V8 Supercars...........phfttt!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default V8 Supercars...........phfttt!

Big deal, big noisy petrol guzzling hi-tech hunks of metal driving up and down a hill for 6 or 7 hours with the show ponies all making a deal out if it. On board telemetry, pits to car communication, jackets to keep 'em cool and so on, what a bunch of pussys.
    Try a mans sport.........24 hours in a twin cylinder air cooled creaking, bouncing, manual steering, 30's designed boneshaker!!!

Advertisement

http://62.95.94.132/gallery/album54

That'd try 'em out.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Oppose the dominant paradigm!

Go Alan

ed ge

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Big deal, big noisy petrol guzzling hi-tech hunks of metal driving up and down a hill for 6 or 7 hours with the show ponies all making a deal out if it. On board telemetry, pits to car communication, jackets to keep 'em cool and so on, what a bunch of pussys.
    Try a mans sport.........24 hours in a twin cylinder air cooled creaking, bouncing, manual steering, 30's designed boneshaker!!!

http://62.95.94.132/gallery/album54

That'd try 'em out.

Alan S
    I agree, Bathurst is now totally irrelevant, I have no idea who won yesterday. This from somone who in years gone by spent the day by the TV!
    Graham

But did you hear the commentary in the morning and their all bitchin' about how cold it is, straight off the south pole etc, and the grid girls are still there in their, not quite as, skimpies, big grins on their sex object dials, now that is true dedication to motor sport, all raise an erection to the grid girls, women excluded.

Ye ha

ed ge

XTC

Bring back the Sierras, bring back the Jags, bring back the RX7's, bring back the Skylines, bring back the variety !!! (then you might bring me back to the TV - watched about 3 mins yesterday ... Yawn).

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    Bring back the Sierras, bring back the Jags, bring back the RX7's, bring back the Skylines, bring back the variety !!! (then you might bring me back to the TV - watched about 3 mins yesterday ... Yawn).

- xTc -
    The last hour was good, what with the Murph Ambrose collision and the chance of a win by a relative nobody.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've never watched that tediously boring [email protected] Lets take a Chev V8, spaceframe and very slightly differently shaped fiberglass body and try to tell the locals it's "fowlcan Vs commonbore" .... Yeah that'll work

It's a pitty the 2litre touring cars didn't take off out here .... The problem was Ford and Holden didn't win so they'd have to ban every other entrant to ensure this ....... The 2litre racing is best by far, there's seven ?? manufacturers and it's actually great racing to watch

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

- xTc -
    Whilst there was some bits exciting racing (I switched on the TV in the late arvo, just as Ambrose and Murphy had their altercation) it really is just a battle of two badges, which means nothing anyway since the badge is about the only part of the car that resembles the road going version. (Not that I would ever wanna own the road going versions)

The Bathurst 24 hour race was good. Shame that was all short lived.

I just hung around chan 10 for the delayed Japaneese GP telecast (which btw, what an awsome race that was!)

The V8 Supercars are meant to be one of the best touring car series in the world. I am not sure about that, but atleast they aren't as ugly as that album (http://62.95.94.132/gallery/album54) that Graham posted. I wish we had a barphing smiley to use.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

V8 cars it was great to watch them all smash up. I would prefer 4 cyl cars racing like BTC. Alan is right on this one....

Bloody Bathurst over ran so they didn't show the WRC Japan highlights.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Bloody Bathurst over ran...

Troy.
    Its only been going for over 30 years. Everyone knows the race runs to 5pm. Why TEN thinks it will be over before then is just plain stupid. But then tv programming in this country just plain sucks. If I was a Kerry I'd be seriously kicking butt.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

- xTc -
    Couldn't agree more.

Personally, I enjoy the racing - I watched a bit of it yesterday and enjoyed what I saw - will watch the tape tonight. I've seen half a dozen rounds live recently too, and find it entertaining and exciting.

So they're race cars and have nothing to do with road cars. Doesn't make it less valid as a race.

Pushing the Holden vs Ford thing is a bit smelly, granted, and it also annoys me a little that it is a means of keeping these cars more popular than they might otherwise be. But then again, they aren't that bad and they are good value cars which suit Australia pretty well.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Lets take a Chev V8, spaceframe and very slightly differently shaped fiberglass body and try to tell the locals it's "fowlcan Vs commonbore" .... Yeah that'll work

The depressing thing is that it does... But the average Falcodore fan is not generally the brightest or independant thinking spark about... I know its not true that all Falcodore lovers are tools, but most tools are Falcodore lovers. I may be biased though, having grown up in a redneck country town and having to defend my Rover to all these fools...

Bathurst is as boring as batsh!t these days. I loved it when they were letting 1.3 litre NA Mazdas beat the pants off V8 homegrown stuff
    The video game is fun though

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Bathurst is as boring as batsh!t these days. I loved it when they were letting 1.3 litre NA Mazdas beat the pants off V8 homegrown stuff
    The video game is fun though
    Speaking of which... I watched about 5 minutes of the race, 'twas an in car shot with speedo/tacho etc... could quite easily have been a PS game in arcade mode

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS at Bathurst

Has this been researched before ?
    Memory suggests in the early 70s someone ran a DS ( I imagine a manual rather than hydraulique ) at Bathurst....naturally it didn't make much of an impact except for looking frightening in extremis......

Any details out there if Froggy Forum land ?

...........but, but, but.......did anyone bother to look at the link I posted????
    I screwed up big time here; I was trying to get everyone to look at the great shots of the 2CV racing; now that's what you call competition; wouldn't they be an absolute hoot??

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund
    Has this been researched before ?
    Memory suggests in the early 70s someone ran a DS ( I imagine a manual rather than hydraulique ) at Bathurst....naturally it didn't make much of an impact except for looking frightening in extremis......

Any details out there if Froggy Forum land ?
    This is true, I have seen some B/W footage of this. There are some copyright issues so please don't ask for a copy

If I can work out a way to make it available I will. Rest asured that it has been preserved by people who know their stuff.

regards
    sean

I remember a few years ago in motor that MMAL wanted to stick a V8 into a AWD Magna and run it. The people who organized the V8 dinosaurs said no.

I reckon instead of wanking around with dinosaur silouhettes and racing in China, they should be encouraging our local manufacturers, not just two outputs of the US car industry.

My favorite form of racing (and not cos Citroen / Loeb totally own it) is rallying. It's always been fun - remember the insane Audi Quattros and Sierras? Those guys know how to steer and have balls of steel. Plus, locally, it's a pretty low entry barrier to getting into the sport at a club level

Rallying is thankfully mostly free of the artificial barriers to technological inclusion - c.f. the boring F1 season this year brought on by yet more stupid restrictions. Yes, more unpredictable, but hardly exciting as people can't safely pass any more.

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

1000+ Posts

Can't safely pass!?

Andrew, mate, have you seen any of this season? Last nights Suzuka!?

I think That AVESCO should take a leaf from the DTM series, THAT is worth watching. I'd love to see Audi and Mercedes show the local 'heroes' how a V8 really works...

...........but, but, but.......did anyone bother to look at the link I posted????
    I screwed up big time here; I was trying to get everyone to look at the great shots of the 2CV racing; now that's what you call competition; wouldn't they be an absolute hoot??

Alan S
    I did, it as posted to the Yahoo GS list last night. Brilliant stuff. Now, if the latest French car day is anything to go by, 2CVs now outnumber GSes in this country about 15 to one, so we should be able to get a couple of them for bugger all $$$ to do that with, given how cheap a GS is eh Alan? No? Oh...

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

ade
    Fellow Frogger!

What ever happened to the legitimate production car race at bathurst during the early 90's? I will always remember Alan Jones talking about driving a 5 (or 7) series from the showroom floor in Brisbane to run it in and then straight to the track with the only modification allowed (outside of safety) was taking off the AC belt. And some poor bastard trying to push a 405 over the line after running out of fuel at the very end and collapsing from exhaustion. Now that was interesting racing, and i got the impression popular too. Was it sabotaged by the Commo-can makers?

Alan S
    I wanna know who did all the wind-tunnel work to get those aero kits right...
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by ade
    What ever happened to the legitimate production car race at bathurst during the early 90's? I will always remember Alan Jones talking about driving a 5 (or 7) series from the showroom floor in Brisbane to run it in and then straight to the track with the only modification allowed (outside of safety) was taking off the AC belt. And some poor bastard trying to push a 405 over the line after running out of fuel at the very end and collapsing from exhaustion. Now that was interesting racing, and i got the impression popular too. Was it sabotaged by the Commo-can makers?
    That would be the James Hardie 12-Hour races, and Jones raced a new M5 in the 1992 race and finished second. I can't speak for the M5 but the suspension regulations were fairly open so you could change a dog into something that actually handled OK. That was the year that Grice raced a Commodore ute as well, and was lapping surprisingly well. The RX7's were fresh off the boat and they just blitzed the field in terms of speed.

The memory you have of the poor bloke pushing the 405 over the line was in the late 90's, and it was the Super Tourer category - hardly a production based series. It was Dwayne Bewley if I recall correctly.

Production based racing in Australia is still running, but if you go to any of the races you realise why it has never really been popular. Hardly anyone goes to watch it!

Have to agree, rallying is fantastic - as a spectator sport too; thoroughly enjoyed the Rally of Canberra this year, although there is a fair bit of running around. With the V8 Supercars, its all rather easy plus there are always the support races.

If they put as much effort, coverage and sponsorship into rally here as they did the V8's, life would be better.

The PS2/PC V8 Supercar game is great - love the Formula Ford and classic car racing. I'm a sucker for Gran Turismo 4 though - gotta love a game that lets you drive a Xantia V6 (complete with ludicrous front-end dive under brakes ) around Nurburgring
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information