Advertisement

MAKE/MODEL: Citroen XM
    YEAR: 1996
    ODOMETER: 145kms
    PRICE: $20,000.00
    BODY: hatchback
    TRANSMISSION: automatic
    FUEL Diesel
    Citroen XM Exclusive series 2 hatch 1996 turbo diesel, auto, 6 LPN(45mpg), 145kms, met dark green, electric everything, RXA160, RWC, $20,000 no offers (03)54273274 Woodend.
    STATE: VIC FIRST PUBLISHED: 15 Sep 2005
    SOURCE: Private Classifieds (Melbourne Trading Post)
    There you go Shane, another for the collection.

What a ripper; Turbo diesel and Auto to boot.
    Would make for a very relaxing and speedy caravan holiday.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Just spotted this on the Trading Post.

There you go Shane, another for the collection.

What a ripper; Turbo diesel and Auto to boot.
    Would make for a very relaxing and speedy caravan holiday.

Alan S
    Missing one of the most crucial points ... Is it a 2.5 or 2.1 ... I think a 2.1 would struggle pulling the big XM and caravan too....

Do you think Ang would notice if she went out oneday and found that parked in the drive instead of the Xantia

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

If it was the same colour she would never notice

Trust me Shane, the 2.1 would not struggle one little bit, they go like stink!!!!
    My mate docchevron1472 had a 2.1 auto diesel, which I had a go in, and at 100mph, you felt like you could open the door and step out! (very foolish if you did!)
    It would not notice a caravan, honest!
    john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Yeah but it's still a slugomatic ... I think there really good ... If your dissabled I'll get one when my left leg is chopped off for any reason

Still I think I'd prefer the 2.5, it's a big chunk of capacity to make up for (this isn't a HDi being an XM remember, it's just the old bog standard turbo deisel). You'd be road raged off the road if you tried to cruise everywhere at 80km/h.

The old CX2.2 deisel non turbo wagon would probably sit on 90+mph too.... I assure you with no doubts at all, it would tow a caravan too.... 1st and 2nd gear would become very popular choices though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

It might only be a 2.1 turbo diesel, BUT you forget it's a 12 valve engine. That makes a big difference! When the turbo comes in at about 1800rpm, you can feel it, OK, not like the cx turbo, but it still pulls very strongly indeed! john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

I used to haul a trailer years ago that had a 2 ton capacity and was a covered in square looking thing and I towed it on several 800 klms round trips all using an E2200 Mazda diesel van so I can't see that a more modern designed engine with a turbo coupled to an auto would struggle with the average modern low roof caravan.
    The only thing I reckon you'd have to worry about would be how far it might stretch the drawbar.
    But when youthink about it, soup burner, hairdryer, swampbox and hydactive suspension.....what a combination.

Alan S

I think this may be the one I was looking at when I got my XM. Can't be to many dark green XM 2.1 TD in victoria!

It was a UK import so check that the milage is 145km not Miles. Also when I talked to the seller he could not provide any history (all lost when it was imported).

The 2.1 is a bit slow around town but at highway speeds it has plenty of go when the turbo cuts in. 80 to 100 MPH is where it shines. I am not a fan of autos but it suits the engine and car perfectly except the gearing is not good for 50km/h suburbia. Mine has given no problems but this is the dreaded ZF box that self destructs later in its life.

From what I have read the 2.5 has over heating problems meaning that most get cracked heads later in life. Blown heads are common place.

Despite all the above the only reason I don't get this is that I have one!

regards
    sean

I have to say that the XM I had left France with a 2.0i petrol lump with the ZF auto' box. When purchased the box had no drive so I ripped the whole lot out and dropped another 2.0i auto drivetrain in it. It went well but drank petrol faster than I could throw it in! So I ripped the lump out again and stuffed a 2.1 12v turbo diesel in it, with the correct diesel autobox. It went like hell! The autobox suited the car really well, much more pleasurable to drive than any of the manual XM's I've driven. Alas the crank broke and trashed the engine. By then I'd spent all of my piggy bank so it went to the crushers. I still regret scrapping the car. The paint was awful but the leather interior was great, the climate control was great, it's ability to cruise effortlessly way above the legal limit was great, the fuel economy was great. God I miss that car.
    BX 19RD Hybrid, BX 16Valve Phase 2 , BX 19GTI Hurricane, unique BX 17TD Automatic

The 2.5 engine is not a patch on the 2.1. I dont know many people over here that rate them at all. A well set up 2.1 (especially on the s2 XM) is a much better engine.
    The main problem with the autoboxes is overheating. A big problem over here so it must be worse in Australia. I always changed the ATF every 3000miles. So long as the bands are adjusted properly and the pressure is spot on, with regular oil changes the box is easily capable of 250000miles before a rebuild is required
    See ya
    Chris G
    BX 19RD Hybrid, BX 16Valve Phase 2 , BX 19GTI Hurricane, unique BX 17TD Automatic

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by docchevron1472
    So long as the bands are adjusted properly and the pressure is spot on, with regular oil changes the box is easily capable of 250000miles before a rebuild is required
    See ya
    Chris G
    Now thats put a smile on my face!

Quote Originally Posted by sdabel
    Now thats put a smile on my face!
    Yeah, big difference to the 120K klms that they get out here once our guys start stuffing Dex3 in them hey?

As a side note to this, we had a bit of a disaster yesterday when a GT-R blew an engine whilst out on a road test. So I got the call to go and rescue it.
    Hooked it onto the Xantia 2.0i and hauled it home like nothing which included one excursion up a slight embankment to get enough room to swing it around fairly quickly on a fairly busy road with a 100kph speed limit and just over a rise.
    When the load was applied, the Xantia sat down in the assend but when the hydractive sensors kicked in and the rear rose quite smartly it gave us enough bite on the front wheels to make the driver of the big ricer pop his eyes almost out the way it hoofed off and sitting on the speed limit was no problem apart from his brake booster being inactive due to the seized engine. Kinda made me feel good, towing something that I'm always hearing has "legendary reliability" with my 227,00 klms old French unreliable FWD that's hopeless for towing with.

Alan S

Tadpole

Going very slightly off topic for a second here - I have just been googling and reading up about Aussie caravans - and was amazed to find the average weight is about 1700kgs (unladen) - and that the could be towed by a Fraud Falcon - so had a look at wahat the Falcon was and bugger me, if it isnt a Mondeo with a big chuff off engine....

This is a car that in the UK (with its biggest 2.5L engine) Fraud say is capable of towing only 1300Kgs.

So what gives - why one rule for Aus and one for the UK????

I know my HDi Xantia will pull more than Cit UK's recomended 1200KGS - I wanna big Aussie van, not my leaky swift with fold out beds

Icon6

The aussie cars are bigger and have hugely (ie: massivly) powerful V6 and V8 motors. If I jump in the cheapest crapiest Ford Fowlcan I can buy new it'll tow 2.5tons and do 0-100km/h in 7.8seconds (yes, it's every bit as fast as a CX GTi Turbo) ..... That's the slowest base model They weigh at nearly 2tons if you get the AWD version of the fawlcan wagon.

eg: My fathers standard 16' quite modern caravan would weigh about 1300kgs empty (which means my CX turbo can legally tow it)......... Or can it, the caravan has a 90kg tongue weight.... CX's is maximum of 75kg if I remember correctly as does the Xantia. My fathers AWD Mastabishi Verada has a 150kg (from memory) tongue weight. Yes the hydraulically suspended doesn't have the tongue weight of the same sized coil sprung local car (stupid or what, we all know the hydraulics Cit's will take massive drawbar weights with no issues). Why do Citroen rate there cars so with so low towing capabilities

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 4th October 2005 at 10:16 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Do you think Ang would notice if she went out oneday and found that parked in the drive instead of the Xantia
    She'd notice a Falcon in its place.

Just grab a badge off my Fuego or 16 and shove it on the front, tell her its my 16TX project

David.