Hydraulic rumours.
  • Register
  • Help

Icon12 Hydraulic rumours.

The latest rumour going around in relation to a revival of the hydraulic Citroens may be interesting.
    I had heard that the system was basically given the death knell via an EEC resolution, but as France was one of the first to give the EEC the thumbs down as regards the proposed constitution, it seems Citroen are making hay whilst the sun shines.
    Here is what I spotted on an overseas forum this morning; here's hoping it's correct.

After talking to citroens today i was informed that there are plans afoot to relaunch the hydraulic system in all its glory on the new cars but could not give to much info but that this would open up a whole new source of new parts as they would basically use the known good systems they already have blueprints for which would also keep costs down. Very Happy This also go in hand with the new C6 which is only a taster of whats to come apparently.

Alan S.

Please note:- This post is being made as a matter of interest to Citroen owners and is not here as the basis for another ****ing Political debate which includes the pros and cons of the EEC. If that crap starts, I'll delete it!

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan

Firstly I assume we're talking about the Hydropneumatic suspension with asssociated braking and steering a la DS, CX et al?

If that's the case, then bravo for Citroen to continue. In this day of more complex electronic controls, there's a definite argument for systems that are autonomous and independent of power supplies. I shudder to think what an electronic dependent car will do if the battery strap fails completely and somehow takes out the alternator at the same time (hypothetical I know, but Murphy Lives!). In a car such as the C4 this would surely be dramatic. Sure the car will stop, but I reckon the stationary phase will be preceded by some extreme excitement!

The hydraulic system of the classic Citroens comes under the heading of Classic Simplicity to me. In other words, if it ain't broke, why fix it (Even with a bigger shifter!). They had perfected it by the end of the 1960's and it still works efficiently, reliably and safely. Why else do aircraft use independently powered and stored hydraulic systems as failsafes?

Sure, I'm biased towards it, but for sound engineering design reasons, not just nostalgia.

If I could buy a new car with a hydropneumatic system that was independent of electronics, I'd be seriously looking at it now! (Hydractive is attractive, but has micro controllers, plus it's out of my affordable range)

And bear in mind that I'm an electronic technician (of the old analogue school admittedly) by training and profession, so I'm not scared of such systems, merely keen to Keep It Simple.

At the risk of incurring your wrath, why are the EEC against it? I haven't heard of any debate or animosity towards such well designed sytems.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Last edited by pottsy; 29th October 2005 at 01:23 PM.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

It had something to do with environmental issues. The reason I don't want to go there is that some are so impractical and badly thought out that it would start a riot. (as an example) Only allowed to catch 1 tonne of fish, so catch 10 tonne, dump 9 and that's conservation according to them.
    This was apparently why they moved to the C5 style of system and used different fluids; I have read it all but can't remember the detail apart from the constant reference back to their regulations being the catalyst to it all.
    People overseas are now hoping that as sanity seems to have returned and innovation may again get a run, that perhaps these pics of new age DS that have been floating around for a while may now stand a chance of becoming reality.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

It was me who originally posted on the UK BXClub site and i am very interested to see if what citroen say is true the citroen system is also now used on some buses over here to raise and lower the buses to allow wheelchair and pushchairs on although there system is air operated it is basically a citroen system and its birth was brought about by early citroen`s .

Thread Information