Ya wouldn't read about it; but yer about to.
  • Register
  • Help

Icon6 Ya wouldn't read about it; but yer about to.

One of the boys comes back from a drive in his TZi with half the guts of the cat hanging out of the tail pipe. Car running rough as guts, smoke everywhere smelling of petrol and complaining of fuel useage so great he can actually see the needle drop.
    I start it this morning and it gives a bit of a rattle but is running on 3 pots and smoking really badly; enough to indicate a stuffed piston, maybe a gasket, but definitely rings..............engine out, no doubt!! I am not impressed.
    Too busy to do anything so I suggest he gets the plugs out so we can do a compression test and get his brother to help. I see a bit of playing around under the bonnet and saunter over and ask what's happening and am told the compression seems OK on the dodgy pot. With that, the key is turned and liquid flies out... ..."water!!" ........stick finger in and smell; no petrol, enough to almost hydro lock it and listening closely, we reckon the pump is still going, so hit the starter again (coil disconnected of course) and sure enough, another heap flies out.
    Checked it out and suspect an injector is jammed open, so replace with another we had handy, start engine and the smoke screen was so bad we literally couldn't see the back end of the car as it went up the street; real mozzie chaser stuff, but a fast hike of around 30 klms under a bit of power and a few revs and back she comes clean as a whistle.
    Wonder what fairy tales some of our dodgies would have told and attached a how many hundreds of dollars worth of an invoicve to had we been in a position where we had to depend on one of those to doa diagnosis; after all, we had almost convinced ourslves it was major drama before we wet looking, so thought I'd post the experience so anyone else finding similar symptoms might want to do a self check before parting with their hard earned based on a fairy story.

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Allan a couple of similar stories. Customer comes into workshop.With overheating Mazda blowing bubbles in radiator then water erupting from radiator. Quick thinking service coordinator diagnoses blown head gasket and estimates $1800 fix. I'm going past & suggest thermostat. No, needs new head gasket says our man.Head comes off & gets skimmed, valve grind new head gasket etc. Its all back together and running and still boiling its brains out. I think this is what you need fellas say I handing them a new thermostat. Forty five minutes later car is running sweetly customer has forked over their $1800 when $100 would have done it.
    People on tour round Australia in their Fairlane.Aircon won't work. Each town they come to they try and get it fixed. Everytime the mechanic says easy fixed we'll regas the aircon. But they did that last time. Still car gets regassed 3 times and still doesn't work. 4th time mechanic stops & thinks about it. Aircon works when car is first started, soon as engine is at operating temp air con goes west, or does it. Air con is actually still working fine, so is the heater. Heater tap was jammed open, replaced tap & all is well.
    Moral of the story is accurate diagnosis.When we assume, we just make an ASS out of U and ME. Scary to think of the number of people out there who have been ripped off in these situations.
    Dom

Good thread Alan, veryu useful thoughts.

ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Good thread Alan, veryu useful thoughts.

ed ge
    Good thread indeed - back to "Dirty Wheels" even? I was initially a tad puzzled by the cat guts, but sorted it out. Must have been a hard day....

Thanks Alan and Dom.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Ah! Dirty Wheels. Required reading for a petrol head growing up with Wheels magazine. So was George Ambrose a real person or a pseudonym?

Whichever it is, he provided me with some of my inspiration for the writings I do for car club magazines, and the Mini Experience magazine.

Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy
    Ah! Dirty Wheels. Required reading for a petrol head growing up with Wheels magazine. So was George Ambrose a real person or a pseudonym?

Whichever it is, he provided me with some of my inspiration for the writings I do for car club magazines, and the Mini Experience magazine.

Pottsy.
    I wondered too. It was a great selection of useful tales, was it not? Alan's fuel injector story was right up there, I thought.

Cheers

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Its so sad 'Dirty Wheels' has gone

If Ewen Page (editor who ended the segment, unless Ambrose retired willingly?) were a horse, they'd take him out back and shoot him.

FWIW, got a quote on a Universal full flow Cat for this car today; $240 fitted.
    Thought I'd post as I've seen some ridiculous prices quoted in times gone by.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    I was initially a tad puzzled by the cat guts...JohnW
    John, It's only Pugrambo that puts strange things through his engine...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

I wonder how many carbies get rebuilt when all that's needed is a condensor

like, "she's running rough mate! Get that carbie overhauled eh?"

Thread Information