GS Aussie specs
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: GS Aussie specs

GS Aussie specs

Can someone pls inform me on the GS specs: engine size, Pallas or not etc and market value as i might aquire one of these beasts...! :p

Advertisement

GS in basically three engine specs AFAIK - early Club 1015cc;73> Club 1220cc; GSpecial 1129cc; 77>GS Pallas 1220cc. All 4 speeds or 3speed semi-auto. Pre-77 Pallas would be a private import, as would any X model (X2, X3 - higher compressions).
    You may be lucky enough to find a car with an imported motor from a GSA, or a GSA, with 1299cc. Likewise an imported GSA 5 speed box may be fitted.
    One only Birotor known in Australia, but some Mazda rotary conversions around.
    Market value is all over the place, depending upon how much work is needed/ how much registration is worth in your state. Tops lately seems the 4/5000 mark for immaculate/ restored cars, but few of these are around; most in the 1000 -2990 mark; cars needing much work from give away if you're in the right place/ right time.
    What goes wrong? Oil leaks; tired motors; tired synchros; occasional CVs; exhaust leaks; rust under battery/ behind glovebox (usually seen if lh front floor is rusting top down)/along bottom edges of inner rear arches/ door edges/ etc.; scrappy sun affected seat trims.
    Advantages - No water cooling hassles! Great ride/ handling (body roll worries those watching more than those riding), with self-levelling and 4w disc brakes that could all handle much more power.
    To me, the owner of a GS for 19 years now, they're a wonderful marriage of small Cit (2CV) simplicity and big Cit (DS, CX) technology/ ideas. As with all Cits, the best way to tell if you can live with one is to drive one.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Perfect description Bruce

I might get my hands on a GS from a deceased estate auction. It looks as if its got pallas wheels on it and appears to be in exceptional original condition from where i was standing (couldnt go past a rope barrier!) I dont even know what year it is. Its got the 2 round headlights instead of the trapezoidal shape ones. Did these things come to Australia in all the engine sizes you mentioned? I assume all engines were of the boxer type but i didnt know that they werent water cooled. Are all air cooled?

Cheers

Sounds like a 1977/78 GS Pallas GE (GE = Distant Export). The poor roads version sold in AUS from 1977 with four round headlights, body reinforcements and better sealing. It would be the 1220cc model, AUS only got the 1015 and 1220cc versions. All GS's were air cooled.

Anybody know what happened to the LHD version that was trawled around the AUS Citroen showrooms back in 1970ish? I remember being fascinated by the weird magnifying dials and humungous boot.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

So, what happened? I assume as a month has passed that the auction must have been and gone.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Can somebody explain the semi automatic thing on the GS. I have seen one but do they actually come in automatic?

There were no automatic GS's.

C-Matic still requires you to change gears with the gear lever but without the use of a clutch.
    The GS had the option of 4 speed manual or 3 speed C-Matic when it first came out with the 1220cc engine.

C-Matic uses a torque converter in the bell housing of the gear box. The manual & C-Matic boxes are very similar & I think top gear ratios are the same for both.

Having wrecked a few of these I have never actually driven a GS fitted with a C-Matic box.
    One would assume the performance would be pretty poor.

I knew a guy in QLD who bought my 5 speed box to fit up to a c-matic torque converter. He told me it was very successful.

We always found the driveshafts to be a lot better of a C-Matic wreck.

Tadpole
    A Citroen GS is an amazing car that's not so cheap to run (when is a Citroen cheap to run? when its on blocks). It has a ride second only to a DS and its got a lot of power for a 1.2 litre.. 70km/h in 2nd gear in a 4 speed is highly possible- if that's your thing.

It seems as if there aren't many available for sale at the moment, well at least one that's road worthy. If one was to buy a GS, they would have to go over it with a fine tooth comb and to have at least a passing knowledge of the GS- otherwise you could be running into more troubles than you can dream of. They might seem innocent in appearance, but there a billion things that can go wrong- but I guess that's the same for any French car.

I personally wouldn't buy a GS from an auction unless if I was assuming that I would use it for parts.
    --------------------
    Donat

1977 GS PALLAS
    1975 D SPECIAL
    ??? ????????
    ------------------->>

Thread Information