bx 16V sunroof removal
  • Help

Icon5 bx 16V sunroof removal

Has anyone had experience in removimng the glass panel from the bx sunroof I keep on looking at mine and the steel backing panel is rusting and if I don't get to it soon it will be too late

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Talk about a sucker for punishment

I'm wondering if your CX sunroof is the same Think of the roof itself and just a normal roof with a hole in it ... The sunroof itself doesn't really have anything to do with the roof...

The sunroof is a part of the roof lining, if you remove the roof lining from the car, the sunroof will come away leaving a gaping big hole in the roof The best bit about the sunroofs design, is you don't have to worry about it leaking ... It's supposed to leak ... The rooflining is plastic and catches the leaks draining them away from 4 different drain pipes.

Usually they leak as the drain pipes are blocked causing the roof lining to fill up and overflow.

I'm sure Alan S will know of a website that explains removal.

seeya,
    shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron

I'm sure Alan S will know of a website that explains removal.

seeya,
    shane L
    There used to be one that was done up by a guy from either Holland or Sweden but it suddenly disappeared.
    I read it a couple of times but it sounded a bit scarey to me and needed 2 or 3 people to achieve.
    As Shane said, it involved ripping all the hood lining, covers off A B & C pillars and sliding it out via the hatch.
    Harry Prins who rund the CitSport website had the link and may still be able to point you at something. I knoe it was stated at the time, that one of the advantages of ripping it out was the ability to get at and strap down those bloody cables that rattle in teh roof just above the heads of the back seat passengers.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default s..t

The only bit I need to get to is the steel frame that the glass is glued to the rest is ok no leaks in the cab etc just that when you put the sunroof in tilt it is obvious that the black profiled frame is starting to rust , on my previous BX this got so bad it was distorting the glass and I was afraid it would break and being toughened glass there one minute gone the next and no I don't want to pull the car apart
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL
    The only bit I need to get to is the steel frame that the glass is glued to the rest is ok no leaks in the cab etc just that when you put the sunroof in tilt it is obvious that the black profiled frame is starting to rust , on my previous BX this got so bad it was distorting the glass and I was afraid it would break and being toughened glass there one minute gone the next and no I don't want to pull the car apart
    Dry thouroghly Wire brush followed by several coats of POR15 to seal it off ....

That's all I'd do ... Then again ... mines a bit rusty and I don't really care for the BX so I haven't bothered to do anything about it

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default The Nasty Stuff

As Neil Young Said Rust Never Sleeps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bx 16V  sunroof removal-dcp02087-small.jpg  

ash

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    There used to be one that was done up by a guy from either Holland or Sweden but it suddenly disappeared.
    Alan, do you still have the site's address bookmarked anywhere? If so, you can always try plugging it into the Wayback machine at www.archive.org - almost every website can be resurrected in this way, images and all.

Just wish I still had the Thunderfrog website bookmarked somewhere...
    1998 Xantia V6 Exclusive
    //\\ 1975 DS23 Pallas //\\ 1987 BX19 GTi //\\ 1985 BX16 TRS

Hi Archrival
    I took the sunroof out of my TZD a couple of years back to clean out the channels and check the rear drains as it was leaking into the car. If I recall, I opened it on tilt and there are 3 screws on each side and on the front edge that you undo and the glass and metal frame just lift and slide up and out - only took me a matter of minutes to do it. I never touched the headlining at all - and after running some flexible electrical wire UP the drain tubes from the rear and vacuuming the crud out of the roof cavity, it hasn't leaked since. IIRC, the HBOL has something in it about that as well.
    Cheers,
    Roscoe
    1991 BX TZD
    1990 BX 16V (x 2)
    2004 307 Touring
    1990 Mitsubishi Express Van: Alpaca Transport:

Default As I thought

Thanks for that there are so many myths around re these bl..dy sunroofs will try when I finish the S&M with the CX

Thread Information