I recently reported a problem with the gearbox on my C5 V6 where it changed down from 2nd to 1st with quite a thump when it was warm. A few days ago I took the car to an old established Citroen house in Sydney where they check the car over and made sure that the oil was the correct grade etc. They found that the softwars for the engine management system was not up to date so they downloaded the latest edition which has different gear change points. So far there is a vast improvement in the gear change, although from what other owners tell me, the gearbox is not renowned for its smoothness.

Advertisement

On another matter, I also mentioned a "Flat Spot" when backing off the accelerator and then accelerating again, at fairly low speed. The mechanic looked at the rubber mat I had which went up under the accelerator, covering the small black button on the floor. He advised me to pull the mat down so the button was uncovered as it (the button) is part of the wire-less accelerator system. I fixed this after i got home and there has been a very big improvement to the accelerator action; smoother acceleration and gear changes, much better downchanging and so on. Strange but true....