ID has a bath
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: ID has a bath

Icon8 ID has a bath

I had to drive home from work this evening through a torrential downpour/apocalyptic electrical storm. Traffic was going VERY slowly, and visibility was pretty minimal. A lot of cars were pulled over, scared or unable to proceed. Maybe I shoulda followed their lead. I came to a dip in the road with a lot of cars gathered together in the left lane. It soon became apparent why(albeit too late). At about 50km, my ID ploughed into a pool of water about 10m long, and (i'm guessing) a little over 2 foot deep. I had a flashing vision of getting stuck in it, miraculously I had enough momentum to come out the other side. Then I dropped it to 2nd and managed to climb up the rise on the other side. Then managed to travel the next 20km home without a hiccup from the engine. That was the good part. After ducking in to tell the missus about my perilous journey home, I popped back out to the garage to check on the state of my pride and joy. The whole front floor, and a good part of the back was covered in water. About 2cm deep in the front. I pulled out the mats(one of which has now gone to it's eternal rest). Spent a long time mopping out the front, and did my best to soak up the aqua in the rear. The floor mat at back is bolted under the seatbelt anchorpoint, so I can't do too much about it right now. Have propped up the mat, dried everything out as best as I can, and left my Cit in the garage with the doors open. Hoping mother nature will give me a break and provide some warm weather(it's rained here for the best part of two weeks). Any tips on further measures I should take - apart from not pretending to be in the Redex trials again.

regards,
    keith

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You have a height control lever .... Next time I suggest USE IT

Seriously though your lucky moisture didn't get to the fan blades, they'll drown the your high tension quickly and fill the plugs holes if you dumb like me and don't have the covers firmly in them

I wouldn't be to worried as long as you dry her out. You wouldn't want to do that to often though, all the box sections on a DS are unpainted and unprotected on the inside Maybe we could arrange an oil bath to drive through in the same way so we can 'oil' the insides of all the box members that will allow moisture in

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

as with all mechanical/electronics that get wet, the best thing is to leave it in the sun/air to dry out, making sure you do not use it or switch it on until it is absolutely dry....water will evaporate eventually, and the only damage should be a bit of rust..(most of the car should be rustproof anyway)
    C4 Exclusive 2.0l Blanc Banquise

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

haven't they got bungs in the floor you can pop out to drain the water out ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Default Rustproof / bungs in the floor?

It's a 45 year old car, totally bereft of anything as advanced as a bung(?). As for the rust thing, it's the great achilles heel of D-series cars. As Shane mentions in his post, these little beauties are almost completely devoid of rust-proofing aid.

regards,
    Keith

Default Rubber bungs

Quote Originally Posted by O'Murchu
    It's a 45 year old car, totally bereft of anything as advanced as a bung(?). As for the rust thing, it's the great achilles heel of D-series cars. As Shane mentions in his post, these little beauties are almost completely devoid of rust-proofing aid.

regards,
    Keith
    Hi Keith,

I'd be surprised if there were not two of these 'bungs' under the height - corrector rod adjustment cover (water trap area) at the back of the boot. Might get a shower if you pop them! Can access these from under the car also but I hate getting underneath unless I have to (scarey factor).
    Best wishes,

Tim

Default Well I woulda

The bulk of the water was in the front - so I had to remove it the old fashioned way. Time consuming(to say the least), and unsure of whether I got every last drop of moisture, owing to all the nooks etc. Also spent an eternity giving it the onceover with a hairdryer. Was hoping to get some advice as to the best way to coat/protect the front floor. Denton at European said it was best to lay on some ceramic paint. Anyone out there beg to differ?.

regards,
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    You have a height control lever .... Next time I suggest USE IT

Seriously though your lucky moisture didn't get to the fan blades, they'll drown the your high tension quickly and fill the plugs holes if you dumb like me and don't have the covers firmly in them

I wouldn't be to worried as long as you dry her out. You wouldn't want to do that to often though, all the box sections on a DS are unpainted and unprotected on the inside Maybe we could arrange an oil bath to drive through in the same way so we can 'oil' the insides of all the box members that will allow moisture in

seeya,
    Shane L.

One fine moment in my id was in 1985 passing through Station Street in Fairfield, Melb. - an area that floods periodically. The road was under water with many cars pulled to the side with wet motors etc. I simply stretched over (lever on left!) , rose to full height and glided over the water. Mystified commodore and camry drivers could only stare in amazement. I'll never forget that. Suppose I've had a few similar experiences since. Not sure why I responded quickly, hadn't owned the car all that long then & maybe it was the chance to try out the suspension on full!

Best regards,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon
    One fine moment in my id was in 1985 passing through Station Street in Fairfield, Melb. - an area that floods periodically. The road was under water with many cars pulled to the side with wet motors etc. I simply stretched over (lever on left!) , rose to full height and glided over the water. Mystified commodore and camry drivers could only stare in amazement. I'll never forget that. Suppose I've had a few similar experiences since. Not sure why I responded quickly, hadn't owned the car all that long then & maybe it was the chance to try out the suspension on full!

Best regards,

Tim
    <chuckle>

Reminds me of the time I killed a turbodiesel Fiat Punto (no great loss) going through a ford (small f, but one with a big F wouldn't have been any great loss either...) out in the 'wilds' of Staffordshire.

Did the same crossing in the XM last week. Water level even higher - suspension up - no problem!
    ...and this, from one who runs a 12 year old XM as his 'sensible' car...

Thread Information