What can a BX tow?
  • Help

Default What can a BX tow?

Here's what a guy from Slovenia tows with his TZD, don't know how legal it would be out here though.

Just posted this as there's been a couple of "towing" threads lately.

Advertisement

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

alan
    thats a massive van he is towing? The question of towing has always been interesting. I have always wondered what weights french cars will tow. Someone asked me one day if a C3 could tow a caravan but I had no idea I just thought it would have to be a small caravan if the C3 was an auto I said.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Here's what a guy from Slovenia tows with his TZD, don't know how legal it would be out here though.

Just posted this as there's been a couple of "towing" threads lately.

Alan S
    Grab the 'van spec's from him. I'm putting $$$$ that 'van weighs less than 800kgs .... Our caravans out here are massivly heavy built things with chassis.

The caravans in the UK are incredibly light weight things too... The sheer size of it would be a worry, you would think the wind would blow it around being so light and big

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

I recall seeing a website a couple of years ago where some of those crazy Danes use their diesel BXs to tow their small yachts from the marina to home for winter. These are the type of yachts that have a permanent keel attached, so they must weigh a bit!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

European 'vans are fairly lightweight - I tow a 1200KG one with my Xantia and have moved it with the TZD BX before now. The Xantia however was more than capable of towing the BX Tizzy Dee and big fooooook orf trailer back from its last resting place some 60 odd miles away.

Its the suspension that makes towing a doddle.
    Anyway - hello to you all down here - still havent found the roo with the fag....

If you cast your mind back to the mid 1980's, Citroen themselves did some crazy stunts with tow cars!
    They got one of those huge aluminium "airflow" american caravans, and hooked it up to a BX, to show what a good tow car the BX was. I remember seeing these brochures while I worked in a citroen main dealer.
    Of course, I doubt very much if it would be legal to actually take it on the road like that!
    Mind you, during the glastonbury festival back in the summer, I saw a caravan that size, being towed by a Vauxhall corsa (holden barina) which is very definately illegal!!! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Could my CX tow another CX on a trailer, would it wreck my car or would it just be totally illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy N
    Could my CX tow another CX on a trailer, would it wreck my car or would it just be totally illegal?
    Highly illegal... Most rental trailers weigh in excess of 800kgs .... I've done it many times without problems. Infact it tows it quite well. ... But certainly I wouldn't tow that sort of weight for any great distance. Have you ever towed a big trailer before ... Make that a big HEAVY trailer

Do you know anyone with a w@nk tank

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I know this is a Citroen thread, but I thought this appropriate..

Isnt one of the laws in Victoria, that the car + trailer combo cant weigh more than the towing vehicle?

David.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What can a BX tow?-plateaua.jpg  
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Hi Vivid,

that must have taken some moving back and forward on the trailer of the towed car so the back suspension didn't get flattened out on the R16.

The Cit's are easier, you just roll the car as far forward as far as you can and tie it down. The towcar then just effortlessly hoists the back suspension up and level. It doesn't even look slightly overloaded ....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: That's the exact reason why I'm always hesistant to tow a CX with a CX, even the dumbest cop in the world is gonna know it's overloaded towing the identical car.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    I know this is a Citroen thread, but I thought this appropriate..

Isnt one of the laws in Victoria, that the car + trailer combo cant weigh more than the towing vehicle?

David.
    Certainly the case in the UK - however the police over here use the manufacturers towing limits as their guide - so the Xant is rated (UK) at 1200kgs towing weight - the 110HDi is rated at 1300kgs

I think the BX and trailer came in at nearer 1700Kgs all told - still did it effortlessly though

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Hi Vivid,

that must have taken some moving back and forward on the trailer of the towed car so the back suspension didn't get flattened out on the R16.
    Incidently Shane, I have no idea who's 16(s) those above are, I found it somewhere. Just incase you thought it was me.. I did however tow a 16 (as shown above) on a simular trailer with a Fuego.

The 16 does bottom out onto its bump stops, thats what the levers to tilt the headlights are for.

David.
    Last edited by vivid; 23rd September 2005 at 09:51 PM.