CX speedo cable
  • Help

Thread: CX speedo cable

Fellow Frogger!

Default CX speedo cable

Hi froggers

Today I replaced the blown bulb for the fuel - oil guages, you know the one that you have to pull out the instrument panel.

Well when I removed the speedo cable from the these straw like plastic bits about 1" long fell out of the rear of the speedo. They looked like they were a part of the little plastic bit that goes over the drive cable to spin the speedo.

The plastic collar that the spring clip goes through to hold the cable onto the rear of the speedo also crumbled when I removed the spring clip.

On reflection I think it would be better when removing the instrument panel to undo the intermediate cable joiner just inside the engine bay. easy to say now.

When its all boiled down and made into fat, I need the little plastic bit that goes into the rear of the speedo and the short cable that goes into it and through the firewall.

Advertisement

I don't know if there is a difference in the Jaeger and Veglia panels but I woul doubt it.

Anyone have a spare if not can new ones be purchased?

Cooch
    Last edited by Cooch Goodwin; 16th September 2005 at 08:26 PM. Reason: another thought

I think they are still available as a part new and most used ones will be the same as yours.
    Go to the hardware store and see if you can con the nozzle off a new silicone cartridge off the big bird on the checkout who usually has a boxful under the counter.
    Cut the pointy bit off just far enough back to force the cable through and use that to replace the bit that broke.
    I've never done it personally, but this was an old trick in the UK on both CX and BXs to sort that problem.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I think they are still available as a part new and most used ones will be the same as yours.
    Go to the hardware store and see if you can con the nozzle off a new silicone cartridge off the big bird on the checkout who usually has a boxful under the counter.
    Cut the pointy bit off just far enough back to force the cable through and use that to replace the bit that broke.
    I've never done it personally, but this was an old trick in the UK on both CX and BXs to sort that problem.

Alan S
    Thanks Alan if nothing turns up I will have to try and manufacture something along your lines.

I must admit I was not as gentle as a poofters caress when removing the retaining speing clip, should have known the plastic would be brittle.

The little plastic bit that goes into the speedo has me a bit wet though. It goes over the drive cable not the outer and goes into the rear of the speedo and looks like it had several skinny lenghts coming off it that actualy drive the speedo, looks a bit like a squid if that helps

Cooch
    Last edited by Cooch Goodwin; 16th September 2005 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooch Goodwin
    Thanks Alan if nothing turns up I will have to try and manufacture something along your lines.

I must admit I was not as gentle as a poofters caress when removing the retaining speing clip, should have known the plastic would be brittle.

The little plastic bit that goes into the speedo has me a bit wet though. It goes over the drive cable not the outer and goes into the rear of the speedo and looks like it had several skinny lenghts coming off it that actualy drive the speedo, looks a bit like a squid if that helps

Cooch
    Hey Cooch, it sounds like you might need a speedo and cable from a wreck.
    There's a local wrecker here that had 2 CXs a few months ago. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll have a look next time I'm over there.
    Cheers...George 1/8th.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th
    There's a local wrecker here that had 2 CXs a few months ago. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll have a look next time I'm over there.
    Cheers...George 1/8th.
    Thanks George I will keep you in mind, I am going to ring some places and see how mutch money thet are new.

Hoo roo
    Cooch

Quote Originally Posted by Cooch Goodwin
    Thanks George I will keep you in mind, I am going to ring some places and see how mutch money thet are new.

Hoo roo
    Cooch

About $70 but there is a place in Melbourne who can make them up but they usually need to have your old cable sent down as a sample.
    Incidentally, the place who custom makes them, does them for much better prices than Citroen and will add a couple of inches if you think it will make fitting any easier.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th
    Cheers...George 1/8th.
    George

If you can name the wreckers I will give them a ring and see if they can help coz I think you are right about having to get a speedo as well as the cable. Failing that I will have to dick around and try to bodgie the drive up as I think the afore mentioned little plastic bit that goes on the end ot the cable is actually part of the speedo. I am not going to pay $70-00 for a new cable only to find I need a speedo as well.

I have had the instrument cluster in and out several times over the last couple of days trying different things with it. Alan Ss idea with the end of a silastic gun worked to attach the cable and speedo together but still no action on the dial.

I am also having trouble with the printed circuit for the intrument (speedo,tacho) lights, where the circuit makes contact with the bayonet contacts for the bulbs. The copper has lifted and broken away fron the backing plastic film. When I first got the CX I fixed the problem but not well enough. Think Ill try copper foil as they use in leadlighting or a product for fixing rear demisters that you paint on, even a bit of fine wire soldered to a good bit of the circuit and glued around the bulb hole then sand the glue off the surface of the wire for contact, sooo many options one is bound to work.

Look foward to hearing from you

Cooch

PS Rang George in Sydney mentioned in UFOs post in the cars wanted - sale section but a bloke from Camden bought it for $50-00. Just what I wanted $200-00 to go get it home then park it under a tarp for spares.

Story of my life.

The Late Cooch
    Last edited by Cooch Goodwin; 19th September 2005 at 03:41 PM.

Thread Information