Suitable head unit to replace Clarion in XM
  • Help

Default Suitable head unit to replace Clarion in XM

Would appreciate any advice on replacing the radio cassette player in a 1992 XM 2.0i.

The car's original Clarion unit has died, and ideally I'd like to be able to replace it with something that can interface with the volume controls on the steering wheel.

Thanks again for the excellent forum. Just purchased the XM. It's a private import from GB with about 200Ks, and seems generally sound.

Advertisement
    1992 Citroen XM 2.0i Prestige 1989 Peugeot 205 GTI S2 (Little Red Car for sale) 1998 Volvo V70R AWD (Big Red Car)

I think that you can get converter leads for various sony units. They come up on fleaBay every so often.

Other option is to replace it with another Clarion unit- again look on FleaBay for this.

Pretty sure that the S1 and S2 are not interchangable.

regards
    sean

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by blomquvist
    Would appreciate any advice on replacing the radio cassette player in a 1992 XM 2.0i.

The car's original Clarion unit has died, and ideally I'd like to be able to replace it with something that can interface with the volume controls on the steering wheel.

Thanks again for the excellent forum. Just purchased the XM. It's a private import from GB with about 200Ks, and seems generally sound.
    Congrats on your new purchase...

2.0i manual?? can't help with the head unit sorry, mine has cruise on the steering. Get along to one of the car audio outlets and I'm sure you'll find a modern headunit with the appropiate inter-face.

You'll have to get some pics of your car on the forum for us to oggle

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

You'd be able to get a converter for the controls for Blaupunkt or Alpine quite easily. If you're running a Clarion deck now, they might still be compatible. I wouldn't touch anything Sony. Their decks are nothing short of horrid and a bad match for the classy XM.

I'd check out Blaupunkt, think that'd suit the XM quite well.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

Yes, car is a 2.0 fuel injected 8-valve with around 128 bhp. It's the UK Prestige model, with leather, climate control, sunroof, etc. Not a rocket by any stretch of the imagination, but enough to keep up with the traffic, cruise at speed and great fuel economy on long runs. Did 500 k in the past three days in considerable comfort. And Bertone did a nice job with the body work.

Car needs paint on the bonnet and the two little panels above the C-pillars, a new ariel and a few bits and pieces. Will post some pics in the near future.

Cheers,

Greg
    1992 Citroen XM 2.0i Prestige 1989 Peugeot 205 GTI S2 (Little Red Car for sale) 1998 Volvo V70R AWD (Big Red Car)

Quote Originally Posted by blomquvist
    Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

Yes, car is a 2.0 fuel injected 8-valve with around 128 bhp. It's the UK Prestige model, with leather, climate control, sunroof, etc. Not a rocket by any stretch of the imagination, but enough to keep up with the traffic, cruise at speed and great fuel economy on long runs. Did 500 k in the past three days in considerable comfort. And Bertone did a nice job with the body work.

Car needs paint on the bonnet and the two little panels above the C-pillars, a new ariel and a few bits and pieces. Will post some pics in the near future.

Cheers,

Greg
    Get those pics organised Greg
    A friend of ours has the 2.0 Turbo again a private import, it's certainly no slug... those plastic trims above the C pillar have faded on mine too, only part of the paintwork that lets it down. They are a pretty car hey, very nice enjoy

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information