Xantia Ride
  • Help

Thread: Xantia Ride

Default Xantia Ride

Greetings
    Anyone care to comment on a comment my wife has made (no, no, read on) about the riding in the rear of the Xantia. First time she has riden back there and makes the comment that it doesn't feel as if it is "gliding along" from the back. She feels it is quite rough and nothing like being in the front. (And no better than her Mazda 121!) As the driver, what I find is that there is quite a lot of suspension noise from the rear. Crashes and thumps quite markedly over manholes (that I try and avoid), and broken road surfaces. (Tyres? Pirelli's). Although the ride itself doesn't seem to bad, the noise is something else. Ony other thing I've noticed is that when travelling with passengers in the back, when you go over undulating surfaces, the rear always comes down first. With just me in the car it's great.
    Paul

Advertisement

Is it an SX or VSX?

Naturally spheres can have an effect as can rear arm bearings but in the case of a VSX we also have the anti-sink that will also cause it to ride a bit rough.
    Mine had flat spheres yet people still commented on how comfortable it was in the rear so it may pay to check on the arms. If it's a VSX, it's always worth checking to be sure the button for "sports" mode hasn't been accidentally pressed by kids or fiddling friends.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Sounds like a simple case of dead spheres at the back .... As a check, my Xantia hydractive (VSX) I can easily push all the way down to it's bumpstops using one hand on the hatch.

The button Alan speaks of on Xantias makes no difference at all that i can find. The Xantia has Hydractive II ... with H2 the button only changes how quickly the car will change to hard mode, it does NOT lock it in hard mode like the XM's with H1 did.

Yours sounds like a simple case of flat sphere though ... The back of these cars should be so soft you can't believe it can actually handle without 2cv like bodyroll.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

They like their rear spheres changed from time to time; I think ours tend to be done every 30,000km or so to maintain optimum function. God I LOVE riding in the back seat of the Xantia. Plush as.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    They like their rear spheres changed from time to time; I think ours tend to be done every 30,000km or so to maintain optimum function. God I LOVE riding in the back seat of the Xantia. Plush as.
    Gee's that's Sydney people for you If only we could get our spheres regassed all the time at only $15bux each I'd be doing them every 30,000kms too

Trixie, your gonna be amazed if you ever ride in the back seat of a Xantia VSX that has properly gassed spheres. It's as soft a GS with new rear spheres. The downside is the car has a habit of dropping it's bum up 'n' down at trafficlights (I can live with that though). Really you can push the back down to it's bumpstops with ease using one hand

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I loved it the other week when I stopped at a set of traffic lights and had a ricer sitting right on top of me. The "No Fear" signs were screaming into my mirror as was the brainless one with cap assabout as he tried to get as close to the rear of the Xantia as he could. I suddenly let the foot off the brake and she shot up so high he must have been looking at my tow ball.
    Wish I'd have got the expression on film; definitely grand finalist stuff for Funniest Home videos.
    Another inch or two and I reckon I could have taken his front bumper with it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Gee's that's Sydney people for you If only we could get our spheres regassed all the time at only $15bux each I'd be doing them every 30,000kms too

Trixie, your gonna be amazed if you ever ride in the back seat of a Xantia VSX that has properly gassed spheres. It's as soft a GS with new rear spheres. The downside is the car has a habit of dropping it's bum up 'n' down at trafficlights (I can live with that though). Really you can push the back down to it's bumpstops with ease using one hand

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Its a little bit more than $15 Shane , I could check but now there are so many receipts in the pocket of the owner's manual its just too hard to open the little hatch over the fuses where its kept .

I'd reckon our Xantia is just as soft as the old GS at its best too
    John

BTW, I just swapped a set of revolting Pirelli P6000's for Michelin XM-1's. So much better, those Pirelli's never did handle well. I miss the MXV3's though - seem no longer availible.
    John

Its a little bit more than $15 Shane , I could check but now there are so many receipts in the pocket of the owner's manual its just too hard to open the little hatch over the fuses where its kept .

I'd reckon our Xantia is just as soft as the old GS at its best too
    It's probably the same then... Your not replacing the spheres every 30,000kms are you PM UFO .... He's the president of the NSW Citroen car club. They regass spheres for $15bux a sphere. I'd be, but very surprised if you got less than 20years out of a sphere that's regualary regassed. Replacement is horendously expensive out here but very much an option in the UK where spheres are only 12quid each.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Oops; my apologies - I just looked at my original post; I tell a lie. I think they swap them at the service for regassed spheres (like I said a bit more than $15, but not that much). Never got into the regassing thing; either you have to go to a tech day (never time, never time ) or send them away hence your own labour and a spare set. Lazy I know, but....
    John

Oops; my apologies - I just looked at my original post; I tell a lie. I think they swap them at the service for regassed spheres (like I said a bit more than $15, but not that much). Never got into the regassing thing; either you have to go to a tech day (never time, never time ) or send them away hence your own labour and a spare set. Lazy I know, but....
    Correction; checking the invoices, they regass them, and the cost is included as part of the labour charge so I don't know what that works out as.
    John

Thread Information