Rubber for Xantia
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    70

    Default Rubber for Xantia

    I think I asked this before, but lost the thread. Who has good experience with tyres for '96 Xantia? It has 16" alloys and currently running on 205x16 R Pirelli P6000's. They haven't been too bad (but are quite hard compound wise). We get "killed" here for excessive speed, so no real highspeed work, but a mixture of rural & urban. I prefer quiet runners as well. Any experience? What brand/type? I imagine that there are some real costly jobs out there.

    Also - rubber for the wipers! I've had "ordinary" and super-dooper graphite jobs and still get the shudder. And I've checked that they are inserted correctly. Anyone know what the originals would have been? May need to go back to finding some of them....
    Cheers - Paul

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! sparkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    372

    Default Xantia wipers

    Also - rubber for the wipers! I've had "ordinary" and super-dooper graphite jobs and still get the shudder. And I've checked that they are inserted correctly. Anyone know what the originals would have been? May need to go back to finding some of them....
    Cheers - Paul[/QUOTE]


    Just recently bought the Xantia and put new wiper blades on it. And yes the drivers side wiper shudders. Love to hear some suggestions.

  3. #3
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Fiddle and play with the clips that hold the blade in place. If they are not moving free, they'll chatter like all hell due to strain placed on the actual blade.
    I use the $2 for 4 special from Crazy Clarks and they work a treat.
    It's not just the fact I'm a tight arse that I use them, but it goes so long between rain periods and gets so bloody hot in the interim that it really doesn't matter what I use, when I can see rain is a definite, I just whack a couple of newies on and then make sure they're sitting right because the others by then will be stuffed regardless of what rice I pay for them.

    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    30

    Default Xantia rubber

    Quote Originally Posted by paulclifford
    I think I asked this before, but lost the thread. Who has good experience with tyres for '96 Xantia? It has 16" alloys and currently running on 205x16 R Pirelli P6000's. They haven't been too bad (but are quite hard compound wise). We get "killed" here for excessive speed, so no real highspeed work, but a mixture of rural & urban. I prefer quiet runners as well. Any experience? What brand/type? I imagine that there are some real costly jobs out there.

    Also - rubber for the wipers! I've had "ordinary" and super-dooper graphite jobs and still get the shudder. And I've checked that they are inserted correctly. Anyone know what the originals would have been? May need to go back to finding some of them....
    Cheers - Paul

    Hi Paul

    I have a Laguna V6 which I put a set of Dunlop SP3000a some time back. They were orginally designed for the XR6 turbo / XR8 Foulcans and my figuring was that they should handle the extra stresses of front drive and the (comapritive) extra weight of the 6 cylinder motor. They feature the latest woop de doo compunds and patterns etc and were a great buy compared to anything else I compared them against.

    The clincher for me was that they are Aussie made too (who new we made tyres here any more??). I've clocked up nearly 40,000km with them, they grip without drama wet or dry and are pretty good noise wise on our coarse gravel surfaced roads (this was something I was particularly concerned about with imported tyres).

    As I recall they are made in a good variety of sizes and I'm happy to buy them again when the time comes. I know that my feedback isn't Citroen based but I get so much good info from this forum I thought I'd add a little back!

    Enjoy. Tony

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! Clogzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney 2087
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Any garden variety 6 mm wiper blades will do, you buy them anywhere.
    Make very sure that the holding clip is mounted at the spindle end of the arm.
    Otherwise, the outward motion will tend to crinkle the blade, and cause shudder.
    When it's mounted correctly, the wiping action allows the blade to extend itself freely.

    Same finding as Alan with the weather here.
    The wipers don't get used for months, and by the time they do, they're shaped to the 'park' position.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! Trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulclifford
    I think I asked this before, but lost the thread. Who has good experience with tyres for '96 Xantia? It has 16" alloys and currently running on 205x16 R Pirelli P6000's. They haven't been too bad (but are quite hard compound wise). We get "killed" here for excessive speed, so no real highspeed work, but a mixture of rural & urban. I prefer quiet runners as well. Any experience? What brand/type? I imagine that there are some real costly jobs out there.

    Also - rubber for the wipers! I've had "ordinary" and super-dooper graphite jobs and still get the shudder. And I've checked that they are inserted correctly. Anyone know what the originals would have been? May need to go back to finding some of them....
    Cheers - Paul
    I thought the '96 Xantia's alloys were 15's and the tyres were 205/60 15. So if they are aftermarket, are they therefore 205/55 16's or indeed 205/60 16's? Anyway, I have always tended to end up back with Michelin's with our Xantia. Found the Pirelli P6000 very poor in comparison (185/65 14 however). Bridgestone Turanza's are nice (I've tried the 195/60 15) - good blend of comfort and handling and pretty quiet. Michelin do a MXV 8 or a Pilot Preceda which here are a bit over $200 a corner. The Precedas get a very good rap as a hard-wearing all-rounder and are quiet too. My brother's 307 has been transformed by changing from Continental Eco Contacts to Michelin XM 1's although that may not relate to your situation.
    John

    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Thanks to all for the replies re the tyres (I haven't addressed the wiper blade issue yet). I decided to do a drive around and see what was doing with tyres. At the continental place the Michelins were $450 a piece (gulp) and the Pirelli P6000's were $345. So I had almost decided on Johns recommendation of the Dunlops when into this particular tyre shop drove a guy with a Renault who wanted to take off his brand new (3 months old) Michelin MXV4+ size 205 55 R16's and put a Japanese tyre on his Renault all round. We did a deal on the spot and I bought all 4 for $100 each. I'm very satisfied thank you. And I hope he's satisfied with his Toyo's as well. It will be intersting to know actually..... And yes John, the 16" alloys are an aftermarket and they suit the Xantia very well, filling the wheel wells nicely. I'd post a photo to show you if I knew how to do it!
    Cheers
    Paul

  8. #8
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulclifford
    Thanks to all for the replies re the tyres (I haven't addressed the wiper blade issue yet). I decided to do a drive around and see what was doing with tyres. At the continental place the Michelins were $450 a piece (gulp) and the Pirelli P6000's were $345. So I had almost decided on Johns recommendation of the Dunlops when into this particular tyre shop drove a guy with a Renault who wanted to take off his brand new (3 months old) Michelin MXV4+ size 205 55 R16's and put a Japanese tyre on his Renault all round. We did a deal on the spot and I bought all 4 for $100 each. I'm very satisfied thank you. And I hope he's satisfied with his Toyo's as well. It will be intersting to know actually..... And yes John, the 16" alloys are an aftermarket and they suit the Xantia very well, filling the wheel wells nicely. I'd post a photo to show you if I knew how to do it!
    Cheers
    Paul
    I'm running Dunlops with new compound on the front of the Xantia. Excellent tyres and I can get up our steep drive without wheelspin. Not too expensive either.

    JohnW

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! pips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Paulclifford.

    I'd be interested in seeing pics of the Xantia with larger diameter rims.

    It's easy to post a pic.

    When you hit "Reply" for this thread. Look at the pic I've attached and the instructions will be more clear.

    1. Click on "Reply".
    2. Enter your message as per normal.
    3. Go to the bottom of the reply, after the two "submit reply" and "preview post" buttons.
    4. Below that is an area that is illustrated in the pic I've attached. Click "Manage Attachments"
    5. Select your pics (I think 3 at a time)
    6. Click "Choose File" and then navigate to where the pics are on your hard drive.
    7. Once chosen, hit "Upload".
    8. Once the pic is uploaded, it will notify you of the size.
    9. Close the pop-up window.
    10. Then just hit "Submit reply" when you are done.

    Cheers
    pips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rubber for Xantia-screenie.png  
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

    The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

    1990 405 Mi16

  10. #10
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,414

    Default

    If your after a Xantia, have a look in the for sale section. There's a Xantia CT for sale for $10,000 (I'd buy it in a heartbeat if something happened to ours).

    These would be bloody brilliant machines, low pressure turbo (not fast but efforless), Activa (0 degree bodyroll) suspension... If you think your Mi16 handles and rides well you have never been in a Xantia Activa (or any Xantia come to that).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! pips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Yeah. Something to consider.

    Though I'll need to sell the Pug first. So I can have the money to buy a more expensive Xantia.

    pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

    The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

    1990 405 Mi16

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! Trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    If your after a Xantia, have a look in the for sale section. There's a Xantia CT for sale for $10,000 (I'd buy it in a heartbeat if something happened to ours).

    These would be bloody brilliant machines, low pressure turbo (not fast but efforless), Activa (0 degree bodyroll) suspension... If you think your Mi16 handles and rides well you have never been in a Xantia Activa (or any Xantia come to that).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    It does say CT, but not Activa - the early ones just had the turbo and the VSX setup. I may be wrong (again) but I think the Activa didn't come out in Australia until 1998.
    John

    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

  13. #13
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    It does say CT, but not Activa - the early ones just had the turbo and the VSX setup. I may be wrong (again) but I think the Activa didn't come out in Australia until 1998.
    Bugger ... Oh well, the VSX is still excellent without the extra complication of the hydraulic rams acting against the anti-roll bar. An Activa is actually a VSX with the additional hydraulic rams and electronics to drive the 0degree bodyroll (at least that's my understanding).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! pips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    487

    Default

    That's better news to my ears. All this hoo haa about suspension is all good. But I'm a KISS man (Keep It Simple & Stupid - my own little version).

    This suspension thing was making me look elsewhere. As I am reading into it more, I am finding other threads with people having to re-gas, replace or something to them in what I would call "too often".

    Cheers
    pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

    The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

    1990 405 Mi16

  15. #15
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,414

    Default

    Sphere's aren't really the issue they are made out to be.

    A lot of poeple just drive there cars around with near flat spheres... Then as they get towards 10years of age the cars ends up with people on these boards.

    There first question usually is on these forums "Why is my car so rough to ride in, i thought Citroens were supposed to be good". Of course a 10year old sphere is going to be near buggered as it's never been regassed (if you regass them every few years they last a considerable time).

    Spheres new are less than 20quid each out of the UK... Of course postage is yet again a problem.

    Trixie has a factory serviced Xantia from new so would be by far the most knowledgable person to talk too if you wish to find out how much Xantias cost if you just want a car that you have serviced without really lifting the bonnet yourself.

    Being a motorbike mechanic, your going to find 'em simple as anything to work on. The only real known failities are a few electrical issues that have known easy/simple fixes (eg: the interior fan). Most by this age would have been fixed anyway.

    If you do look at the Xantia advertised here, don't let the fact it's a turbo put you off. I have a 20year old CX2500 GTi Turbo. As far as I can tell it's never had the motor apart, and it's still absolutely flies while using no oil between changes (sure I have had many issues with it, mostly due to 20year old rotten wiring as the car lived in the UK .... The mechanicals themselves are tough ).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! Trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pips
    That's better news to my ears. All this hoo haa about suspension is all good. But I'm a KISS man (Keep It Simple & Stupid - my own little version).

    This suspension thing was making me look elsewhere. As I am reading into it more, I am finding other threads with people having to re-gas, replace or something to them in what I would call "too often".

    Cheers
    pips
    Think shock absorbers. They need replacing too. As Shane says, there is no need to be put off by Citroen suspension - if its regularly maintained (either by Cit people or, like so many of those with more time/space and a little bit of skill), it will work well always.

    I suppose in 115,000km/10years we have spent $700-800 on maintaining the suspension in optimum condition at the dealer; done as part of the services. Probably compares OK to getting shockers replaced.

    Look at it another way; thrice now we have had the choice of swapping out of the Xantia but when I get in and spend a couple of days driving in, even after 10 years its a treat. Because of the suspension.
    John

    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •