end of the cam. I forgot the positioning of the pump on the petrol ones.

Ignore me and I'll go away
    The bloke with too many BX's

Thread Information