Shannons Nov Auction 1985 CX Gti
  • Register
  • Help

Default Shannons Nov Auction 1985 CX Gti

Has anyone in the group seen this car or know anything about it?

http://www.shannons.com.au/shannons/...7?opendocument

Advertisement

"Lot 1" looks familiar too.

Hard to fathom their price expectancies; talking around same money for a CX as a Traction but take a peek at the RT40 Corona ($1000 - $3000) unless it's a lot better in the flesh than the pic it looks like something that wouldn't make $100 at an Abandoned vehicle Auction. Covered in deep surface rust and paint absolutely shot.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

That CX looks very tidy from what I can see of it. john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    That CX looks very tidy from what I can see of it. john s
    I'll have a closer look at it when they post a full specs, but I think I might know that car and if it's the one I think it is, it's not a Gti, but an iE.
    The owner (or ex owners) grandson is a spray painter and the car was pensioned off a couple of years back.
    The car I know is a 3 speed auto and has done a zillion miles but was well maintained and I was told it was being pensioned off but suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth, but the owners family came from Victoria which is why I suspect this might be it.

Alan S

It's apparently a 5 speed manual, resprayed,leather (which sounds like it's not in great condition),no books or service records and is owned by the seller of the Light 15.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

A strange one ... It certainly doens't appear to be original (unless it's a personal import).

To my knowledge no local cars were sold with the 'blackout' treatment (I think on GTi Turbo's had that).

ie: window surround chrome, gutter trim, door handles etc... are all mat black instead of chrome.

The body trim is missing from the sides of the car (that protect it in carparks). Both the upper pallas trim and middle door bump strips are missing (IMO they do look better without this trim, but will get many battlescars in carparks without it).

Looks nice, but you would want to give it a very good look over in person before bidding. Especially if it's a personal import (just look at the hidden rust found in Archrivals personaly imported CX ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    A strange one ... It certainly doesn't appear to be original (unless it's a personal import).

To my knowledge no local cars were sold with the 'blackout' treatment (I think on GTi Turbo's had that).

ie: window surround chrome, gutter trim, door handles etc... are all mat black instead of chrome.

The body trim is missing from the sides of the car (that protect it in carparks). Both the upper pallas trim and middle door bump strips are missing (IMO they do look better without this trim, but will get many battlescars in carparks without it).

Looks nice, but you would want to give it a very good look over in person before bidding. Especially if it's a personal import (just look at the hidden rust found in Archrivals personaly imported CX ).

seeya,
    Shane L.

Me and my Dad agreed on going halves for that car, ever since the day I helped Bob clean the h/r tank , I thought of owning it one day

The bidding started at 4g and stopped at 6.5gee's in our favour! (my heart was beating like a machine)

Then when the hammer was gonna slam with no bids for about 3min? some unknown (aka Archrivals) bid via phone, bidded with us until our bugets bust.DAMN! it was evan going to another state I felt so dirty I didnt feel the need of talking about it all the way home.

Then I seen the extent of the rust (I new it had some rustbut when,where,how?)

So really it ended up with the right person for the job.So congrats (again)Archy! your doin a fantastic job down to every fine detail.

Daniel

Default You don't know half of it

Thanks Daniel the car would have been much nicer at $6500 but thats history .Well the rust is now under control maybe . Now its on to the mechanics of the beast . these are the things you missed out on
    1. radiator RS
    2. cooling system had been running plain water - lots of rust
    3. hand brake cables RS
    4. ABS not working
    5. Gearbox mount RS
    6. Rear arm Bearings RS
    7. rear brakes not working
    add all that up
    aren't you lucky
    but its a car so whats new and what will it drive like with that fixed
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL
    Thanks Daniel the car would have been much nicer at $6500 but thats history .Well the rust is now under control maybe . Now its on to the mechanics of the beast . these are the things you missed out on
    1. radiator RS
    2. cooling system had been running plain water - lots of rust
    3. hand brake cables RS
    4. ABS not working
    5. Gearbox mount RS
    6. Rear arm Bearings RS
    7. rear brakes not working
    add all that up
    aren't you lucky
    but its a car so whats new and what will it drive like with that fixed

Man its gonna be a concourse trumps card thats for sure!

The greatest weekend warrior anyone would dream of

Icon9 Except

The car will be nice but even though I've managed to bodge up the hood lining and sun roof bits it will never be original and i still have to install the rear A/C for the SCORCHY summers we have here, imagine sitting in that black cavern on a 45 degree day with no air
    BY the way any info on the Traction Good Bad or Ordinary seems quite a cheap estimate
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Fellow Frogger!

I dropped into Shannons yesterday but neither Citroen was there, when they arrive I will post some comments, though I'm not as expert as many on the board.

Thanks Shane for your observations on the CX, i will kep them in mind when I take a look.

Hi Guys,

yeah it's a strange one... I wonder if it was locally sold:

Does anyone own a late GTi sold here. note also the lack of sill trims (maybe they were removed), the black plastic mirrors and headrests in the car. Possibly this is an interim model between the serie I and II ( or just a car someone has made using parts from several cars).

Note: my series II headrests/interier:

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Tadpole

Yes, I have an original 1985 CX25GTi which was one of the handful officially imported together with CX25IE's. The IEs were auto, the GTi's were manual.

You can see the black-out treatment, rear vision mirrors and side rubbing strips which are fitted to the GTis, as well as the rear headrests, in the following pics. From what I have been able to work out, GTis came with either a leather or tweed herringbone interior with a distinctive centre section padding

Mark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shannons Nov Auction 1985 CX Gti-pic1.jpg   Shannons Nov Auction 1985 CX Gti-rearseat.jpg  
    1974 DS23 IE 5-speed 2FG5028 (resto) (Jilly)
    1974 DS23 IE 5-speed 2FG5035

Now that is one sweet looking CX. I see it has TRX wheels, I never realised they sold them with TRX's in Australia (poor bugger ). Mines supposed to have TRX's too. That really dark red suits the CX perfectly.

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Tadpole

Thanks Shane - glad you like it Yes, the TRXs...make for a terrible ride! Apparently you could buy them as an option when new. I also have a set of refurbished imperial rims ready to fit once I've worn out the TRXs - very much looking forward to that day.
    Last edited by Mark P; 9th November 2005 at 11:06 PM.

UFO

I think I can see a few specks of dirt on that car

Disgusting!!!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO's jelous too.... Someday my car will look that nice .... After I win tattslotto (so can afford to get it painted), and pay someone to clean it on an hourly basis (seriously were just all envious )

BTW: Mark if your CX is at normal ride height (no intermediate) it'll ride and handle better if you lower the back of the car (the wheel spat should pass through the center of the wheel). Ride height makes a dramatic difference to handling and comfort. You need a 4post hoist/pit or ramps to adjust the ride height.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Icon14 Very Interesting Car Mark

Question from the photos you posted it looks like there is something very interesting happening with the rear parcel shelf ?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    UFO's jelous too.... Someday my car will look that nice .... After I win tattslotto (so can afford to get it painted), and pay someone to clean it on an hourly basis (seriously were just all envious )

BTW: Mark if your CX is at normal ride height (no intermediate) it'll ride and handle better if you lower the back of the car (the wheel spat should pass through the center of the wheel). Ride height makes a dramatic difference to handling and comfort. You need a 4post hoist/pit or ramps to adjust the ride height.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    He prolly had the car on high as he just finished brassoing the mufflers

Yes it is a VERY nice car as is Mark's DS23. I keep offering to leave our cars for him to clean but he won't be in it...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

That's the same colour as my turbo. It's "Rouge Delage", and it looks really nice when you polish it up!!!
    I can't wait till I get mine sprayed, but as the winter is coming on, I might just put a cover over it, till spring, and then finish it.
    (yeah right, you believe that?)
    john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Tadpole

Thanks for the comments guys

UFO - ahhhh the old "speck of dirt trick" - I'm used to your antics now! And for the record, I only polish the tailpipe, not the whole exhaust

Shane - thanks for the heads up about the rear ride height - I hadn't noticed that in the pictures before. I'll look into it. The ride is lovely and floaty, but the tyres seem to transmit a lot of road acne into the cabin.

Archrival - the rear parcel shelf is standard, but I think the reflection on the glass in the first photo may make it look like it's doing something else

Smiffy - yup, rouge delage is the colour! When it's all polished up and waxed -I agree - it looks brilliant and has a lot of depth. Hope you get yours all done soon!

Mark.

I see this car sold for $4,000.00.
    Did anyone ever have a look at it?

Fellow Frogger!

I took a quick look at it, had a new paint job so hard to tell whats lurking underneath, and the boot lid had no badges on it and the side rubbing strips were missing. Looked like a genuine GTi with black out treatment, leather upholstery that was a bit cracked and worn, the car looked straight enough but who knows ?

Quote Originally Posted by HERBYJ
    I see this car sold for $4,000.00.
    Did anyone ever have a look at it?

Might be a case of:

Watch this space!!

Alan S

Alans BX16valve and Xantia are about to have some company

If so he must of forgotten how hot they get in summer (or is missing the heat stroke ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information