CX ignition cutting out
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX ignition cutting out

My CX25PALLASie's ignition has been cutting out, usually when going around slow left hand corners, usually it will start in neutral straight away, but occasionally you have to crank away for a few minutes and it will act as if it is flooded and gradually will come to life. Whilst you are cranking away there is a strong smell of fuel, but on lifting the bonnet there is no sign of excess fuel.
    This same car I have driven to Maleny and back in 2003, and Canberra and back in 2004, but it will cut out twice in 10 minutes in town in 2005.
    When you are a Citroenaphile stranded by the road, it is very embarrassing when everyone knows you.
    Any ideas?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by arunine
    My CX25PALLASie's ignition has been cutting out, usually when going around slow left hand corners, usually it will start in neutral straight away, but occasionally you have to crank away for a few minutes and it will act as if it is flooded and gradually will come to life. Whilst you are cranking away there is a strong smell of fuel, but on lifting the bonnet there is no sign of excess fuel.
    This same car I have driven to Maleny and back in 2003, and Canberra and back in 2004, but it will cut out twice in 10 minutes in town in 2005.
    When you are a Citroenaphile stranded by the road, it is very embarrassing when everyone knows you.
    Any ideas?
    Sounds very much like Flywheel sensors breaking down, inexpensive and easy fix...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

EUREKA!
    The problem exposed itself in a puff of smoke.
    My wife must have had a new battery fitted at some time. The new battery did not have a lug on the bottom to clamp it down, consequently it was sliding across the carrier and shorting out the ignition, when doing a left hand turn.
    My daughter was driving it at the time the puff of smoke came from under the bonnet, as the altenator wire melted its coating.
    I think I will name the car Puff. Puff the tragic wagon, we live by the sea.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Phew ... Lucky she didn't burn... The battery in my old CX2400 used to slide around but the air-con retained it, never was there an issue. The terminals must be on the other side of your battery so the terminals touch the air-con

On the CX turbo, the battery kept moving even with the battery clamped at the bottom... I think it's a modern battery problem where the ledges a the base of them aren't big enough, or on strange angles. I fixed it by slashing a length of pipe down it's length and pushing it across the battery retaining clamp. It's rock solid now and the battery has never moved again

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by arunine
    I think I will name the car Puff. Puff the tragic wagon, we live by the sea.
    Is the car named after the owner's sense of humour? Very good!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information