Rust protection
  • Help

Thread: Rust protection

Icon5 Rust protection

Any one tryed this?
    Benefits of Electronic Rust Protection / Rust Proofing
    Higher resale value. A properly cared for car with no rust will achieve a far higher resale or lease-end value than a well-cared for car that exhibits signs of rust.
    A cleaner car. Air-borne dust will no longer be attracted to your car.
    Eliminate static shocks from your car. Suffer no more pain during dry weather.
    A better looking car. Rust is unsightly.
    A safer car. Structural components can fail due to excessive rusting.
    Keep your car longer. A car with rust will not last as long as a rust-free car.
    Not even scratches will rust!

http://www.paintprotection.com.au/ru...p#static_shock

Something I'm thinking alot about at the moment

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If it's a sacrificing anode it should work. I forget the specifics, but they have a sacrificial lump of metal somewhere that rusts/corrodes away... This in turn protects the ships hull. I'll have to look it up, but most certainly it must work.

Infact there's quite a bit of stuff on this ... I'm not sure if it's effective on cars (after all they aren't immersed in salty water). Maybe try to find some evidence NOT "user testimonials"

google link

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Sacrificial anodes only work where there is somewhere for the "stuff" to go, (tec talk). Therefore, unless you are carrying around a significant bit of the Pacific Ocean in the boot it wont work.

The only way to rust proof the car is to exclude O2, (no bare metal), and the medium for electron transfer,H2O, and an electrolyte, Wet crap.

The lesson hath ended.

Barbie time, fuelled by snake oil.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

I don't profess to be a expert, but I believe these things do, in fact, work. The 4wd's at lake Mccleod (solar salt works) or someplace use them with no corrosion. They've been around too long to be "snake oil"
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

These sacrafical anodes work great ........................ if you drive in the ocean all the time. Part of the theory of it revolves around the nobility levels of the various metals - for instance tin does not rust and as such is wrapped around steel cans to put food in while the tin is intact it protects the vunerable steel, but when a scratch occurs the steel which is lower in nobility than tin will give itself up to protect the tin and rust will occur. Zinc on the other hand is lower than steel and gives itself up to protect the steel, that is why gal plating is so successful. It is also why it works for ships in a saline solution to help the atom transfer.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

This system is not based on a sacrificial anode, but is electronic.
    www.roemarketing.com.au (don't know how to put in links)
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Fellow Frogger!

I lived within sight of breaking waves - no garage - with prevailing onshore winds - and I bought one of these electronic units (roe marketing) that send a charge through the body of the car (Daimler 250 V8).

My car was parked beside My girlfriends '75 Mercedes.

Within weeks you could tell the difference in the Cars - My girlfriends car had the tell tale brown stains appearing around almost every join, crack or point of moisture.. The Daimler seemed unchanged. My girlfriend wrote the Merc off but the daimler stayed in very good condition until someone bought it from me some 9 months later...

I reckon they are worth the price - my situation was pretty dramatic but proved to me at least that in that case it worked pretty well.

If you are respraying though - nothing beats taking anti-corrosion measures at the bare-metal stage. I think that these units are more of an after thought in between resprays or extra protection for the suprememly cautious.
    Last edited by Aaron; 22nd August 2005 at 10:39 AM.

How much was it Aaron?
    cheers
    mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Fellow Frogger!

It was about $400 delivered to sunny Newcastle - very simple installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren25
    This system is not based on a sacrificial anode, but is electronic.
    www.roemarketing.com.au (don't know how to put in links)
    Cheers
    Mike
    This looks like something that I tried to chase up a year or two ago, as it had been used by a contract mining company at, was it Telfer in WA?

Anyway, I got nowhere, as no-one in the company could provide me with any advice, at least that I could find.

All corrosion is due to some sort of local electrochemical cell caused by different metals, varying access to oxygen or odd things that aren't always obvious or intuitive. This might work - interesting website, for which thanks.

And you have a Xantia in Perth, so we are neighbours. Do we know one another??

Cheers

JohnW

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    This looks like something that I tried to chase up a year or two ago, as it had been used by a contract mining company at, was it Telfer in WA?

Anyway, I got nowhere, as no-one in the company could provide me with any advice, at least that I could find.

All corrosion is due to some sort of local electrochemical cell caused by different metals, varying access to oxygen or odd things that aren't always obvious or intuitive. This might work - interesting website, for which thanks.

And you have a Xantia in Perth, so we are neighbours. Do we know one another??

Cheers

JohnW

Prob. not John. I'm the original hills hermit. Only bought the Xantia a month or so ago for my girlfriend to replace her much loved but pretty s*****d Volvo360. She loves it, as you would after driving an uncared for v***o with 400k on the clock. I am impressed with the Xantia, ie. smooth, quiet, doesnt rattle & shake like my R25, but I find it a little bland, I like my wheels with abit of character, so will put up with niggles like no speedo or fuel guage, and forgive the car, 'cause it's a Ren. Had 12s 18s and now the 25, for around 4 yrs now. Love it
    Mike
    edit I've just realised that my rant about renaults has been posted in this cit forum-sorry folks
    Last edited by Ren25; 22nd August 2005 at 09:51 PM.
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Prob. not John. I'm the original hills hermit. Only bought the Xantia a month or so ago. I am impressed with the Xantia, ie. smooth, quiet, doesnt rattle & shake like my R25, but I find it a little bland, I like my wheels with abit of character, so will put up with niggles like no speedo or fuel guage, and forgive the car, 'cause it's a Ren. Had 12s 18s and now the 25, for around 4 yrs now. Love it
    Mike
    edit I've just realised that my rant about renaults has been posted in this cit forum-sorry folks
    I forgive you, having an R8, 16TS and 750!!! You've summed up the Xantia perfectly. Competent and well designed, but a tad boring. Do you want to buy mine too???

I'm interested in that anti-corrosion system, living near the sea - I notice that Wallis Drilling use it, and they are one smart company, so I will ring them up and ask direct.

Cheers

JohnW

Fellow Frogger!

That $400 was for the 'heavy duty' one and there may be a cheaper option.

I have heard a few positive stories from motorhomers about these units also.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    I forgive you, having an R8, 16TS and 750!!! You've summed up the Xantia perfectly. Competent and well designed, but a tad boring. Do you want to buy mine too???

I'm interested in that anti-corrosion system, living near the sea - I notice that Wallis Drilling use it, and they are one smart company, so I will ring them up and ask direct.

Cheers

JohnW
    Yeah he has summed it up perfectly The Xantias problem is it does everything with such consumate ease .... and very well ... it's just boring.

Eg: My cousin called around a couple of weeks back in his Laguna that is the same age as the Xantia. But are ... er... 'sedate' 2litre 8valve slugomatics.... The thing with the Renault ... Those seats ... Why the hell isn't Citroen still fiiting amazingly comfy seats like Renault

The Renault does everything well ... A great car to drive. The Xantia is bland all over including look and feel as compared to the Luguna ... Yet probably does most things better. It rides better, handles better, and feels more solid around you. an example of ease and safety, my cousing was on the edge of his seat... I was driving down a single lane road with 2wheels in badly potholed gravel edge on the road "This is how I crashed the Charade years ago "...... My response This is a Citroen watch this .... I take my hands off the steering wheel and stamp on the brakes.... The ABS does it's magic giving my foot a nice massage, my cousin can hear the pedal vibrating under my foot... The car does a rapid fuss free dead straight stop from 80km/h with my hands off the steering wheel, 2wheels in the gravel and the ABS on ..... Like I said, the Xantia does *everything* extremely compentantly and safely.

Me I'll stick to my "not boring" CX thanks

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I take my hands off the steering wheel and stamp on the brakes.... The car does a rapid fuss free dead straight stop from 80km/h with my hands off the steering wheel...
    With both your hands off the wheel, what would've happened if it didn't come to a fuss free dead straight stop?

It's a friggin car with 1000's of components, all it needs is for one to fail - ABS sensor failure perhaps...

I'd be on the edge of my seat as well ...

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    With both your hands off the wheel, what would've happened if it didn't come to a fuss free dead straight stop?
    I would let the brakes off and grab hold of the steering wheel

It's a friggin car with 1000's of components, all it needs is for one to fail - ABS sensor failure perhaps...

I'd be on the edge of my seat as well ...
    If your ever in Ballarat I'm willing to do exactly the same demonstration in a '63 ID19 with no power steering, no ABS .... No nothing.

The DS23 ie 5spd we drove home from Melbourne about 2years back ... We drove it through the traffic (doing several VERY heavy braking stops)... Drove it around the block from french connection, where I did a crash stop as someone came down one of the back streets at VERY high speed that I had to give way to at the last second.

When we got back Dave asks "how are the brakes".... Me: "Typical DS brakes, potent and excellent" ... he puts the car up on the hoist, grabs the left hand front brake caliper and spins it around in his hands "it's worn though and not doing anything .... The brakes grab the caliper, but the the wheel keeps spinning... ie: the car has only 1 front brake the other wheel is doing no braking AT ALL

Yet the car drives perfectly, doesn't pull to one side ... nothing... It's impossible to tell that only one front brake is working from the drivers seat.

I'm not stupid either, my hands were right there ready to grab the steering wheel.... I've only driven these cars since I was about 14years old ... So what would I know Even if the ABS stopped working .... The net result would be the tires in the gravel skidding .... and nothing else ... still no vear ... I can pull the ABS fuse and demonstrate if you like.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Administrator

Shane,

Before jumping on your high horse, just think about it...

I was driving down a single lane road (at 80kph) with 2 wheels in badly potholed gravel edge on the road
    How wide is a single lane road? 5 meters maximum?

I take my hands off the steering wheel and stamp on the brakes.... The ABS does it's magic giving my foot a nice massage, my cousin can hear the pedal vibrating under my foot...
    Obviously you've given the brakes a good stab, as the ABS has activated...

Even with your hands hovering just above the steering wheel, if your car suffered a mechanical failure (and it does happen...even to well maintained cars) you are travelling at about 23m/s. Reaction time is typically about 0.5seconds. Another 0.3 seconds to grab the steering wheel. By the time you even touched the wheel you've probably travelled 20 (uncontrolled) meters on a road with a gravel verge...I'll let you figure out the rest...

The Xantia may very well do *everything* extremely compentantly and safely, but it can't make up for drivers showing off...

Probably not a good example to share with us, unless you were trying to demonstrate how little responsibilty you demonstrate while driving or how little you care for the life of your passenger...

As for you giving me a demonstration? In a big empty car park, with nothing to hit. Go for your life...

Oh Richard chill out will you. You don't know what the situation was. Shane was telling a story to illustrate a point, like the old testament, mate, you don't have to take it literally. Incidentally Shane, I thought the story showed very well the competence of the Xantia.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Administrator

Oh Richard chill out will you.
    I get that a bit

Now......what was that about rust?
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Fellow Frogger!

Oh yeah...
    $400 for a heavy duty model.
    works a treat.
    No need to have your hands on the wheel while its working.. It cuts out at 12.7 volts or something like that so that the electro-rust thingy-bob doesn't flatten your battery.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Shane,

Before jumping on your high horse, just think about it...

How wide is a single lane road? 5 meters maximum?

Obviously you've given the brakes a good stab, as the ABS has activated...

Even with your hands hovering just above the steering wheel, if your car suffered a mechanical failure (and it does happen...even to well maintained cars) you are travelling at about 23m/s. Reaction time is typically about 0.5seconds. Another 0.3 seconds to grab the steering wheel. By the time you even touched the wheel you've probably travelled 20 (uncontrolled) meters on a road with a gravel verge...I'll let you figure out the rest...

The Xantia may very well do *everything* extremely compentantly and safely, but it can't make up for drivers showing off...

Probably not a good example to share with us, unless you were trying to demonstrate how little responsibilty you demonstrate while driving or how little you care for the life of your passenger...

As for you giving me a demonstration? In a big empty car park, with nothing to hit. Go for your life...
    Richard your talking to someone here that driven paddock bombs around gravel roads/paddocks from the age of 14years... If a car can do something ... I've done it ... many times ...

Lets see... Imagine we completely lost both front wheels... I'd say the car would skid along on it's guts for a couple of hundred meters ... The worst thing that could happen is it hit a farm fence WITH BLOODY GREAT ACRES OF FARMLAND BOTH SIDES. There IS nothing to hit

I had my 11month old daughter in the car, do you really think I would risk her life "just to show off ". My hands were hovering around the steering wheel... all I had to do was close my hands ... in the blink of an eye I'd have the steering wheel again.

What's your problem ??? the only thing that could cause control loss under the circumstance is a bloody road train driving through the paddocs and T boning me

If you think I was picking on the Luguna... your dead wrong... I'd get one in a heartbeat. The bland as sh!t Xantia just happens to be the best value car (given the price) that I can afford. A similary spec'd Laguna is worth more for what I consider an equivilant car in most aspects.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Icon13

Back to the topic of the thread....

Those rust protection things do not work. I believe they have been banned from sale in the US because they are snake oil. They cannot work. Their only possible mechanism of protection would be cathodic protection - ie a sacrificial anode. That only works when there is a path for electrons to flow in a circuit through the body AND back to the other side of the anode (I can't remember which way). The air will not conduct well enough for this to happen. The car would need to be submerged for it to work.

Anyone who thinks it works should be prepared to show results of a controlled study where some cars were fitted with it and some cars weren't, and all were kept in the same location for long enough to show an effect.

If such a study had been done and had shown the devices to be successful, the makers of the devices would certainly be quoting it. But they don't quote it. They just say, in answer to the "Does it work" question (in their own ads), "We've sold over 20,000 units and not had one legitimate warranty claim."

They may as well be politicians with that kind of question avoidance technique.

Thread Information