Xantia on ebay
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Xantia on ebay

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Xantia on ebay

1st Xantia I've ever heard of that's needed a gearbox rebuild (including cars in the UK that never get serviced)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Citroen-Xanti...QQcmdZViewItem

Advertisement

surprise ... it's a sydney car ... No doubt 'well over serviced'

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

It's owned by an dealer, so it's probably been way "over" serviced
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Take a look at the mileage; I'd lay bets on another Dex3 victim.
    That dealer seems to have a pretty fair reputation and one of his boys is a member on here, I just hope he doesn't get too burned with this car as he is one of the few dealers who will still handle French cars with confidence.
    If Jules is reading this, mate, can you check the service records of that car and tell us what kind of ATF had and has been used in the transmission and post the results please.
    From what I hear, there's still a couple who need to be convinced before their bank balance does the job for them.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

That Xantia has been for sale since we looked at the Xsara first off.

I wondered why it was still available
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    That dealer seems to have a pretty fair reputation and one of his boys is a member on here, I just hope he doesn't get too burned with this car as he is one of the few dealers who will still handle French cars with confidence.
    If Jules is reading this, mate, can you check the service records of that car and tell us what kind of ATF had and has been used in the transmission and post the results please.
    From what I hear, there's still a couple who need to be convinced before their bank balance does the job for them.

Alan S
    Isn't the problem with these 'auto' boxes in the Xantia & 406 the ''electro valves" - whatever they are - ???

I wonder if this is another bit of shoddy french electrics (Seimens?) that lets down an otherwise good design. Its sorta like the Com2000 of the automatics.
    So many projects - so little time.

I don't know much about the boxes in these earlier ones having solenoids etc, but I know the C5 onwards had the solenoid capers.
    I do know however that ZF auto/120,000klms and Dex3 is a well known combination of failures and speaking to Xantia owners who have had the Dex3 touch, there's a marked difference when it's changed over; be interested to find out.

Alan S

Trouble is Xantia automatics seem to hold up very well. The only problem (well I've never thought of it as a problem, just the design of the box) is it'll give a thump as it drops into top gear roughly 50% of the time.

I was driving it today, and I'm bloody stunned to find it appears to have stopped thumping into top with the Dexron III exchanged for 3litres of Transmax.... I bloody surprised as I expected no difference (given the gearbox was fine before). I'll give it a few weeks and give it another fluid change. that should have the majority of DIII out of it by then.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

It certainly won't sell at that price. I'd put it $4500-$6000 max.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default Xantia 5speed

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    1st Xantia I've ever heard of that's needed a gearbox rebuild (including cars in the UK that never get serviced)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Citroen-Xanti...QQcmdZViewItem

surprise ... it's a sydney car ... No doubt 'well over serviced'

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hello fellow frogys ,not really true shane. I had gearbox failure in my xantia,the centre diff part absolutely blew out of the caseing leaving me stranded in the middle of an intersection between Deli an Epping road, oh what fun it is to be cit driver Anyway this resulted in a total replacement costing about $3000 it is a poogo box (xantias are as rare as hens teeth) not as smooth as the xantia box but.

That's a very strange failure... Usually the clutch pack and soleniods in them die in a short timeframe costing many $$$$ to repair.

Yours sounds like it almost had a manufacturing flaw in the castings almost. We aren't exactly putting a lot of power through them

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Just out of curiosity, what was the speedo reading at the time and if service records are available, which ATF was being used in it then and now?

Alan S

Just out of curiosity, what was the speedo reading at the time and if service records are available, which ATF was being used in it then and now?

Alan S
    Im sorry,I dont think i said its a 5 speed manual. It had about 220 000km at the time and can you recomend a good manual trany oil? its done a good 5000km since then an maybe i should replace oil again.

The car this was about is an auto.

ZF autos seem to have a reputation in Australia in BXs in particular of doing around 120,000 klms yet overseas they are considered almost indestructable apart from the ones that have been fed on the same ATF as those out here namely Dexron3 and anyone with one that has found this stuff in their transmission has noticed a marked improvement once they revert to the fluid as recommended by Citroen and ZF namely ATF D2.
    Personally, I have this phobia based on personal experience of using Castrol VMX80 and Nulon G70 additive. We've used it for a few years in both BXs and Xantia 5 speeders with great results although I understand that later Xantias have a preference for synthetic transmission oil.
    FYI, this is the thread relating to the autos that you may find an interesting read.

Citroen BX autos/ZF Autos: Why do they fail?

Alan S

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Trouble is Xantia automatics seem to hold up very well. The only problem (well I've never thought of it as a problem, just the design of the box) is it'll give a thump as it drops into top gear roughly 50% of the time.

I was driving it today, and I'm bloody stunned to find it appears to have stopped thumping into top with the Dexron III exchanged for 3litres of Transmax.... I bloody surprised as I expected no difference (given the gearbox was fine before). I'll give it a few weeks and give it another fluid change. that should have the majority of DIII out of it by then.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shane,

Thats great news ! Mine does the "thump into 4th gear" sometimes too, particularly if it changes going downhill on the overrun.

I have a bottle of Castrol Transmax M just sitting in the garage waiting for a fine weekend to do the first changeover. (It's been waiting 3 weeks now for a fine weekend )

I have no evidence that the oil that is in there now is Dexron III, (although I suspect it) but whatever it is, its sure dirty as its dark brown...

Regards,
    Simon

Tadpole

Alan S
    Hi Alan,

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while... I've had a look through the books and there is no mention of the type of fluid used for the tranny. There are no stickers around the car that mention it either...

It has been serviced fairly regularly - Citpro, Continental Cars, R. A. McDermott and European Motor Works according to the books.

No clues here unfortunately....

Julian

Thread Information