AL4 oil change
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: AL4 oil change

Fellow Frogger!

Default AL4 oil change

Just had the C5 in for it's 80k service, and had the AL4 oil replaced at the same time. Makes a big difference, much smoother changes & seems to act more decisively. The oil that came out was noticeably darker, but not black or dirty.

Advertisement

My advice is: don't believe the "sealed for life" story - change the oil regularly. At $110 a pop, perhaps every 10k is a bit too often though.

Barry.

Yep, i've noticed all the dealers say it's "sealed for life".

But i guess if it makes a considerable improvement, it's worth the change.

Has your C5 been trouble free for those 80,000kms?
    Last edited by Uga Boga; 29th September 2005 at 11:31 AM.
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Barry
    Isnt the AL4 in the C3 also?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Barry
    Isnt the AL4 in the C3 also?
    Yes, it's in the C5 2.0L, Xsara, C4 and C3.

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    Yes, it's in the C5 2.0L, Xsara, C4 and C3.
    More importantly, it's also in the great Peugeot 206, 306, 307, 406, 407, 607, 807, etc

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    More importantly, it's also in the great Peugeot 206, 306, 307, 406, 407, 607, 807, etc

No wonder it's a POS of gearbox, this must've been one of the Poogoe creations.

The ZF, which is much more smoother, was developed by Citroen!

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

No wonder Peugeot couldn't wait to get rid of it, replacing it with a superior Japanese Aisin-Warner unit

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Well it must be reliable if the gearbox is in Peugeot models.
    That is one stress off my mind and my wallet.

Yep, i've noticed all the dealers say it's "sealed for life".

But i guess if it makes a considerable improvement, it's worth the change.

Has your C5 been trouble free for those 80,000kms?
    Uga, I wouldn't be worried about your 2003 Xsara's AL4. My 6/2001 Xsara was the first batch imported into Oz. I bought it early 2003 from Ateco's lawyer with just 8k on the clock. The first AL4 release has issues with the electro valves from the beginning. Cit and Pug dealers are aware of this.

My problems started in mid 2004 when I noticed a lag in the tranny. Then by late 2004, the tranny skipped and went into limp mode - only runs in 3 gears, sluggishly. This happened once and cured itself. By winter 2005, this skip happened almost everyday. Since there was no Cit. dealer in Geelong, I brought my Xsara to the Pug dealer. They attached it their Proxia tester and it was identified that electrovalves are faulty. They couldn't overhaul my tranny since they were not sure if the 307 software will work on a Xsara. An upgrade is necessary after the overhaul as they will reset the ECU. They told me to bring it Melb.-there, it was again identified by the computer that electrovalves needs replacement. Cit. dealer have now installed a modified electrovalves and added magnets in the tranny to trap metal particles. The Cit. and Pug dealer explained that this was not unusual for the first AL4s. I assume that this was for models from 2001-2002. Is your tranny playing up? Have you had any symptoms I've mentioned? If not, maybe your tranny already has the modified electrovalves and magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan M.
    Uga, I wouldn't be worried about your 2003 Xsara's AL4. My 6/2001 Xsara was the first batch imported into Oz. I bought it early 2003 from Ateco's lawyer with just 8k on the clock. The first AL4 release has issues with the electro valves from the beginning. Cit and Pug dealers are aware of this. ----------

They attached it their Proxia tester and it was identified that electrovalves are faulty. They couldn't overhaul my tranny since they were not sure if the 307 software will work on a Xsara. An upgrade is necessary after the overhaul as they will reset the ECU. They told me to bring it Melb.-there, it was again identified by the computer that electrovalves needs replacement. Cit. dealer have now installed a modified electrovalves and added magnets in the tranny to trap metal particles. The Cit. and Pug dealer explained that this was not unusual for the first AL4s. I assume that this was for models from 2001-2002. Is your tranny playing up? Have you had any symptoms I've mentioned? If not, maybe your tranny already has the modified electrovalves and magnets.
    Sealed for Life - yeah right - its only true in the sense that if you dont touch it you will have very short transmission life!

Could I be so rude as to enquire how much these repairs were worth (or how much was paid) for it to be done ???
    So many projects - so little time.

Although I have about 20,000 km left on the clock (so the dealer gets to do it until then), does anyone know how / where you change this ATF in the C3?

My auto box is clunky at cold start up, shifting down far too quickly making the car unsafe if I need to apply max thrust until it gets a few km on it. I was wondering if a simple thing like ATF might help its poor manners.

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

My auto box is clunky at cold start up, shifting down far too quickly making the car unsafe if I need to apply max thrust until it gets a few km on it. I was wondering if a simple thing like ATF might help its poor manners.
    Andrew mine also does this when it is cold and just starting out. I also have issues getting to inclines on hills. I find it doesnt change back to 1st or it gets stuck in 1 gear then it changes down hard. I just put it down to the gearbox and its behavior. Under warranty it did have an electrovalve replaced but its still does it.

damn. I was sort of hoping it was something which is fixable. I'll get them to check on the firmware and for the AL4 when I get them to look at the climate aircon "clunks" which are driving me nuts.

Andrew

I'll get them to check on the firmware and for the AL4 when I get them to look at the climate aircon "clunks" which are driving me nuts.
    Mine also always makes loud clunks too with the aircon. I put it also down to something that the car just does. When my aircon was regassed, (after a dealer fiddled with it) Colliers advised it was just a noisy system but nothing seemed wrong with it.Your car is not the only one that seems to make all these noises.

It wouldn't be so bad, but with only 57 kW, the clunks accompany serious performance issues when the engine is cold. Which is why I want them to have a look... at least.

Andrew

Yeah i get those clunks in the C4 as well, but not so much in the Xsara.

I put it down to being part of that great French character!

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

No wonder it's a POS of gearbox, this must've been one of the Poogoe creations.

"The ZF" is German. ZF is a company that develops transmissions and other driveline bits.

http://www.zf.com/defaultz.asp

Troy.

It wouldn't be so bad, but with only 57 kW, the clunks accompany serious performance issues when the engine is cold. Which is why I want them to have a look... at least.
    Yeah 57 Kw is a serious performance factor. The clio has a bit more and I was considering the 1.4 auto in that car but I thought the look of it was not that good. Another turnoff was the wipers on the other side of the car and the gearbox was "obscure" and felt dull. Thats why I went for the C3. My car had 27Km on the clock I took it for a drive at that time and went back to the dealer and decidied I wanted it. I was also going to sell my Renault 19 and buy a Citroen BX. No dealer would trade my R19 in on one as they said they would be robbing me because my car was in better condition than any BX I saw.

Im very happy with the C3 though even with all its "chickenpox plastic" interior and slug performance. I am in the frame of mind that I wont change for a long time.

Chickenpox interior, good one

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    Sealed for Life - yeah right - its only true in the sense that if you dont touch it you will have very short transmission life!

Could I be so rude as to enquire how much these repairs were worth (or how much was paid) for it to be done ???
    604,on an earlier thread I made ($3,150 for 60K service) I posted the invoice. AL4 repair/upgrade costs around $850. This is the same price quoted to me by the Pug dealer.

Thread Information