c5 positives/negatives
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default c5 positives/negatives

I've had my petrol auto 2001 c5 since 2002 and done 95k. Always had issues with front tyre wear (never anymore than 20k)and squeaky brakes have been my major problems. Rear hatch having frequent problems in opening and shutting in the last 3 months and cd sound is pretty crappy but otherwise and until last monday, very happy with everything else. Beautiful car to drive and handle, excellent room, can't go past gadgets and ideas.

Advertisement

Water pump leaks and oil leaks from both front struts and oil pipes were id'd during service last week and pretty hefty costs discussed.

I'm considering changing over anyway and have got my eye on an 04 c5 Hdi but wonder if these have similar issues to ones outlined; have these things been ironed out or any other comments would be helpful. The car in question has done 6k

I don't have a C5, but I do share your squeaky brakes and I put it down to Citroen's choice of pad material.

Modern cars no longer use asbestos for their brake pads, so unless Citroen uses pad material containing more carbon than average, it will squeak as most cheap OEM pads are metal pad on metal disc.

My old VW Turbo Beetle had soft OEM pads with lots of carbon in them - they didn't squeak BUT they did make the wheels absolutely filthy after even a few days.

Apparently, third party brake pads squeak less. When it's time for my brakes to be serviced, I'll get these softer, more carbon based pads if I can... and get ready to wash the wheels more often.

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    I've had my petrol auto 2001 c5 since 2002 and done 95k. Always had issues with front tyre wear (never anymore than 20k)and squeaky brakes have been my major problems. Rear hatch having frequent problems in opening and shutting in the last 3 months and cd sound is pretty crappy but otherwise and until last monday, very happy with everything else. Beautiful car to drive and handle, excellent room, can't go past gadgets and ideas.

Water pump leaks and oil leaks from both front struts and oil pipes were id'd during service last week and pretty hefty costs discussed.

I'm considering changing over anyway and have got my eye on an 04 c5 Hdi but wonder if these have similar issues to ones outlined; have these things been ironed out or any other comments would be helpful. The car in question has done 6k
    I had a 2003 C5 V6 and have just changed to a new 2.2 HDi. I had only one problem mentioned by you (squeaky brakes; cured by replacing rear pads at 60,000km). I did have gearbox problems (torque converter) fixed under warranty. I find the diesel a much better car; in particular smoother, better match of engine and gearbox. I don't have any experience with the new 6 speed V6 so can't comment on it. But the 2.2 HDi is a reral gem.

Tom

I have a 2002 HDi with 87K on it, rear brakes squeaked at around 60K replaced with non genuine ones and the squeak went away. Transmission problem rectified under warranty, no leaks, tyres (wheels) replaced free @ 50K current tyres wearing OK. Lovely car to drive although the transmission sometimes annoys me. Its a pity we don't get the new 2 ltr as its supposed to be better than the 2.2ltr but they will only put a 6 speed manual behind it which I would love as I still don't mind changing gears.
    Mark McKibbin

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by markm
    I have a 2002 HDi with 87K on it, rear brakes squeaked at around 60K replaced with non genuine ones and the squeak went away. Transmission problem rectified under warranty, no leaks, tyres (wheels) replaced free @ 50K current tyres wearing OK. Lovely car to drive although the transmission sometimes annoys me. Its a pity we don't get the new 2 ltr as its supposed to be better than the 2.2ltr but they will only put a 6 speed manual behind it which I would love as I still don't mind changing gears.
    Mark

Which tyres did you use as replacements? I fitted Conti Eco Contact Plus to the V6 and they were excellent; much quieter than the Michelins and the car seemed to steer and track better.

Tom

Apparently, third party brake pads squeak less. When it's time for my brakes to be serviced, I'll get these softer, more carbon based pads if I can... and get ready to wash the wheels more often.
    What brand were these as im looking at getting new ones soon.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by markm
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Good to hear some positive stories and nothing about suspension.

Thread Information