Odometer tampering?
  • Help

Icon5 Odometer tampering?

Made an interesting discovery while measuring my BX's fuel economy over the weekend. None of the numbers were adding up and the distances between towns were all wrong.

After being stumped for a while it occurred to me that the odo was measuring miles, not kms. A quick test over a known distance confirmed this.

What gives? The speedo is marked in both mph and kmh so I'm wondering if Citroen made the odo dual purpose as well, maybe with a switchable gear. Anyone know if this is true? If so, perhaps a previous owner switched it to wind over more slowly?

I can't imagine a car getting Australian compliance with it measuring miles, we were well and truly metricated back in '85, and sheesh, metric is a French invention!

Advertisement

Anyway, my 158,000km car may really be closer to 260,000.

Ahh... I just love buying cars... so many mysteries to unravel!

No dude, the speedo heads on mph, and kph are different. If yours shows Mph in large white numbers, and kph in smaller red numbers, then the odometer is in MILES. Sounds like your car is a UK import...john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

I'm vaugely remembering something along the lines that many imported cars
    brought into Australia didn't need to be fully metrified as long as the
    speedo had a KpH capacity. Your car may have been a UK spec model
    that has the odo in miles and a dual readout speedo for UK / Euro drivers.
    I doubt anyone has jiggered the odo to read miles rather than Km, especially
    as all our distance signs in the 80's were in Km by then.

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Easy eay to tell, Push the trip meter button on the speedo. Do a KNOWN kilometer. If the trip reads something like 0.6, then you really do have a miles odometer. Simple! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

It is also not uncomon for a 20 year old BX to be on it's second (or third) speedo as between the UV and wear it was easier to swap a dud or noisy speedo for a 2nd hand one rather than repair it.

You may very well have an Ausie BX with a MPH speedo off an import.

A check of the compliance plate should tell.

Whenever I have found a low klm car it has either had some form of documented history to support the distance travelled or I take it with a grain of salt. Either a sticker on the timing belt cover to show when it was last changed / due and / or a date on the spheres to show when they were last regassed are the two obvious ones together with some old pink slips (for NSW cars) showing klms travelled in lieu of any kind of log.

BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Z
    It is also not uncomon for a 20 year old BX to be on it's second (or third) speedo as between the UV and wear it was easier to swap a dud or noisy speedo for a 2nd hand one rather than repair it.

You may very well have an Ausie BX with a MPH speedo off an import.

A check of the compliance plate should tell.
    The compliance plate is for a genuine import via dealer channels so I guess the speedo was changed at some time. The MPH numbers are bigger than the KPH so it's probably a UK speedo.

Heh, not that I really care, just struck me as odd. Certainly better to know I was getting about 8l/100km rather than 11 that I originally worked out!

Thread Information