Citroen 'goddess' feted in Paris
  • Register
  • Help

Icon1 Citroen 'goddess' feted in Paris

France has marked the 50th anniversary of one of the great design icons of the last century - the Citroen DS, or Deesse, saloon car.

Hundreds of DS cars from around Europe drove in procession past the Arc de Triomphe in central Paris.

Known by its nickname, the Goddess - Deesse in French - the car was an instant sensation when it went on display at the Paris car show in 1955.

Nearly one-and-a-half million were made during its 20 years in production.

The parade featured Citroen Deesse cars of varying colours and vintages, but all with the same sleek bodywork, the tapering rear window, the space-age indicator light, and the long bonnet that appears to surge forwards and upwards.

Futuristic

The Dťesse was developed for Citroen by the Italian designer Flaminio Bertoni in the austere post-war years, and when it went on display in Paris exactly 50 years ago, it had the crowds goggle-eyed in awe.

Twelve thousand orders had been placed at the end of the first day.

It wasn't just the aesthetic beauty of the machine, the futuristic dashboard and the extraordinary single-spoked steering wheel that mutated out of the steering column.

The technology was also well ahead of its day, notably the famous hydro-pneumatic suspension, which dispensed with common or garden springs and relied on liquids and valves.

Charles de Gaulle chose it for the presidential fleet - an inspired decision because in 1962, it was the car's ability to stay on the road at speed, despite two shot-out tyres, that saved his life in an assassination bid outside Paris. Today the car is recognised as one of the great design triumphs of the last century - looked back on by the French with a deal of pride, and not a little nostalgia too, for an era of national self-confidence that seems long gone.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen 'goddess' feted in Paris-_40890300_citroen203ap.jpe  

There were many more than just hundreds, there were probably 2500 or more!!! it was total chaos, but when was the last time you sat in a traffic jam of nothing but DS cars???
    I met up with UFO, and buttercup bob, and rode in the procession with pat and helmut. I will put some pics up when I have modified them.
    john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Sounds great. The NSW crew is a fantastic bunch of people and extra friendly. Cant wait to see all the pics.

Oh go on then, just to whet (yes, that is the correct spelling!) a pic of me, whith Helmut's aussie ID19, and the eiffel tower! more later, I'm tired!!! john s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen 'goddess' feted in Paris-ds-rally-023.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071
    Oh go on then, just to whet (yes, that is the correct spelling!) a pic of me, whith Helmut's aussie ID19, and the eiffel tower! more later, I'm tired!!! john s
    Hey Smiffy,

so are you a 'DS' convert now ... Will the CX's be up for sale while you look for a 'D'

Certainly I can't think of a better way to travel than the back seat of an DS/ID. Betcha the CX feels like a rough riding truck after that

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I always liked the DS anyway! Just wait till I do a full picture post, there was a heavily modified DS23ie, with a full nitrous oxide kit! 225bhp, and a 2000watt sound system, with play station, and DVD player, with LCD screens in the headrests!!! DROOL!!!! john s

Tadpole
    Taman Tun Dr Ismail/ Kuala Lumpur/ Malaysia

Icon7

Hi Lads.....

Long time no see- it's been a busy 5 years for me but I was at Paris and I DID meet up with UFO and Buttercup Bob and a few other blokes from Aussieland.

Just wanted to say thanks guys- you lot really made France feel a lot less daunting to the Malaysian contingent to the Jubile (grand total 2 people, 0 cars and "je parlez pas Francais") and I really hope to see you again in a rally in Australia.

Here's some pics I took at the event. Just 20 for now but I'll be adding more as time and bandwith permits.

Cheers

DIRAVI

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...3aOXRw&notag=1

G'day "Big A" so you've materialised in Paree. Who was the other half of the KL Contingent; Brij by any chance?

What a night that would have been, the Mayor of Woollongong out on the Town with the Mayor of Kuala Lumpur in the back seat of Buttercup Bobs D chucking moons at the Gendarmarie I miss all the good days out!!
    Hope to catch you when you hit our shores.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole
    Taman Tun Dr Ismail/ Kuala Lumpur/ Malaysia

Hiya Alan.....

Nah.... ole Brij has discovered the joys of BMW 325 ownership and is dumping his Citroens as fast as he can..... CX gone, Berlingo and BX up for sale. The other guy is not someone who's been on the forums before but a pretty serious nutcase anyway.

And yeah... I think it's time a little more travelling is called for. If I can make it to France to attend a rally I sure as heck can handle Australia- you lot are much closer and you speak the same language...... all I need to do is make sure I don't get stung by any of the lethal animals you keep hearing about on the Discovery Channel.

Cheers

Amir

Tadpole

diravi... haven't changed your nick here have you... well... if you guys want more pics... can have a look at this site too... i wasn't there but i posted the pics on behalf of the other part of the malaysian contingent...

http://dsgoldenjubilee.fotopic.net

Quote Originally Posted by DIRAVIdude
    Hiya Alan.....

Nah.... ole Brij has discovered the joys of BMW 325 ownership and is dumping his Citroens as fast as he can..... CX gone, Berlingo and BX up for sale. The other guy is not someone who's been on the forums before but a pretty serious nutcase anyway.

And yeah... I think it's time a little more travelling is called for. If I can make it to France to attend a rally I sure as heck can handle Australia- you lot are much closer and you speak the same language...... all I need to do is make sure I don't get stung by any of the lethal animals you keep hearing about on the Discovery Channel.

Cheers

Amir

Dear DS friends,

please find a picture gallery of the 50th anniversary in Paris at the Handelsblatt site, the German business paper:

www.handelsblatt.com/ds

Best,
    Harald Schultz

Thread Information