CX Wheel Bearings
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX Wheel Bearings

Hi,
    I'm looking at taking the front wheel bearings out, and giving them a check, clean, repack, or replace, and I can't find anything in any of the manuals that I have, on the correct procedure to do it. I could go hell for leather and just rip it apart, but I like to know what I'm up against before I start.
    The only other FWD I've done was a Mini, and that was 25 years ago, so I can't really remember what I did then anyway.(And thinking back, probably didn't know what I was doing then).

I assume its a matter of taking the caliper off, taking the split pin out, taking the castellated nut off, then the disc comesoff the drive shaft, but does the bearing come off with the disc, and do I need to press the bearing out of the disc?

Advertisement

Thanks
    Terry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedog
    Hi,
    I'm looking at taking the front wheel bearings out, and giving them a check, clean, repack, or replace, and I can't find anything in any of the manuals that I have, on the correct procedure to do it. I could go hell for leather and just rip it apart, but I like to know what I'm up against before I start.
    The only other FWD I've done was a Mini, and that was 25 years ago, so I can't really remember what I did then anyway.(And thinking back, probably didn't know what I was doing then).

I assume its a matter of taking the caliper off, taking the split pin out, taking the castellated nut off, then the disc comesoff the drive shaft, but does the bearing come off with the disc, and do I need to press the bearing out of the disc?

Thanks
    Terry
    Gee's,

now your testing my memory. I think you remove the brake disk and unbolt the wheel bearing from behind... It's pressed into a bearing carrier, years ago when I changed one I couldn't see any way of getting it apart. Now doubt it is possible if your persistant. I've got a new front bearing in the shed, however I'd still need to get that carrier apart if I was ever to fit them.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I see, I've got a cut away drawing of the whole hub assembly, but its a bit hard to follow, I guess I could pull it apart and check the bearings while they are still in the carrier, and worry about getting the bearings out if I have to, maybe even clean and repack them while still in the carrier.
    I'm doing this cos I've got a bit of a squeak from I think the front left wheel.
    Thanks
    Terry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedog
    I see, I've got a cut away drawing of the whole hub assembly, but its a bit hard to follow, I guess I could pull it apart and check the bearings while they are still in the carrier, and worry about getting the bearings out if I have to, maybe even clean and repack them while still in the carrier.
    I'm doing this cos I've got a bit of a squeak from I think the front left wheel.
    Thanks
    Terry
    Ok,

the bearings usually howl, not squeak though. They sound a LOT worse when under load (eg: you turn in that direction putting more load on the bearing).

Hmm, you don't have a handbrake cable touching the inside of one of the wheels do you ??? That's an old favorite of mine

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Could be the handbrake, I did have the handbrake cable supporting brackets undone when i did both rack eye joints, ( yep the other one died 1 week after I replaced the first).
    I will check tomorrow
    Thanks Terry
    ps the noise does get a bit louder when i turn a corner.

Hi Terry,
    Before you get carried away.... check that it is indeed the wheel bearing. You can do this by chocking and jacking the car up so the front wheel is off the ground. Pull the top of the wheel back and forward. You will get a good knock if the wheel bearing is worn.

If it is the wheel bearing, the procedure is, from memory...

Undo wheel nut. This will be very tight. Sometimes you will have to cut them off with a dremel. Make sure you have a spare wheel nut before you start, just in case...

Remove road wheel and disc.
    Drop out lower ball joint.
    Remove Drive shaft from hub.
    Undo bolts on inside of hub.
    Wheel bearing and flange can now be lifted out.

To remove wheel bearing, you don't need a puller.
    Just get some longer bolts which fit the thread on the outer race.
    With a bit of jiggling around you can use the bolts to push off the races.

Give me a shout if you are going to dive in, and I'll post photos.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Thread Information