CX Advice
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: CX Advice

Default CX Advice

I am considering buying a CX and the following questions come to mind:

1.Are they reliable?
    I am looking to use the car as an everyday driver with the occasional trip up to the snow or down the coast.

2.Maintenance
    If I was to purchase a car which was in good to excellent condition are the maintenance costs likely to be high?

3.Transmission/Engine
    I notice that they come with a variety of transmissions ie auto,c-matic and manual and a variety of engines including a turbo.
    Which is the prefered setup?
    I don't mind changing gears and like a car with abit of zip for overtaking would a manual be the best?Are the auto boxes slow to change down?

4.What to pay for a good to excellent car?
    I notice the only CXs currently for sale are a couple of Gti 25 automatics for between $5k to $7k,one with a transmission problem, are those prices fairly indicative?

I'm currently driving a Renault Clio Sport, which I intend keeping, but was looking for an interesting car which had more room, four doors etc.

Advertisement

Default In my limited experience

CX s are now an indulgence their all getting on.
    I think the last Australian delivered cars (84-85) series 1 now 20 years old All series 2 are personal import ie english and even they are all at least 16 years old think XF falcon VN commode.
    so fore warned is fore armed
    Their big and thirsty compared to newer cars citroens and others
    and the c matic is just silly
    Their hot and australian cars have all suffered the ravages of solar decay
    Very complex and nasty to repair body if damage or rust is an issue
    But after all that their cheap and a very sexy car style drive and ride wise
    My advice buy the best late model manual car you can find with providance and you will get a lot more than you bargained for .
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yeah, they are a HOT car in summer.

Seriously though the aussie delivered cars are very good rust wise. If they are rusty they show it on the outside (unlike archrivals car that's rusty underneath due to road salt).

Mechanically there very tough, though the youngest is getting onto 30years old this does NOT mean they are unreliable. Like any old car it will usually have niggly issues they will require attention, however it's very unlikely anything major will go wrong.

Australian cars are quite hard to find with good interiors, they are usuallly cremated by the sun. All CX's have quite decent speed for a big heavy car being propelled by a small 4cylinder motor.

Expect 22-30mpg from most CX's, the automatics versions maybe less. The motor however is near indestrucable. The gearbox, I quite like the C-matic, the 4spd is ok if the synchro's are good, the 5spd is best as it's the strongest. It's very rare to have problems with 5spd CX's. The automatics are near bullet proof borg warners, keep the atf a redish colour and they'll probably outlive you.

My suggestion would be to buy the best possible car you can find and just do general upkeep on it.

Nothing rides and drives like a CX, you soon forgive it roasting you in summer and using lots of petrol ... 'Cos it's so nice to drive. It however doesn't use much more fuel than any large capacity 4cylinder from the 70's/80's.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron

Yeah, they are a HOT car in summer.

Seriously though the aussie delivered cars are very good rust wise. If they are rusty they show it on the outside (unlike archrivals car that's rusty underneath due to road salt).

Mechanically there very tough, though the youngest is getting onto 30years old this does NOT mean they are unreliable. Like any old car it will usually have niggly issues they will require attention, however it's very unlikely anything major will go wrong.

Australian cars are quite hard to find with good interiors, they are usuallly cremated by the sun. All CX's have quite decent speed for a big heavy car being propelled by a small 4cylinder motor.

Expect 22-30mpg from most CX's, the automatics versions maybe less. The motor however is near indestrucable. The gearbox, I quite like the C-matic, the 4spd is ok if the synchro's are good, the 5spd is best as it's the strongest. It's very rare to have problems with 5spd CX's. The automatics are near bullet proof borg warners, keep the atf a redish colour and they'll probably outlive you.

My suggestion would be to buy the best possible car you can find and just do general upkeep on it.

Nothing rides and drives like a CX, you soon forgive it roasting you in summer and using lots of petrol ... 'Cos it's so nice to drive. It however doesn't use much more fuel than any large capacity 4cylinder from the 70's/80's.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Good summary from my little but growing experience!! I've decided I really like the C-matic - it makes what wouldn't be much of a town car quite easy in traffic. Only grumbles are fuel consumption and interior heat really, and I'll happily put up with that for the character, style, ride, and so forth.

Heaven knows how many good ones are around - I was just lucky.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I owned several CXs; still own a couple needing a lot of restoring and I disagree also about the C-matic. Only someone whose never owned and driven one would refer to the C-matic idea of being "silly." I used to think that until I bought my last one and it was head and shoulders over any manual I ever owned.
    Better fuel consumption particularly on a trip, ripper to drive around town and tons of grunt for overtaking on the highway regardless of the speed of the car you were passing due to the advantage of having the torque converter without the aggro of the full auto.
    I'm in thetropics and yes, hot as the hobs of hell but a lot can be removed by careful and detailed insulating work, we proved that.
    Forget the idea they all think will cure it, namely air/con as it is impossible to get a properly operating efficient air/con in a CX short of spending heaps of money on it; not impossible but highly impractical.
    I drove my last one for over 30K klms for the cost of a repair to a small leak in the transmission cooler ($25), an electrovalve (busted by me; no fault of the car $100) a set of tyres and from memory, that was it.
    The car was used for commuting, shopping, collecting stock feed in 40kg bags, collecting firewood in a 2 ton trailer, pulling stumps, towing a 16foot half cabin cruiser and occasionally a 1000 klms round trip to Brisbane or the Gold Coast.
    To be able to use them like that you need to be a bit DIY savvy and to keep maintenance up to scratch. If you throw yourself onto the mercy of the trade, it can all turn to tears real easily if you happen to pick the wrong one.
    Shane and I are probably lucky that we do our own service and can catch things before they get too far, but having said that, there's a handful of guys on here who are learning fast.
    I'd say your set up with a back up car should be a safe way to journey into CX ownership and good luck with it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

As a owner of two road going and registered CX's here's my thoughts.
    I have a 5sp 2400 gti and 2400 cmatic carby model.. Much prefer the 5 speed and the fuel injection engine is great. The 2400 doesn't have much in the way of computers either in the engine to worry about. I find it more economical. The cmatic is a slug and being a wagon too, it takes it's time to get up to spped, especially if loaded with junk in the rear. Bit embarassing having Toyota Echo's and Ford Festiva's beating me at the lights.
    From my experience, the buggest bugbear is the rust problem. If it is too far gone , it becomes expensve to fix, as well as putting up with registration hassles each year. If the hydraulics work that's a big help, especially with no leaks. If you are prepared to do all the small repairs like the electrical gremlins that appear from time to time, basic servicing etc ,they are a great car. Interiors after 20-30 years won't be the best so don't expect a perfect interior.
    They do get hot inside and you can go crazy trying to get the a/c to work properly. This may or may not be a concern. Personally a/c is nice but I wouldn't put too much importance on it if it isn't installed or doesn't work. Drive with the windows down.
    Spare parts really aren't an issue either. The important bits anyway are available from Citroen wreckers here in Oz, or you can easily get bits and pieces from overseas using Ebay or contacting people in the UK, Europe.

From my experience then, in summary, try and get one that is mechanically okay, minimal rust and not too tatty in the interior. Ideally registered too. Certainly here in NSW it is such a hassle trying to get one of these CX's registered at the best of times. Like any car, if you are prepared to do a lot of maintenace yourself you can save heaps. Even after 20 years, they are still a head turning car in the street.
    It helps too if you have another car (preferably non Citroen!) as a back up car or second car so when the CX is off the road because it is having a hissy fit and doesn't want to be driven that day or week!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I owned several CXs; still own a couple needing a lot of restoring and I disagree also about the C-matic. Only someone whose never owned and driven one would refer to the C-matic idea of being "silly." I used to think that until I bought my last one and it was head and shoulders over any manual I ever owned.
    To be able to use them like that you need to be a bit DIY savvy and to keep maintenance up to scratch.
    I'd say your set up with a back up car should be a safe way to journey into CX ownership and good luck with it.

Alan S
    Alan, always accentuate the positive I say!!! Agree entirely as fine with a backup. I was having mine admired (yet again) just this afternoon. My AC is icy, but it probably fits your description of having had quite a lot of work done on it.

For a first buyer (like me) I'd walk away from anything but a really good one too. Mind you, that's good general advice.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

the full autos are ZF 3 speed - if you're used to driving modern auto boxes you'll be expecting another speed. Although generally reliable, I've heard the ZF boxes are an expensive fix, and I know of a few decent CXs that have languished because the ZF failed.

Quote Originally Posted by gembee
    As a owner of two road going and registered CX's here's my thoughts.
    I have a 5sp 2400 gti and 2400 cmatic carby model.. Much prefer the 5 speed and the fuel injection engine is great. The 2400 doesn't have much in the way of computers either in the engine to worry about. I find it more economical. The cmatic is a slug and being a wagon too, it takes it's time to get up to spped, especially if loaded with junk in the rear. Bit embarassing having Toyota Echo's and Ford Festiva's beating me at the lights.
    You need to tinker a little with the C-matic, certainly there no slug when setup correctly. Slow to about 10km/h (well you are starting in 2nd gear), from then on there quite rapid..... I'm not saying that because I own a C-matic and don't like them being called slow either (my other car is a CX2500 GTi Turbo) Yes in comparsion the C-matic is VERY SLOW, certainly once rolling it sould leave Echo's rolling in it's wake. Don't knock the cars like little 16valve Festiva's, to 60km/h they'll give most cars on the road a good run (including V8 commonbores) Certainly they'll possibly beat a CX2500 GTi in a traffic light drag... Those nippy little revvy hatches absolutley fly in 1st & 2nd gear.

Is your 2nd choke on the carby opening ??? I find my CX GTi Turbo is more fuel efficient than the C-matic and CX2400 5spd ever were.

Agree with everything you say ... Certainly find a non-rusty car, there should be lots of them still around.

I didn't realise there was so many of us insane people still driving them around

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

You need to tinker a little with the C-matic, certainly there no slug when setup correctly.
    I didn't realise there was so many of us insane people still driving them around

seeya,
    Shane L.
    No, THEY are insane. We know......
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

The best example of what a c-matic can do was when I was following my son to Brisbane and he was in his series one BX16V. He was supposedly my guide so I was tailing him particularly through the divided sections. I noticed he appeared to be 'playing' with a guy in an MR2 Toyota which turned out to be right because unbeknowns to me he knew him and also unbeknowns to me, the Toyota man was convinced his MR2 would outperform the sons GT-R let alone his 16V. We hit one divided set and this pair take off like startled rabbits having a go at each other and putting a few car lengths on me, but then the penny dropped with yours truly that if I let him get too far ahead I could have problems getting lost, so I floored it, caught them and pulled in behind just as we hit the end of the divided road.
    When we arrived at our destination I asked what the score was with the MR2 guy and was told that the 16V had no problems staying with him and both were still on the gas when he looked behind when I loomed up and he thought I was going to end up in his boot. He was dumbfounded at the performance at a bit of speed.
    I'm not going to pretend that they are fast off the mark, in fact for the first 20 metres or so a kid on a bike could beat most, but there is a knack to 'launching' them and one for the way you can change gears coupled to a few little tuning secrets that can make them as exciting a car to drive as any car you're likely to drive as the torque converter by its very nature will supply power on demand which makes driving it hard a very rewarding experience in any conditions.

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    No, THEY are insane. We know......
    Of course, some of us are more insane than others!
    I find CX's a hot car in summer, even here in England! I don't think the full Auto was imported into australia, so the ones you were looking at are english cars. the last 25GTi series 1 cars were manual, but this changed to a 3 speed ZF auto (i think 3HP18) on the series 2.
    There used to be a saying. Drive a CX for an hour, and you will never want to drive one again. Drive one for a week, and you will never want to drive anything else. I always find other cars inferior now!
    The seats are something else, go for a very long drive, and you feel like you've just gone down the street. This is where the cx really scrores...long distances.
    Good luck with your search! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

John,

I think you'll find that the 2200 came out here in a 4 speed manual, the 2400 as a 4 and c-matic followed by much later a 5 speed and c-matic, the Prestige were all full Autos and the 2500 mainly full autos and mainly in the iE not GTi version although a handful of GTis were imported.

Alan S

I will vouch for the fact that the 2200 came out as a manual as I have one. I also have an imported 2400 pallas that is a manual.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Ahh now, are you refering to the 2200 ohv, or ohc motor? Very different kettles of fish.
    john s

The 2200 OHC never came here in the CX apart from the ocasional private import.
    We went through two periods when absolutely no CXs at all were imported, this unfortunately was around the time when some really interesting stuff was around such as Turbos and turbo diesels which explains why we can tend to excitedly wet the knickers whenever they get discussed. (refer several postings from Shane)

Alan S

I can tell you, the 2200 OHC is a fine engine! It's quite economical too. I get about 30 mpg normal use, and that drops to about 20 mpg, if I have a caravan on tow. Top speed of these cars is about 115 mph.
    Electronic ignition too, for more reliability!
    john s

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    I can tell you, the 2200 OHC is a fine engine! It's quite economical too. I get about 30 mpg normal use, and that drops to about 20 mpg, if I have a caravan on tow. Top speed of these cars is about 115 mph.
    Electronic ignition too, for more reliability!
    john s
    We got those motors in Renault Fuegos and R25's. Not a bad motor, more fuel efficient and much lighter thant he 'Cit' motor, not a strong though (it's still one TOUGH motor though). My brother tried for years to destroy a Fuego motor, the more appalling it was treated, the better is seemed to go. What ended up killing it was not tightening the sump plug after an oil change and running the motor dry.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    Alan, always accentuate the positive I say!!! Agree entirely as fine with a backup. I was having mine admired (yet again) just this afternoon. My AC is icy, but it probably fits your description of having had quite a lot of work done on it.

For a first buyer (like me) I'd walk away from anything but a really good one too. Mind you, that's good general advice.

Cheers
    I once owned a new 1976 CX2200 Super here in Sydney. The air-condtioning even in 1976 was totally ineffective in the Australian heat - it was actually an Italian unit. What they would have known in the 70's about air-con is beyond me........

For a period of time, I owned a 78 c-matic Pallas over ten years....thirsty beast and was very busy on the highway considering is its low top gear.....3600 RPM at 100KM'h (? can't exactly remember). It did love to rev though.

I traded it in Ballarat (at Redan Motors) on the 505 gti. Although, much nicer driving poistion that the gti.

Absolutely correct about the aircon...wouldn't cool you in the Antartic!!

Incidenty 'Double Chevon', have you ever come across this vehicle up your way. Russell McKenzie (rally driver) was the guy that traded it at Redan Motors. It was a two tone silver and blue one in reasonasble nick, except for the drivers door trim. Wondered what became of it....

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

yeah I think I remember that car. Was it blue (he's had one or two up there). From memory I was wary of the car as it had been painted with stoneguard paint across the bottoms of the panels ... (stoneguard == hidden rust usually).

He had the car parked a couple of doors up from his yard for several years. He possibly has it (among a stack of other cars) parked home in his shed ... Or possibly he sold it (doubt it after sitting for so long). Hopefully it didn't go to the metal recyclers (I'm sure he'd ring me or my father before doing that).

He has mostly Jap imports there the last 4years or so (he must make a killing on them... I just wish I could figure out how they get them complianced !!).

I haven't been there for a while, I usually go in and stir him up asking where all the *proper cars* are. He is a real Poogoe fanatic though, there is *always* quite a few of them in his yard.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Hi Scott,

yeah I think I remember that car. Was it blue (he's had one or two up there). From memory I was wary of the car as it had been painted with stoneguard paint across the bottoms of the panels ... (stoneguard == hidden rust usually).

He had the car parked a couple of doors up from his yard for several years. He possibly has it (among a stack of other cars) parked home in his shed ... Or possibly he sold it (doubt it after sitting for so long). Hopefully it didn't go to the metal recyclers (I'm sure he'd ring me or my father before doing that).

He has mostly Jap imports there the last 4years or so (he must make a killing on them... I just wish I could figure out how they get them complianced !!).

I haven't been there for a while, I usually go in and stir him up asking where all the *proper cars* are. He is a real Poogoe fanatic though, there is *always* quite a few of them in his yard.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shane,

Thanks. It may have made it to Russell's home shed. It was a two tone silver and navy blue (ie Navy blue below the side strips.) I had the rust cut out of it.... bubbled below the rear doors, and resprayed with the same navy colour (ie still two tone silver and navy)...... but no stone guard paint.

It may still have 'John Auld' badge on the back of it. Had done about 180,000K at the time.

Cheers,

Scott

Hmm,

I think that must be it. The bit I remeber is the lower panels having 'textured' paint ... This is generally used where something is to be hidden

I certainly do hope he's got it somewhere. I'd hate to think it ended up being 'recycled'

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thanks Shane. If you are up at his shed again one day, it would be good to know if it is still 'alive' purely out of curiosity.

Regards,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott 505 gti
    For a period of time, I owned a 78 c-matic Pallas over ten years....thirsty beast and was very busy on the highway considering is its low top gear.....3600 RPM at 100KM'h (? can't exactly remember). It did love to rev though.
    3600 revs at 100kph!?
    My CX is happy to cruise fairly quietly at 2500 revs on 100kph. That increases up to 3000 revs if I need to keep it going over an incline.
    It is a thirsty car but no different to a modern V6 I suppose and will take on one from 80kph and over, I'm serious! It is a matter of a couple of seconds sometimes from 80 to 100 kph. When I want to get away quick from 60 kph I am revving high in 2nd, about 4000 by the time it gets to 80 but by then it's flat so I generally change to 3rd before it flattens out, aound 75 kph. In that situation it is possible to be cranking 3600 by the time I get to 100 in 3rd but not just cruising on the highway. BTW from standstill things can be painfully slow especially up steep hills.
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information