CX petrol smell advice sought
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX petrol smell advice sought

Well, I continue to be delighted with the CX.

Nagging, minor matter is the intermittent petrol smell, and I don't have other experience with CXs to guide me.

Leaving aside the potential for smells at the fuel tank end with pipes and suchlike, do these cars smell under the bonnet much? I've glued soft foam to the underbonnet to seal the air inlet (well, apology for an air inlet, given its brilliant location in a low pressure area) better but every now and again, it's there. If I lift the bonnet, I don't get petrol smells (maybe they exit to the cabin preferentially!).

Ideas welcome. No obvious leaks, to show I've followed my own advice, and it's a carburettor car.

Thanks.

Johnw

Advertisement

Hi John
    I have also at times noticed the occasional petrol smell and this has been difficult to trace as it occurs mostly when going up hills under heavy acceleration, but sometimes downhill as well!? More often it seems like rich exhaust fumes finding their way into the cabin, but other times it's definantly a raw petrol smell that has me winding the window down for fresh air.
    I have since found a tube running directly from the upper firewall close to the windscreen washer reservoir. It runs out alongside some tapered wiring and I am guessing it would usually go to a charcoal canister which mine doesn't have anymore. I plugged it up using some chewing gum - that is all I had at the time. There is definantly fuel vapour pressure there as the gum has managed to pop out partially under obvious signs of pressure.
    I think plugging the tube has helped though I suggest something better than spearmint extra to plug it up with . There seems to be a lot of fuel components in close proximity to the ventilation inlet, and in my CX there isn't such a great seal around the inlet due to the foam having compressed (easily fixed I imagine).
    I am planning to replace some hosing and clips in the engine bay soon, with special attention to the badly perished fuel lines that are associated with the carby....Not to worry, I have a fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell if anything catches fire.
    Have you heard of "vapour lock" occuring in the fuel system? I wonder (with your CX and mine) if we both just need to clear the main line from the fuel tank!? The fact is that this line runs under the cabin and I suspect any blockage or leak could cause vapours to drift up to the cabin (partly educated guess). I am wanting to clean the filter situated near the tank and even drain the tank itself to clean out any water and sediment that may be there, in fact every time I read Ian Hill's post-purchase guide to the CX (from Victorian Cit Club site) it makes more sense and there is always something I have overlooked. Worth sticking on your wall!
    Good luck with it all and let me know how you go with it as it will no doubt be helpful. Regards, Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy N
    Hi John
    every time I read Ian Hill's post-purchase guide to the CX (from Victorian Cit Club site) it makes more sense and there is always something I have overlooked. Worth sticking on your wall!
    Good luck with it all and let me know how you go with it as it will no doubt be helpful. Regards, Andy
    Thanks Andy - I didn't know of Ian's guide but have just found it!! More to follow.

Cheers

JohnW

I have a fairly constant petrol smell in both CX's. I tend to feel that it is to do with the petrol fume inlet into the cabin often jokingly referred to as the fresh air inlet. Certainly detracts from the drive.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    I have a fairly constant petrol smell in both CX's. I tend to feel that it is to do with the petrol fume inlet into the cabin often jokingly referred to as the fresh air inlet. Certainly detracts from the drive.
    Guys,

Is it particularly noticeable after negotiating a few bends? I have this problem, and only with the tank more than half full. There is an known issue with the filler neck developing a crack. Petrol splashes up in the neck and escapes through the crack.

Regards
    Andrew

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Guys,

yeah I noticed mine was wiffy today too. I'm know it slops over around corners when the tank is full, however with the front windows down only it also smelt.

In my case it will definaly be fumes drawn forward from the boot. If you wind the windows up it doesn't smell as the cabin is very slightly pressurised pushing the air through the car, as soon as you wind the windows down the fumes come foward.

I haven't yet checked this car for the cracked filler, I will need to do that soon and check all the breather pipes for the fuel tank (they stupidly put the fumes tank in the cars boot ). I never did solve the petrol smell in my previous CX so I haven't been rushed to look at this (something as simple as a new fuel cap may even fix it .... after all it does slop over aorund corners).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 17th October 2005 at 11:29 AM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

My 22TRS smells of fuel when going round right hand corners. I'm thinking it might be a carb problem, but so far, I haven't bothered to check. john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

I noticed the other day that mine has started smelling of petrol going round right hand bends , but it has also a couple of times flooded as well, like starting it up, going 30 metres to the corner, car splutters, stalls, try to start, it is flooded, eventually starts and smells of petrol, then all is well.
    I suspect the carby needs a look at at, possibly float level, needle and seat.

Terry

Fellow Frogger!

I have noticed my CX smelling of petrol at times and it seems to be more prevalent in the back seat and mostly going around corners as well and with $30 or so in the tank. I have also had the stalling thing especialy after a trip the thing just up and dies, wind it over for a while and just when your about to give up and call NRMA it starts and is obviously carby.

The results of this thread will be interestin to a fair few people I imagine

Hoo roo
    Cooch

You guys all sound like petrol is just overflowing past the cap around corners. If the windows are down the petrol smell comes straight foward quite strongly

I'm going to pull the plastic bit out of mine and get that cap sealing. It's most likely one of 3things:

--The plastic bit you stick the fuel bowser filler in is cracked (someone has leant there weight againt it while filling the car).
    --The metal ring the cap secures to isn't stuck in well allowing petrol to get past it.
    --The cap itself isn't sealing an allowing fuel past it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    You guys all sound like petrol is just overflowing past the cap around corners. If the windows are down the petrol smell comes straight foward quite strongly

I'm going to pull the plastic bit out of mine and get that cap sealing. It's most likely one of 3things:

--The plastic bit you stick the fuel bowser filler in is cracked (someone has leant there weight againt it while filling the car).
    --The metal ring the cap secures to isn't stuck in well allowing petrol to get past it.
    --The cap itself isn't sealing an allowing fuel past it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yeah I recon its somthing like that. When the smell of $$$s was first detected the thirst thing I did was look and see if any fuel was running down the side of the car. Nooo, further investigation needed, I'll have to check my metal ring and plastic filler all though it doesn't look to bad down the hole. is there a tank breather tube that could be perrished?

Cooch

Quote Originally Posted by Cooch Goodwin
    Yeah I recon its somthing like that. When the smell of $$$s was first detected the thirst thing I did was look and see if any fuel was running down the side of the car. Nooo, further investigation needed, I'll have to check my metal ring and plastic filler all though it doesn't look to bad down the hole. is there a tank breather tube that could be perrished?

Cooch
    The tank breather is mounted on the right side wall of the boot (yeah I know, dumb place for it). You will need to check the hoses to this. Yes the foam seal between the bonnet and ventilation tower is VERY important.

Also ensure the engine breather hoses aren't broken up. I've driven a CX with the breather hose broken and the foam gone from the bonnet .... NOT NICE The engine fumes blow straight up into the ventilation tower.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Hi
    That tube I was talking about earlier(the one plugged up with chewing gum I have since plugged up with a screw). It definantly blows fuel vapours from the tank into the engine bay under pressure. When I went to fill the tank yesterday there was some kind of vacuum created by plugging that tube. As I took the cap off air sucked into the tank and the tank must have expanded causing it to pop. I wonder if the tube was left open for a reason? Does anyone else have this tube coming from the drivers side firewall in their CX? Would it be better to fit some kind of charcoal canister so the tube can still breathe? John must be scratching his head over this one...tell us how you're going and if you've found anything.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy N
    Hi
    That tube I was talking about earlier(the one plugged up with chewing gum I have since plugged up with a screw). It definantly blows fuel vapours from the tank into the engine bay under pressure. When I went to fill the tank yesterday there was some kind of vacuum created by plugging that tube. As I took the cap off air sucked into the tank and the tank must have expanded causing it to pop. I wonder if the tube was left open for a reason? Does anyone else have this tube coming from the drivers side firewall in their CX? Would it be better to fit some kind of charcoal canister so the tube can still breathe? John must be scratching his head over this one...tell us how you're going and if you've found anything.
    Andy
    Being a typical geologist, I've been away (still am actually) so no progress from my side - interesting comments and I see nothing obscure has come up:
    - they tend to smell
    - the air inlet for the cabin is hopeless
    - fuel tank leaks common and smell comes forward if front windows open
    - smell may come from boot too.

I'll look more into mine in November.

Cheers

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Default Cx fumes

hi Guys,
    earlier this year I drove a CX as an almost daily driver. It was a bit of a wreck, but it was fun . I never had petrol fume problems.
    However, I have an old car that I'm wrecking. I removed the petrol tank, (which was 1/2 full!! ) and when I did each and every hose that connected to it was so badly perished that they all cracked/broke....including the one that goes to the filler!.
    I reckon its a good idea to replace all your rubber petrol hoses if possible, just for safety. It might fix those smells too.
    Cheers...George.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th
    hi Guys,
    earlier this year I drove a CX as an almost daily driver. It was a bit of a wreck, but it was fun . I never had petrol fume problems.
    However, I have an old car that I'm wrecking. I removed the petrol tank, (which was 1/2 full!! ) and when I did each and every hose that connected to it was so badly perished that they all cracked/broke....including the one that goes to the filler!.
    I reckon its a good idea to replace all your rubber petrol hoses if possible, just for safety. It might fix those smells too.
    Cheers...George.
    Many thanks George,

Good advice.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information