bx16v injector cleaning
  • Register
  • Help

Default bx16v injector cleaning

Motor idles OK but every now and then flutters and misses - same at cruising speed.

Advertisement

High tension cables, rotor, cap & O2 sensor replaced, knock sensor cleaned.

Decided to clean injectors - have access to ultarasonic cleaner.

Few questions:

1. When will I stop spending money on this beast - no need to answer!

2. What's the best fluid to put into the ultrasonic cleaner?

3. What's the Bosch part No. for the O ring seals?

4. Why 9 seals?

5. Who stocks these in Sydney?

6. What's the right way to replace the injectors 100%?

Thanks

Ron

Fellow Frogger!

Default injectors

hi ron,

I used dishwashing detergent , and then in another separate dosage i think I used methylated spirits. Other people have suggested shellite or carby cleaner. A guy at a fuel injection place told me the solution they use is caustic, which is why I chose dishwashing detergent. I really have no idea if the cleaning process worked properly but they "looked" a lot cleaner. Also remember to clean out around the holes in the manifold that the injectors stick into. I did it with a vaccuum cleaner at the same time to stop the deposits falling back down into the manifold.

I think the bx needs an extra seal because the fuel line seals onto the rail or something? there's a thread on this somewhere if you search for it.
    1984 505 STI

1000+ Posts

Hi Ron, give it a go and see.
    If it does not work then you'd have to put then on a rig to observe spray patterns and flow.
    Let us know, perhaps i'll buy an ultrasonic cleaner as my daughter can use one as a jeweller.

Quote Originally Posted by RON G
    Motor idles OK but every now and then flutters and misses - same at cruising speed.

High tension cables, rotor, cap & O2 sensor replaced, knock sensor cleaned.

Decided to clean injectors - have access to ultarasonic cleaner.

Few questions:

1. When will I stop spending money on this beast - no need to answer!

2. What's the best fluid to put into the ultrasonic cleaner?

3. What's the Bosch part No. for the O ring seals?

4. Why 9 seals?

5. Who stocks these in Sydney?

6. What's the right way to replace the injectors 100%?

Thanks

Ron

Ron,

Done the best I can to cover all bases for you in this:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...807#post272807

been meaning to do that for yonks, but the flutters and stutters could be crap on the coil.
    It needs to come out to be properly cleaned and I have had to pull them out up to 5 times before I got it right, but, worth the effort.
    As regards your questions.
    1 - Be meticulous in what you do and you do actually get there, but expect it to be good but never perfect.

2 - I am no expert on that, in fact to be honest, haven't got a ckue. I have access to a MoTeC and I use that to check and compare patterns by connecting it to my car.

3 - Look at the site above. They are supplied as an aftermarket part.

4 - Explained above. 2 for each injector and one for the fuel rail/p.r.

5 - I got mine from an Auto Pro shop, however, my son has recently been buying these in for other brands of cars and at a pinch I can supply the entire kit including (9) "O" rings, caps, spacers and filters for about $25 including postage.

6 - If I'm reading you correctly. Spray WD into the area they fit and leave for a few minutes. Remove the two 10mm bolts from the head ansd two from the pressure regulator on the fuel rail. Slacken the engine lifting ring on the drivers side (one allen headed bolt only) so it can be pushed out of the way. Wriggle the fuel rail until the injectors free themselves from the head. Use more WD around the holes they fit into if necessary. Pull the lot out after firstly removing the wire retaining clips and the plugs. When out, remove the metal retaining tags and then remove the injector from the rail.
    Refurbish/clean etc, then refit.
    Use silicone gease around the "O" rings and fit the injectors back to the rail and refit the retaining clips before refitting the injectors to the head. Once back in place, refit the plugs but firstly use a smearing of silicone grease to the inside o the plug so that it slips easily back in. If hard, don't force ot the pins may slide up inside he plug and either cause a miss or prevent it from starting. Refit wire retaining clips.

Hope that sorts it for you.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

G'day,

I've recently followed Alan's lead and have put a kit through my injectors. FYI, if your local Autopro doesn't have them they'll order them in, however, it seems that this is THE brand of aftermarket fuel parts here in Aus. because everyone I phoned seems to know the brand, even if they didn't have the exact ones. I ended up finding them at Coventry's as well as another place. So just mention the brand and part number as per Alan's pics.

By the way, the injectors came out like new very easily just using carby cleaner. If you're using an ultrasonic cleaner I'd recommend depressing the needle on the end while they're in the bath, as the deposits that cause problems are usually on the seating surface, which is just inside the hole the needle comes out of.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Alan,

Thanks again for the usual good advice.

I pulled out and cleaned the coil - didn't make much difference but I'm sure it was worth doing anyway.

I found out 2 things
    1. there are 2 holes leading into the coil at the bottom of the 4 pin socket -
    what happens to the WD40 and the petrol that get in there while cleaning?
    2. the red plastic 4 pin plug (2+ & 2-) feeding the coil is cracked - could that cause tracking and shorting?

Now to plan "B" - a bottle of Nulon injector fluid into the petrol tank - if that doesn't work than straight to plan "C" - full cleaning of the injectors.

Cheers

Ron

Ron,

Wash with WD, rinse off with petrol, blow dry with compressed air.
    Cracks can = shorts so that may be your culprit.
    Injector cleaner may do something, but we used to use it regularly here and yoiu saw the pics of my our injectors!!! It may clean a bit of stuff out inside the injector but I've found in a lot of cases the holes they fit into are usually almost blocked off with carbon so this is really as about effective as a 'iss in the ocean; save the time, go to plann "C" and then you know where you're going.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information