DS sphere changing? gas leak in system
  • Help

Default DS sphere changing? gas leak in system

This morning I had a look at my DS hydraulics as it has not been working optimally for some time, ie bit too slow to rise generally and now takes ages to rise in the front - the pump runs all the time to get the car to rise . The steering is tight and the brakes a patch of their former selves (I am not driving it therefore). About 2 months ago I had all four main spheres regassed but I did'nt take off the accumulator to be checked. I am about to do that today now that I have rigged up a home made test bench - tight corner to get the accumulator out of though - is there a trick?
    Anyway, i put the car on ramps, set height to low, opened bleed screw on regulator pumped brake pedal a bit and then decided to take off one front sphere to also release some pressure in system before getting underneath to remove the accumulator to find that that front sphere was really tight like there was still pressure in the system. I undid it a fair way until LHM mixed with air or gas starting hissing out under pressure, so I have left it on for now. I also noticed that the return lhm into the reservoir tank seems aerosolised. I am presuming that a diaphragm has ruptured leaking Nitrogen gas into the lhm circuit. Any advice would be appreciated - it is probably time to get a few jobs done by Denton Christie anyway

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by citx2
    This morning I had a look at my DS hydraulics as it has not been working optimally for some time, ie bit too slow to rise generally and now takes ages to rise in the front - the pump runs all the time to get the car to rise . The steering is tight and the brakes a patch of their former selves (I am not driving it therefore). About 2 months ago I had all four main spheres regassed but I did'nt take off the accumulator to be checked. I am about to do that today now that I have rigged up a home made test bench - tight corner to get the accumulator out of though - is there a trick?
    Anyway, i put the car on ramps, set height to low, opened bleed screw on regulator pumped brake pedal a bit and then decided to take off one front sphere to also release some pressure in system before getting underneath to remove the accumulator to find that that front sphere was really tight like there was still pressure in the system. I undid it a fair way until LHM mixed with air or gas starting hissing out under pressure, so I have left it on for now. I also noticed that the return lhm into the reservoir tank seems aerosolised. I am presuming that a diaphragm has ruptured leaking Nitrogen gas into the lhm circuit. Any advice would be appreciated - it is probably time to get a few jobs done by Denton Christie anyway
    After leaving it for 30 min both front spheres came off easily - no gas. Looks like there is only one way to get the accumulator out and that is upwards by releasing the regulator from it's mountings and lifting both reg and accumulator and then undoing accumulator - it looks like a cx style accumulator

It sounds like the hydraulic pump is on the way out, either a cracked swash plate or worn seals.

Fellow Frogger!

I agree, sounds like a faulty pump, lack of pressure and and air in hydraulics both pointing to the pump, alternatively the air might be getting in through the suction hose from tank to pump.

The accumulator sphere might be got at from underneath, on my car I removed the regulator and shpere together, a fiddly but straightforward job. On mine the sphere was tight on the accumulator, I ended up bolting the accumulator to the garage wall and using the wrench to undo the sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb
    I agree, sounds like a faulty pump, lack of pressure and and air in hydraulics both pointing to the pump, alternatively the air might be getting in through the suction hose from tank to pump.

The accumulator sphere might be got at from underneath, on my car I removed the regulator and shpere together, a fiddly but straightforward job. On mine the sphere was tight on the accumulator, I ended up bolting the accumulator to the garage wall and using the wrench to undo the sphere.
    thanks for that , at least the pump is easy to remove. The pump is serviceable isn't it?

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by citx2
    thanks for that , at least the pump is easy to remove. The pump is serviceable isn't it?
    Do we really think it's the pump?? If you have just regassed four spheres could you not have air in the system? I'd get the accumulator regassed and fully bleed the system before looking at the pump.

Yes, pumps can be re-conditioned....

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information