Newbie BX 16V question
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon8 Newbie BX 16V question

I have recently bought my first 16v and I love it. However, there is an alarm in the dashboard which goes EEEE OOO EEE OOO every time I start the car. The alarm starts when the keys turn to the accesories position and stops when the hydraulic light goes out( which is normally as soon as the engine starts).

Is this alarm standard?
    Can it be turned off?
    Many thanks for any help

Ian

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It's a low hydraulic pressure warning buzzer ...

I suggest you leave it alone. You really do want to know if your losing hydraulic pressure while driving along. What annoys me about it is the mongrel thing is wired into the fluid level sensor, so whenever the LHM level gets slightly low that annoying [email protected] of a buzzer continuously sounds

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Yep, disabling this buzzer is one if the first things I did.

The buzzer is on the inside of the bottom cover for the steering column. Unscrew the 5 odd screws underneath, and then the two small ones that face you, and it just drops away from memory. Just pull the wires off the buzzer, but leave the other buzzer connected as that's the headlight warning buzzer.

Oh, and welcome to Aussiefrogs

Hahaha yes it is standard and a well loved bx feature.

You could pull the wire for it, but as annoying as it is, its always a good thing to know if you lose oil or hydraulic pressure or leave your lights on.

You get used to people looking at you funny while the car pumps up.

Dave

holy crap, lets all reply at the same time!!!

Dave

Default You've always got the light

That buzzer is a pain disconnect and there is always the glaring light on the dash politely requesting that you stop and panic quitely .Great the way it goes on and off as you go around corners fast the the LHM sloshing around and dripping of the bottom of the Bumper on the drivers side
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

That more often means you have low oil level/pressure, try topping up your oil.

Dave

Unless I'm missing something here, I thought that a warning buzzer was there for one good reason....to warn.
    Ever tried reading the speedo around 11am to 1pm on a summers day and seen the amount of reflection? I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to figure why they put an audible warning there to compliment the light. How can you tell whether the engine's about to cark it if you can't see the red light and you've disconnected the buzzer? I would no sooner disconnect that than fly to the moon in a hot air ballon; it's a disaster waiting to happen.
    The point with warning indicators is that they must both warn and annoy to the point where the operator of the car has to stop.
    Recently saw an oil pressure warning on a Race trim sports car that had been installed due to the owner/driver ignoring the red light when it began to show; the usual "I should just about make it to the end of the race if I nurse it" attitude. Result had been a couple of damaged engines doing around $25K - $32K damage on each occasion. The light that was fitted was a tail light off a trailor with a stop light bulb in it. When tested, the drivers comment was "if that bloody thing comes on, I'm going to have to pull over; how could anyone drive in a race with that shining in their eyes!"
    Mission accomplished!!!

Learn to live with it unless a 5 Grand engine job doesn't faze you.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Icon14

Many thanks to you all for your prompt replies.
    Just knowing that I can disable the rotten little buzzer is so empowering. I'll leave it connected smug in the knowledge that I can disconnect it any time I want!

cheers
    Ian

I can always give you the contact details of the guy in the UK who put one around one of their mega roundabouts over there at a fair rate of knots and took the bearings out on his engine about 3 months ago and is still trying to sort the hassles it left him with; that's how easy it can be done with it connected, so imagine without it.
    As Dave points out, on a right hand bend, they can tend to starve engines of oil if they're thrown around a bit and if you were to do as the guy in the UK did and give it some and your engine oil was down, the first you'd know was when the knocking started, because let's face it, on a winding road or around a big roundabout, you'd be watching the road and not the dash so the damage is done before you realise it.

Alan S

A mate of mine worked as a mechanic for a frozen food transport company in Wagga Wagga . Called out to a breakdown early one morning to a truck which had previously suffered oil pressure failure & to which he had also fitted a trailer stop light/oil presure light above the windscreen . When he reached the truck......no oil & virtually seized . "Didn't the red light come on ??" he asked the driver ......" yeah , it came on just outside of Henty , but it was so f....ing bright I hung my hankie over it !!!!!"

As a BX owner , I find the low presure buzzer very annoying .....just like it's meant to be . So it remains connected ...ensuring that I'll stop the car & turn off the ignition before every last drop of LHM has been sucked out of the tank .

The buzzer in the CX is annoying as well, and I thought of disconnecting it, but didn't. I am on the lookout for a replacement though, like something out of a Mazda 626 or something, which has a softer more bearable tone, like a "ding dong" type sound.
    Or better still, wouldn't it be cool to have a recorded message, with some French woman saying something like "Arrêtez le véhicule satisfont maintenant".

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by GaulStone
    As a BX owner , I find the low presure buzzer very annoying .....just like it's meant to be . So it remains connected ...ensuring that I'll stop the car & turn off the ignition before every last drop of LHM has been sucked out of the tank .
    Don't forget that this is a warning for engine oil as well as LHM, so you can end up with one of two options; no brakes, suspension and steering or option 2 a blown up engine.
    It's got me wet why so many think it's such an annoyance; are there really so many cars running around with 3/4 empty LHM tanks and engine oils off the end of the dipstick? Under normal conditions, you hear it for 5 seconds from when you turn the key to when it cuts out as the pressure is reached and if you can hear it any longer than that or during the course of normal driving, stop driving immediately before you have an expensive disaster.

Alan S

five seconds ? I wish! mine is much slower than that starting from cold in the morning too many spheres I guess....

ah well, it gives you pause to collect your thoughts before starting the day. If you are wondering how you can pause to collect your thoughts with that alarm going off, well it is easier than staying calm in Inner Sydney peak hour traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedog
    Or better still, wouldn't it be cool to have a recorded message, with some French woman saying something like "Arrêtez le véhicule satisfont maintenant".
    Then I would probably end up deliberately underfilling the LHM just to get the car to talk to me

whitegoshawk (bee boo bee boo bee boo bee boo bee boo....)
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

Thread Information