CX C-Matic Distributor
  • Help

Default CX C-Matic Distributor

Hi All,
    I've been reading through previous threads about CX distributors, and I am a little bit confused as to what distributor cap I have on my distributor.
    I am pretty sure I have a Ducellier distributor, as it has a vacuum advance capsule
    (which doesnt work), and it has the condenser that just screws on the side.

Advertisement

From reading the posts, it seems that the Ducellier distributor should have a brown cap, yet I have a black cap, which doesnt seem to fit very well, in fact it was on 180 deg out when I got the car, (as per the little tab on the inside rim).
    Even so it still doesnt fit as snugly as it should, and the engine has a slight miss at proper idle speed. I,ve set the dwell to 55deg, and timing to 10deg, and it runs quite well, I get about 22mpg on a trip (sitting on 110-120kph).
    Just wondering if the cap is the correct one.
    Apart from that, I've done 4000kms in the CX since my last posts, and it has run like a dream without any problems.
    Terry

Normally, it's the Magnetti Marelli that has the black cap; Ducellier is normally brown.

Fuel consumption you quote is = to approx 13L/100 klms which on a trip is far too high. My CX C-matic did better than that around town and was down into the 8s on a trip. The guy who bougt it questioned whether 9L/100klms was accepteable when he drove it 1200 klms in one hit!!

I have been told that the vacuum module on the distributor is no longer available but given the number of cars that would have had them fitted that are no longer running and the fact that Ducellier was a fairly big supplier of ignition parts, I still reckon if you dig deep enough, you'll find one. I'd suggest you get a cap at the same time. It seems the caps are reasonably plentiful, but the bases are somewhat scarce so you have the hard to get bit, set it up with the rest of the bits and you may find a difference. Also check that the hoses leading to the distributor and breather system haven't been set up in such a way so as to be inadvertantly sucking air as this will knock the MPG around and is something most owners don't realise is happening.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I had a good look at the cap in the daylight, and it has Ducellier on the top of the cap, and it is black, so I guess it is the right cap. I'll replace it and the rotor button anyway, maybe try to source another Dizzie to do up and put in.
    The car has just started missing at 2000rpm, but below and above that runs well, but I havent changed the leads yet.
    I put the timing light on it, and the 10 deg mark moves back and forward a bit, setting the timing was like guessing the mean average position, which is why I suspect the distributor. There doesnt seem to be any significant wear in the distributor shaft bearing though.
    Thanks for the help
    Terry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedog
    I had a good look at the cap in the daylight, and it has Ducellier on the top of the cap, and it is black, so I guess it is the right cap. I'll replace it and the rotor button anyway, maybe try to source another Dizzie to do up and put in.
    The car has just started missing at 2000rpm, but below and above that runs well, but I havent changed the leads yet.
    I put the timing light on it, and the 10 deg mark moves back and forward a bit, setting the timing was like guessing the mean average position, which is why I suspect the distributor. There doesnt seem to be any significant wear in the distributor shaft bearing though.
    Thanks for the help
    Terry
    Timing bouncing around when you use a timing light is usualy points no gap varying and burnt.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Alan's point was interesting
    I am thinking about swapping the carby on my "new" C-matic for the one that I had serviced from my crashed car, but I have never seen a clear diagram that shows the correct layout of the vacuum setup for these CX2400 Cmatics with vacuum advance on the dist.
    Does anyone know where there is such a diagram or photo?
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Timing bouncing around when you use a timing light is usualy points no gap varying and burnt.

seeya,
    shane L.

Good luck with finding the correct distributor (for both of us!).
    I have been searching for one for a couple of months and had no responses yet. A local guy has more than a dozen CX's and not one of these has this dizzy! He is not very familiar with the type that we are looking for so they may be quite a challenge to get hold of one. Mine has the 2200 ducellier fitted and no matter how much I've had it tuned does not manage to pull the engine along like it should. The way Alan's CX could start at the base of a hill at 80k's and be doing 100k's at the top is yet to be realised but I will get it there eventually.
    Cheers, Andy

I don't have any trouble with power, and can accelerate going up hills ok, and it goes along the freeway like a rocket, it just has a miss at 2000rpm that has just developed.
    I havent had time to check it out too much,(12 Hr Shifts), but I have to take the points out and check, also look at the dodgey wiring around the coil area.
    I also have to look at the carby, as the exhaust is running black, which indicates that it is running rich, so I will have to adjust the float level, ( the engine has only used 500ml of oil in 4000kms).
    I found if the timing was not 10degs, performance did suffer on premium98, which they gracefully let us purchase here for $1.36/Litre.
    Your carby being from a 2200, is probably set up with the wrong advance curve,
    which is controlled by the weights in the distributor (and the vacuum capsule). You can alter this by bending the tab which the spring under the baseplate (so I'm told), but not sure which spring or tab.
    Terry

Hi, I have another question regarding the Ducelleor Distributor?
    Are the points meant to have a circlip on the shaft that the points pivot on, as every time I take the cap off, the points have "ridden" up the shaft, which means the moving and fixed contact move away from each other in the vertical plane.

I noticed that there is a groove in the pivot shaft that looks like it could be for a circlip. Although if there is meant to be one, it would be an absolute nightmare taking it on and off

Thanks Terry

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedog
    Hi, I have another question regarding the Ducelleor Distributor?
    Are the points meant to have a circlip on the shaft that the points pivot on, as every time I take the cap off, the points have "ridden" up the shaft, which means the moving and fixed contact move away from each other in the vertical plane.

I noticed that there is a groove in the pivot shaft that looks like it could be for a circlip. Although if there is meant to be one, it would be an absolute nightmare taking it on and off

Thanks Terry
    Hi fellas

Yep the points are held on with a circlip. My CX vac adv thingy on the side of the Ducelleor distributer was stuffed and I replaced it with one from a 403 Pug with a bit of work.

may help you guys

Cooch

Thread Information