C3 problem - whistling sound
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 C3 problem - whistling sound

have a new C3. It gives a whistling sound after 50kph. I take my foot off gas pedal and it disappears. PUt it back on gas pedal and starts again. Anyone else had this problem? Citroen guy who went for a test drive said this is normal???

Advertisement

Well, I have a C3, and mine doesn't whistle, even at unmentionable speeds, with or without the sunroof open. Obviously, if you're doing 100 km/h, the sunroof open will make a wooooshing sound, but under 60 km/h it's not much different to having it closed.

Is the whistle when you are doing a certain speed, or is related to engine activity?

If it's a certain speed, I'd recommend looking at the roof rails, the sunroof opening, and around the mirrors for anything which is not flush or has an opening facing the direction of the airflow.

My roof rails need to be pushed back in from time to time. Look under the bonnet - you might have a bag or something near the radiator opening causing the noise.

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

I am getting the same whistling sound around 70+km/h.... (when you put your foot on the petrol...)

Probably nothing major, i'll get it checked at my 20,000kms service..

I'll try and record it with my MP3 Player...
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Herbie,
    My automatic c3 also doesnt make any of these noises mate. I have got roof racks on my car they make some noise but that is not unusual. Good luck with it. (aircon makes loads of noises though) maybe thats it????

Tadpole

I don't have a sunroof (C3 Exclusive Limited Edition) It starts whistling at about 50kph and doesn't stop so long as your foot is on the gas pedal.
    Thanks for letting me know yours doesn't whistle. I'll certainly let the service person know that. A friend actually also told me that it may be a leak in the gas hose or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj
    Well, I have a C3, and mine doesn't whistle, even at unmentionable speeds, with or without the sunroof open. Obviously, if you're doing 100 km/h, the sunroof open will make a wooooshing sound, but under 60 km/h it's not much different to having it closed.

Is the whistle when you are doing a certain speed, or is related to engine activity?

If it's a certain speed, I'd recommend looking at the roof rails, the sunroof opening, and around the mirrors for anything which is not flush or has an opening facing the direction of the airflow.

My roof rails need to be pushed back in from time to time. Look under the bonnet - you might have a bag or something near the radiator opening causing the noise.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by HERBIE
    have a new C3. It gives a whistling sound after 50kph. I take my foot off gas pedal and it disappears. PUt it back on gas pedal and starts again. Anyone else had this problem? Citroen guy who went for a test drive said this is normal???
    Had this whistling sound too on my Xsara at speeds above 60kph and only when foot is on the pedal. It was annoying. It went on for 3 days then suddenly cured itself. 8 months now and it has not returned.

Tadpole

Icon7 whistleing c3

Quote Originally Posted by HERBIE
    I had the same problem driving to S A changed the air filter and that fixed the problem, the orignal looked quite clean,10thousand kays later it is still ok
    penny-wise.

Thread Information