Removing DS steering lock
  • Register
  • Help

Default Removing DS steering lock

There comes a time in the progression of life when something that mankind has done, needs to be undone.
    Such is the case with my steering lock. A careful examination has revealed that Mr Citroen in his Infinite Wisdom used anti-theft nuts on these gadgets. Since it's exptremely unlikely in this day and age that any lowlife thief would have the good taste to steal Moby Dick, I'm planning on removing this thing and substituting a normal ignition switch.

Of course, a special tool is required, or else if you're feeling butcherous, a drill can be employed to good effect.

I've decided to have a go at doing this with a home made version of the Official Tool. (Pictures below, along with the diagram of the Official Tool)

I'm curious to hear what other solutions my fellow Citroenians have arrived at over many years of DS ownership.

The Ball is in your court, chaps & chappettes!

(I won't have the opportunity to try it for a few days, but I'll keep you informed as to success or failure!)

Pottsy

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing DS steering lock-ds-steering-lock-tool-small.jpg   Removing DS steering lock-home-made-tool-1-small.jpg   Removing DS steering lock-home-made-tool-3-small.jpg   Removing DS steering lock-home-made-tool-2-small.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

Looks like a good bit of kit well made etc

Cooch

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You lucky bugger ... Those dome headed bolts hey ... CX's use them to. I just chisel them in the "unscrew" direction with a razor sharp small screwdriver. I then just replace them with normal bolts After all who is going to steal a CX or DS

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Aha! Miss Imbruglia. Did you know she had a Mini as her first car?

She can pinch your CX any time she likes, but I have to say she's not driving Moby Dick without my direct supervision!

The sharp screwdriver option is Plan B after trying this tool. Plan C is the (Officially sanctioned in the Manual!) 7.5 mm drill up its spout.

Given that it's really hard to even see where these mongrel nuts are, getting a drill in there is not my preferred option!

I'm just amazed that they went to the trouble of using the theft proof nuts in the first place. By the time any would be tealeaf had exposed enough of the dashboard to unbolt the thing, the next service would have rolled around and the Garage bloke would have lumbered him!

Can't wait to give it a try now, but Life is too busy to play with the big toy at the moment.

Pottsy.

PS, Cooch, it's just a bit of M10 all-thread with a 6mm hole drilled in the end and tapped M7x1mm. The sleeve is a drilled out and cut off blind nut (used on pine poles in playgrounds) with a couple of grooves filed into the business end to hopefully grip on the taper. Nothing special, but even if it doesn't work, I'm still proud of it!
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

I just used a centre punch in the unscrew position, easily done.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by arunine
    I just used a centre punch in the unscrew position, easily done.
    Well Potsy I tend to agree with arunine, It's a lovely tool buttt..... the simple things in life huh?

The diffs stoped whining for this evening.

cooch

Thread Information