Buying an XM
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Buying an XM

Tadpole

Icon6 Buying an XM

I'm thinking of buying an 1997 XM from South Yarra Motors. IT appears to be in really good condition. Any suggestions on who could check it out for me?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle Dog
    I'm thinking of buying an 1997 XM from South Yarra Motors. IT appears to be in really good condition. Any suggestions on who could check it out for me?
    Cattle Dog,

If that's the 24-valve silver car advertised recently, it looks good on paper.

Suggest talking to Elliot at the French Garage (see Dutronc's thread for the contact details) or The French Connection at Airport West (although it's the wrong side of town).

Suggest not approaching Paris Motors.

Cheers,

Greg
    1992 Citroen XM 2.0i Prestige 1989 Peugeot 205 GTI S2 (Little Red Car for sale) 1998 Volvo V70R AWD (Big Red Car)

Tadpole

Thanks for your reply Greg. Yes it is the 24 valve model. I'll take your advice and try Elliot at the French Garage.

That is a beautiful looking xm!!!
    One day she will be MINE (well, maybe one like it)
    As previously mentioned they are my dream car, and I would love to own one in the not-too-distant-future. She looks in great condition, certainly better than the one at Peter Wrights which has sat there for a while and is STILL missing the front lefthand indicator glass
    As Greg suggested, Elliot would be the man to call about an inspection. He can run a full diagnostic scan for you as well as check over everything else to see what shape it's in. He will be up front and honest (which is what you want spending that kind of money), and maybe arm you with some info you can then use to beat them down in price!!

Give him a call and tell us how you get on.
    Good luck !

The French Garage
    112 Keys Road Moorabbin
    9555 4248 (ask for Elliot)

XM's...... beautiful car, but it's amazing how much they depreciated. Nevertheless, i don't know what justified their RRP of $85,000.....
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Tadpole

Thanks for all your replies. I'll keep you posted as I get closer to a decision.
    It certainly seemed in really good condition to me - even the tyres are in good nick.

Mike

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    XM's...... beautiful car, but it's amazing how much they depreciated. Nevertheless, i don't know what justified their RRP of $85,000.....
    Coming from a person who (used) to own a Jag and spent $14 000 on tyres and wheels alone for it, that is a bit rich!

I would suspect that you have never been for a serious ride in an XM or looked at what it offered as a complete package in comparison to the market at the time.

Of course I can't complain about depreciation because our XM cost nowhere near the RRP when we bought it five years ago.

Let's face it, nearly all cars have dramatic depreciation these days. One of my staff bought an 18mth old lowish km Calais late last year for $22k. Not bad for a car that sold for over $50k

Cattle Dog - good luck with the inspection on the car. If it is OK the car will spoil you.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Coming from a person who (used) to own a Jag and spent $14 000 on tyres and wheels alone for it, that is a bit rich!

I would suspect that you have never been for a serious ride in an XM or looked at what it offered as a complete package in comparison to the market at the time.

Of course I can't complain about depreciation because our XM cost nowhere near the RRP when we bought it five years ago.

Let's face it, nearly all cars have dramatic depreciation these days. One of my staff bought an 18mth old lowish km Calais late last year for $22k. Not bad for a car that sold for over $50k

Cattle Dog - good luck with the inspection on the car. If it is OK the car will spoil you.
    hehe. The Jag still exists, it's just not worthy enough of a place in my signature with the Cits

True, true... i wasn't really thinking about that time frame, but still 85k is a hectic amount, for any Citroen, considering the perceived status of Citroen by the average Joe.

It just hurts to see so many XM's advertised in the U.K as "Free to any good home or a measely 500 pounds".

Let's just hope, the C6 doesn't depreciate in similar fashion to the XM...
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Tadpole

Let's just hope, the C6 doesn't depreciate in similar fashion to the XM...
    I hope it does, I really want a C6 and hope I will be able to pick up a good second hand one in a few years at a reasonable price similar to what I did with my C5.

Yes, but it's a very well appointed vehicle - the new car market is so hot everything's depreciating at unprecedented rates - our Volvo V70R AWD just nudged $100K on the road when new in '98. Now we'd be lucky to get $20K for it. XM has greater beauty and far better ride and dynamics (but not close to the the build quality). I think the 24 valve was quite swift, for a frog.

Much better buy than the similarly priced Series 1 car at Peter Wright's.

I reckon you'll be able to pick up a C6 in the $20Ks in around five years, unless they sell very few and sheer scarcity keeps the resale up, as seemed to happen with the XM for some time.
    1992 Citroen XM 2.0i Prestige 1989 Peugeot 205 GTI S2 (Little Red Car for sale) 1998 Volvo V70R AWD (Big Red Car)

Things to check for:

* A/C working (scary prices on the compressor for the V6)
    * make sure the hydractive is working (can feel a diff between sport and soft)
    * the dot matrix won't work- so use this to bargain
    * front suspension- struts not leaking?, rubbers OK?
    * heated seats? (do they work?)
    * all the spheres ok?, the centre ones get forgotten on XM's
    * I think some of the V6's had problems with cooling pipes corroding

Ride should be almost like a CX but with modern cornering. My only advice is that if you don't want to buy it then don't take it for a test drive- you will be seduced.

regards
    sean

UFO

Aus spec cars do not have heated seats, only fancy shmancy private imports have heated seats
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Thanks for your advice Sean. I hope to take it to Elliot at French Garage later next week. I'll post my thoughts and a brief report from Elliot.

Regards,

Mike

My (limited) XM experiance is that they all seem to have similar problems, and there are lots of people who can help you.

Another thing I just thought of to check is the one touch windows. and the digital climate control.... Cruise Control seems to fail often.

regards
    sean

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by sdabel
    My (limited) XM experiance is that they all seem to have similar problems, and there are lots of people who can help you.

Another thing I just thought of to check is the one touch windows. and the digital climate control.... Cruise Control seems to fail often.

regards
    sean
    Great forum for the XM
    >>> http://club-xm.com/forum2/index.php?act=idx <<<

...by the way my '91 has perfect dot matrix displays, cruise, window and seat switches, etc. The Aussie cars have faired far better than the UK imports. Most of these electrical gremlins will be traced to faulty earths, the only recurring problem I have is a false brake light warning - when I can be bothered I clean the brake light terminals and all is good for about 3 months.

As far as dollars spent on maintainence the XM has been ultra reliable for me, regular servicing of fluids and a few minor mechanical jobs in nearly five years of ownership. Testament to this is that my 18 year old son with zero mechanical aptitude has been driving it daily for the last 10 months without a a hic-cup.

A well serviced '97 24valve would be a very nice car indeed, at the asking price excellent value - alot of car for the money, who knows with a bit of haggling you may do better

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole

Thanks for the extra info Sean and Chris. I'm looking foward to having a drive as it will be my first in a citroen. My last ride was in a CX many years ago.

Regards,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    my 18 year old son
    Chris, you don't look old enough to have an 18yr old son.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Chris, you don't look old enough to have an 18yr old son.
    I'd like say I got him second hand, but no he's all mine god love 'im - by the way you just earned yourself a free AF shirt

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I'd like say I got him second hand, but no he's all mine god love 'im - by the way you just earned yourself a free AF shirt

Cheers
    Chris
    Wow, thanks for that Chris. My size is XL, let me know when I can collect it and I'll organise a time.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by sdabel
    ...and if it's a private import, check the condition of the front strut top mounts (just under the front strut spheres). Make sure there's no corrosion in the metal under the rubber - very expensive to have repaired, although there are some workarounds.

Cheers,

Greg

...you just earned yourself a free AF shirt...
    There are AussieFrogs T-shirts?! How much to the UK for a couple in XXL 'fat bastard' size?
    ...and this, from one who runs a 12 year old XM as his 'sensible' car...

Thread Information