Xantia aircon v's Xsara
  • Register
  • Help

Default Xantia aircon v's Xsara

Took mum's Xantia for the CCCQ drive yesterday (wonderful day - great company and good food) and was again unimpressed by the rate at which the cabin was cooled by aircon in comparison to my Xsara VTR (rear of the car barely seems to feel aircon'ed).
    Now I know the Xsara has much less glass/ cabin to counteract, but can anyone tell me if their Xantia aircon is particularly fast at cooling.
    Wondering if mum's needs checking, and if I should look at ever buying a dark coloured Xantia.
    Thanks

Advertisement

Mine's a dark colour and with that sunroof with no cover, it's a doozey on a summers day.
    I bought a set of side window shades for the rear side windows, drive constantly with the rear blind up and fitted a couple over the glass sunroof. Result is that even in summer when the thermometer is showing around 40 outside, I can feel a good cold blast by the ime I hit my front gate (150 metres) and by the time I hit the end of the road (700 metres) it is quite comfortable in the cab.
    My suggestion would be that if the cold air is coming from the vents, then the problem is heat getting in via the window area and that is what needs addressing.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

UFO

Could it be that the heater valve is stuck open? Does the "cool" air get warmer after you have been driving for a while?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The pollen filter may need a good clean or replacement too.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Fellow Frogger!

I find the Air-Con on my Xantia to be "satisfactory" (when it decides its going to work, which is most, but not all of the time ) but nothing special....

Here in NZ we've started having a few 30 degree plus days in recent weeks (I know thats nothing for you guys in Aus ) which is the first hot weather since I've had it, and it seems to do a fairly good job.... takes about 10-15 seconds until the air coming through the vent reaches its coldest temperature, and probably 2-3 minutes driving before a hot cabin thats been sitting in the sun has been cooled down to an acceptable temperature.

My main complaint is that the automatic temperature control system seems to lose its common sense as soon as the air-con is turned on - any setting below about 25 degrees and the air is just full cold, and any setting above 26 and the air is hot with the air-con on....

So when it gets TOO cold I just end up having to turn the air-con off and on manually every few minutes.

The automatic temperature gizmo does seem to work with the aircon off, so I'm not sure if I have a fault or its just a limitation of the control system, although I seem to remember reading somewhere that the air-con can be used in conjunction with the heater to give warm de-humidified air, but that doesn't necessarily mean the automatic temperature regulation is working in those conditions I suppose...

As for the aircon failing to start sometimes, I think I've narrowed it down to insufficient voltage to the compressor clutch due to voltage drop problems under certain circumstances - for example with the interior fan on full blast and the engine idling (lowest voltage) you sometimes don't hear the "click" from the compressor clutch, and you get little or no cooling.

On the other hand with the fan speed set to low and/or the engine revs a bit higher it switches on nearly every time. Most probably doing the relay mod for the blower fans will get around the problem...

Regards,
    Simon

Another club event - another drive in the Xantia (and yet again good company and food).
    Found that if the lever is put on the upper vents only the car does feel cooler much faster (usually have it on upper and lower). Did eventually have to put the temp up today.
    No blasts of hot air, but thanks for the suggestion Craig.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H
    Another club event - another drive in the Xantia (and yet again good company and food).
    Found that if the lever is put on the upper vents only the car does feel cooler much faster (usually have it on upper and lower). Did eventually have to put the temp up today.
    No blasts of hot air, but thanks for the suggestion Craig.
    I find the same. I always set it to upper vents only when I'm first cooling down the cabin or when I need maximum cooling after it cools down a bit I switch the vent lever back to upper and lower vents to avoid having too much too-cold air blowing directly in my face.

Also note that in the "Auto" fan speed mode that the speed is affected by the vent selection slider - it runs one speed faster than upper vents only when you set it to lower and upper vent mode - except if it was already running at maximum speed of course.

Now if only I could convince mine to work EVERY time I turn it on...

We're only just reaching the middle of summer now and we've already had quite a few 34 degree scorchers (which is pretty hot for over here... ) and its pretty uncomfortable when the air-con decides its not going to work...

Regards,
    Simon

Thread Information