Citroen Diesel????
  • Help

Icon7 Citroen Diesel????

Hi there, I hope the Pug guys don't tease me but I am about fed up trying to find a Pug diesel. Do any of you Citroen folk know of any Citroens with a diesel that were made after 1985? I've been told that there was a BX diesel but only in NZ. My father-in-law has a Xantia wagon that is supposedly alot like a 406. What did Citroen make that was like the 405 and did it have a diesel? Any help in making me more Citroen aware would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan.

Advertisement

There was a BX diesel that came in a 19 N/A a few turbo but the most popular was the 17TDR which was a 1.7 litre turbo diesel.

In Australia we never got them out here although there are a few that were private imports. There's actually one for sale in the Victorian trading post/Autotrader for $700 but it's the 1.9 N/A version for would you believe $700.

The Xantia is available in a diesel and I think out here it's possibly the 1.9/2.0 litre version in turbo. Overseas, the guys seem to be more than a bit happy with the performance and logeivity. I know a few over there who have both BX and Xantia in diesel and from all accounts they are a way above average vehicle that gives some pretty remarkable fuel consumption and performance figures.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Indeed, 50 mpg or more is quite common, and the diesels here hold a MUCH higher resale value. Not just in Britain, but Europe as a whole, (I know that's bad English, but is this the face of concern !!) Diesels are very popular indeed. One thing I really like about Diesel engines, is they seem to be able to take all manner of abuse, and still come back for more. Also, no complicated electronics on the BX is a bonus! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

..And you are right that NZ has the range of Citroen (& Pug) diesels from the BX onwards. The CX diesels here are private imports, and quite a few of them. From the BX, all of the range (except the Station Wagon) was available with a variety of petrol & Diesel engines and that has carried right through the model range to date. The C4 sales are mostly diesels and they would be higher if some of the specs of that model were available in diesel auto's. My next move will be to dielsel, although petrol has dropped to $1.51 per litre, and diesel has dropped to 94c per litre (but there is road tax on top of the diesel whereas it is already included in the price of petrol)
    Paul

I have one of the few privately imported BX diesels in Australia - a 1991 TZD 1.7 litre turbo diesel. It's a fantastic car that I've had since 1994 and regularly get 50+ mpg in it (it's calibrated in miles, so I convert litres to gallons and go by mpg). Other than a mishap late last year with a failed cam belt tensioner that broke the cam and gave me something to do for a few weekends - now fixed; the car has had very few problems outside of normal maintenance items like exhaust system, spheres, steering pinion seal, thermostats, etc.
    Has buckets of torque and quite happily cruises for hours on end at the speed limit or well over . Parts are not a problem for it - fuel filters, glow plugs, etc. are readily available here, and other than the cam with it's drive for the hydraulic pump, most diesel Pug parts are the same - although I haven't tried to get any here - just go overseas to GSF in the UK for them.
    I much prefer it on the freeway to my 16V for long trips due to the low rpm (less noise) at cruising speed and softer ride, yet can overtake just as easily due to the turbo.
    Cheers,
    Roscoe
    1991 BX TZD
    1990 BX 16V (x 2)
    2004 307 Touring
    1990 Mitsubishi Express Van: Alpaca Transport:

Default Citroen Diesel search

You Citroen folks are on the ball, I don't care what the Pug guy's say! Just kidding, I don't want to start a gang war. Thanks for all the info, now I know what I'm looking for when I reach for the tradingpost. I only hope the 1.9 BX you speak of is still available when I get back to Melbourne tomorrow, I can't go wrong for that kind of money, or can I? What are the important things to look for in a Citroen? How can I check the hydraulics to make sure they are up to scratch. I can only assume this would be expensive to fix. Any spots on these cars that like to rust? Thanks again and BTW, Ozzie, I remember reading about cam problems in your BX, I'm glad to hear that you got her back on the road. If you ever want to part with her, give me a call.
    Cheers!

FYI,

Here's the advert:-

CITROEN VX 19RD Diesel, 1985 private import, 131.000 miles, suit spares or restore, no reg eng.no:V900145T $700 (03)95158277, Clayton.
    STATE: VIC FIRST PUBLISHED: 27 Sep 2005
    SOURCE: Private Classifieds (Melbourne Trading Post)

At a guess, I would imagine it may have corrosion in the hydraulic pipes as this was a weakness in early BXs overseas.
    At the mileage, it would be barely run in at that mileage with speedo readings from 300 - 700,000 miles being not uncommon.
    If that is proven to be correct, I'd suggest a call to French Connection, Dave Cavanagh, an Aussiefrogger and get an opinion and quote/rough idea to get it brought up to scratch.

FRENCH CONNECTION PTY LTD

..French Car Speclst 34 King St Airport West 3042
    (03) 9338 8191

Fax
    (03) 9335 4002

Email french@netconnect.com.au

Now don't go playing Russian Roullette with the yellow pages, this guy will give you an honest opinion and may possibly even know the car which will save you a lot of time and money if he does.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information