No Oil Pressure
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: No Oil Pressure

Tadpole

Default No Oil Pressure

hi
    i'm new to citroens and i'm new to forums, so excuse any mistakes..
    have just bought a CX2200 that has been stored for 10 years and seems in pretty good general condition.
    motor runs well and quiet but the oil warning lamp stays on (don't freak out, i trailered it home).
    as most of the lamps and lights seemed to flashing to some unheard beat, i assumed that it was probably some electrical malfunction. but no luck, i've tested the oil pressure switch and the circuit and all is ok.
    so i am assuming that it is probably the by-pass valve at the oil pump.
    is this known for sticking and if so, is it difficult to fix ???

Advertisement

Stick a gauge in place of the light switch to check if the pressure is there and in most cases you'll find it's just the sender unit that's stuffed they just simply short out.
    Don't waste money at the local dealer, just pop into Repco and buy a standard switch for $10 or so and that is the same as the one that the Cit dealer will arrange a trip to the local surgeon to amputate the arm and leg to pay for.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Stick a gauge in place of the light switch to check if the pressure is there and in most cases you'll find it's just the sender unit that's stuffed they just simply short out.
    Don't waste money at the local dealer, just pop into Repco and buy a standard switch for $10 or so and that is the same as the one that the Cit dealer will arrange a trip to the local surgeon to amputate the arm and leg to pay for.

Alan S
    yes, but i've tested the pressure switch electrically and mechanically and it seems to work ok !
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by brillig
    yes, but i've tested the pressure switch electrically and mechanically and it seems to work ok !
    steve
    Be that as it may, do an actual physical test and see the oil pressure for yourself before embarking on a major pull down. Wouldn't you ever look a goose if you haul an engine out and then discover it's only the sender? You wouldn't be the first.
    I'm afraid I've spent too many years getting my fingers burnt on what was theoretically OK only to find in reality this was not the case. In racing circles it's an unforgiveable sin making those kinds of decisions.
    It's your call, but I wouldn't go any further without positive proof of lack of pressure.

Alan S

I remember once when I did up a CX engine that I put the overpressure relief valve in the oil pump back together incorrectly and ended up with very large amount of oil pressure - after I changed from running in oil to normal oil, it used to blow out the oil seal around the oil filter!

But I managed to fix it by just taking off the bottom cover of the sump. You can lever out the metal folds that hold the mesh in place, take the mesh out and then unscrew the oil pressure regulator valve.

At least this would be worth a try before you take the engine out.

Ken W

Tadpole

Default Learning Every Day

dear alan

well i had checked out the electrical circuit and had conected the wires to it and shoved a rod down the hole and it appeared to work fine but after reading your note, i have just conected a meter to the wires and connected a compressor to the unit and pumped it up to 100 psi and guess what ?
    nothing !
    thanks for that, much appreciated.
    signet

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Tell you what .... It's a CX motor, if you find it's got no oil pressure ... I'll GIVE you another motor... Really you can't kill 'em ... Bloody near indestructable they are. I have two good CX2200 motors sitting in cars that I'll never do anything with.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

thanks guys

bought an $8.50 camira pressure switch from bursons and problem fixed.

but was bloody difficult to tighten it up !

anyhow problem solved, going for the road worthy and reregistration this week.

regards

steve (signet)

Steve,

If you get the car up on ramps, (a must for every hydraulic Cit owner) and slide in under behind the front crossmember and shine a torch right up towards the engine in the gap between the crossmember and the body, you'll see a gap big enough to squeeze one arm if not two through. Looking into it you'll be able to see the oil filter (this is where you get access to it) as well as the oil pressure switch. Grab a 21mm plug spanner and a few extension bars and fit the socket/plug spanner to the end. Pull the wire off the switch, sit the plug spanner on it and tighten..........finished as soon as the wire goes back on.
    If as most do, you have problems getting the big heavy brute up on the ramps, use this tip that works every time;

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/snippets/ramp.htm

If no old seat belt webbing handy, just grab an old rag such as a greasy throwaway pair of jeans or slacks and use that on each side in place of the webbing. I often do that and it is quite effective.

Alan S

Thread Information